Knocking/Pinging - Really bad or harmless?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I am very sensitive when it comes to knocking. I can't even tolerate a bit as I am afraid that it will cause serious damage to my engine. I myself am running retarded ignition with very much reduced knocking (still got a bit) on my 4AGE Blacktop.

However, I have friends who run on standard or even advanced ignition and asked me not to worry. I have test driven their cars and it knocks severely! It's difficult to even go 30% throttle at lower revs. Knocks very loud. But he said it's no issue and he has been running that for years.

I also have friends who uses 4G63T where knocking caused bent conrods and broken piston crowns!

So how dangerous is knocking actually? Harmless or harmful? If i follow my friend's advice of ignoring knocking and advancing ignition timing for more response, will it blow up my engine???

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
A few questions:

- Did it knock until the Check Engine Light comes out?

- What type of fuel you are using? Try switching fuel or petrol stations with more crowd as the stock is fresher means the grade is still there

- Are you running on engine management? Try to write down the RPM when it knocks and inform your tuner so that he can play around with the fuel, ignition timing, etc. I do experience knocking but only during sudden full load on the throttle pedal and slightly during VVT opens.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
A few questions:

- Did it knock until the Check Engine Light comes out?

- What type of fuel you are using? Try switching fuel or petrol stations with more crowd as the stock is fresher means the grade is still there

- Are you running on engine management? Try to write down the RPM when it knocks and inform your tuner so that he can play around with the fuel, ignition timing, etc. I do experience knocking but only during sudden full load on the throttle pedal and slightly during VVT opens.
No engine management. No engine checklight on.

Same like yours i guess. I have retarded timing until only slig knocking during WOT or high load at low revs. Just want to know is it really serious or harmless. Some of my friends can just ignore it even when there is a lot.

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
If your car is modded I think you should get an engine management to get it fixed but it require few trial and errors i.e. tune on dyno machine, drive it on the street. Even mine after tuned I still experience slight knocking once a while, I believe if the CEL light is not on then it should be fine as that is the warning point.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
low rev knocks not so bad. high rev knocks very bad.

adjust your timing to be less aggressive laaaaaa.. hahahaha

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

good point - get management and fix the mapping

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Pinging/knocking in the long run is harmful. This means the air fuel mixture ignites before reaching full compression.
Read more here... Engine knocking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can try out vsafe petrol booster to see if it helps eliminate this knocking.....
He was using it. Then he came across a possibly related problem. It's currently sitting with the Vsafe fellas for troubleshooting. So currently back to stock petrol minus the additive, hence all the knocking apparently. :biggrin:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Pinging/knocking in the long run is harmful. This means the air fuel mixture ignites before reaching full compression.
Read more here... Engine knocking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can try out vsafe petrol booster to see if it helps eliminate this knocking.....
As Izso said, I had some issues with Vsafe... Until it is resolved, i will cease using it. However, i must say that it reduced knocking and increased power.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
As Izso said, I had some issues with Vsafe... Until it is resolved, i will cease using it. However, i must say that it reduced knocking and increased power.
Then got to use Ron 97 liao, or try other octane booster....:smokin:

Or can try adding some 2T. I even read somewhere some add a portion of diesel into the petrol or you can try mixing Ron 95 and 97....

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Then got to use Ron 97 liao, or try other octane booster....:smokin:

Or can try adding some 2T. I even read somewhere some add a portion of diesel into the petrol or you can try mixing Ron 95 and 97....
Hahaha.. i wonder who dare to try that! Mixing diesel and petrol..

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
I am very sensitive when it comes to knocking. I can't even tolerate a bit as I am afraid that it will cause serious damage to my engine. I myself am running retarded ignition with very much reduced knocking (still got a bit) on my 4AGE Blacktop.

However, I have friends who run on standard or even advanced ignition and asked me not to worry. I have test driven their cars and it knocks severely! It's difficult to even go 30% throttle at lower revs. Knocks very loud. But he said it's no issue and he has been running that for years.

I also have friends who uses 4G63T where knocking caused bent conrods and broken piston crowns!

So how dangerous is knocking actually? Harmless or harmful? If i follow my friend's advice of ignoring knocking and advancing ignition timing for more response, will it blow up my engine???

Is your engine running stock? Just converted?

1) Do the top overhaul as blacktop engine is >10 yrs
2) If budget not allow on top overhaul:
a: check on spark plug, to understand ur air fuel mixture, this to confirm that ur firing system is running with correct.
bad firing system will let ur engine run into lean as O2 detected too much un-burn fuel.
b: Check ur O2, make sure is in good working condition
c: Change the spare plug to cooler heat range
d: pump in V-power
e: Retard ignition
f: Add in FPR

Btw, my car also run with minor knocking in low rpm, so far so good :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello all, I'm currently using a GSR Turbo with TD05H E3 turbo. Using E-Manage blue for tuning and running at 1.1 boost. I'm using E3 fuel injectors 510cc. Blitz boost controller.

I thougt of upgrading to higher topspeed. Curently I'm getting 210kh/h @ 7,000 rpm on stock GSR gear box. What's all the sifu's advice on this? Should I go for E3 gearbox? Or E1..E2 gearbox? Or just chg final gear ratio and add LSD?

What's the recommended boost? If I boost 1.5 bar, should I change the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience