Engine Knocking / Pinging

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

protnosss

Known Member
I advanced the timing of my engine for better low end power. But due to that, the engine have clicking sound when i accelerate.

I think it is a slight engine knocking / pinging sound. It is acceptable to have SLIGHT/MINOR engine knocking? What is the side effects?

Minor knocking at sometimes is accepatable, but always having knocking/pinging for long term will destroy ur piston much quicker.

In order to advance your engine Ignition Timing without pinging, you have to make sure that you are running RON97 at the very least. RON100 is best but since it is not available publicly in Malaysia the other alternative is to increase fuel supply.

Proper timing advancing should be done using Timing Gun, my advise is that you should always aim for the point where it just about to start to ping. Audible pings will actually cause your engine to lose power because once the Knock Sensor detects audible ping it will send a signal to the ECU to retard timing - and usually the ECU will retard a lot to protect the engine.

use Shell V-power then add Afterburn or something similar to raise octance... .. yes everytime u pump full tank!!! :P

thanks for the replies,

for more detail information,
the mech did use timing gun to adjust my car timing, as per his advice, my engine can only take 10, 12, and 15 degrees.
10 which is the standard, 12 makes my car more sluggish, and i opt for 15 with better response.

after advancing the timing, i drove more than 50kms with constant slight engine knocking during acceleration, after that i pour in some octane booster branded as ABRO if i remember correctly (couldn't find afterburn). next day the knocking sound is gone.

i will monitor my next fuel refill to check whether there is engine knocking or not, cause i could't afford the regular top up of octane booster. if it does, probably i have to adjust it back to 10 degree.

btw, i am using RON97 from mobil currently. will try V-power on next refill.

another thing is that, i notice the idling is not so stable anymore, and it idles at 1100rpm for some time before it drop back to 900rpm (the usual is 700-800rpm for my car).

will it increase fuel consumption?

its better not to have any detonation at all.Because too much heat ,will cause some engine failure.The force is quite strong.Even more so in a turbo engine.

an old friend of mine taught me this, to see if your timing not enough or more, take out the spark plugs and see where it changes colour,if in the middle,its just right.If closer to the top,too much ignition timing,and if closer to the bottom bit is not enough.Try it out for yourself.

i did constantly check for the temperature of the engine, seems at the same level.

regarding the method of checking spark plugs, i only can do it the next time i go the workshop as i don't have the necessary tools.

does engine knocking cause extra loss of power?

Originally posted by protnosss@Mar 21 2005, 23:24
does engine knocking cause extra loss of power?
[snapback]828830[/snapback]​

YES.

u can use shell v-power or test other petrol. mine advanced too, my mech. advised me to use esso/mobil, v-power. petronas will give cleaner engine but will get knocking.

maxx,

did your engine ping when you advanced your timing?
i have been using mobil for some time already. :)

got ping if accelarate with high gear. (eg, heavy load.)

how if we use ITC? izzit can rectify this prob? any sifu help...

hmm, i tried installing a voltage stabilizer but seems that it causes my idling to be 1500rpm with air-con off, if air-con on will be about 1000rpm..

weird..

for the knocking, try using colder sparkplug.

Top Bottom