Knocking/Pinging - Really bad or harmless?

Jose

Aug 3, 2006
sometimes even on ron97 also i experience some slight knock on my car. bad fuel ?

Actually it depends. I have tested a few different brands of 97 including Vpower Racing. The worst of the lot seems to be Shell. This applies even in Singapore when I used their RON98. I would get knocking at the higher rev ranges no matter what. Don't know what's the main difference between the brands but the best seemed to be BHP for me, followed by PETRONAS and then Esso/Mobil.

boyzone

Mar 13, 2005
Malaysia fuel not clean!
Actually it depends. I have tested a few different brands of 97 including Vpower Racing. The worst of the lot seems to be Shell. This applies even in Singapore when I used their RON98. I would get knocking at the higher rev ranges no matter what. Don't know what's the main difference between the brands but the best seemed to be BHP for me, followed by PETRONAS and then Esso/Mobil.
is very subjective as difference engine matched with difference petrol additive formula.
For me, Proton, Produa & Mitsubishi engines are well suit with Petronas.

Could be or your engine highly mod?:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

Malaysia fuel not clean!
Nowadays hear less of these cases. Those days plenty, mixing kerosene and all that....

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

You also? I tried Shell Ron97 FS formula before their V Power. It was so bad that I had to siphon the fuel out. After that no more Shell for me even though they change to V power formula.
BHP good, means their 800ppm is good?:biggrin:
Still stick to Esso/Mobil which is Petron now. Running okay and got smiles points.....hahhahahaha:biggrin:

Jose

Aug 3, 2006
Yes, mostly experience it when fuel up with shell 97. but i do experience it on mobil 1 fuel as well. it's on low rev when i wot there's slight knock on 3k rpm then the sudden surge at 4k rpm. and this usually happen on a hot sunny day. on a cool day eg 24-26'c car is smooth as silk. Suzuki Swift Sport with just some minor mods such as intake and exhaust with emu.

Sayko

Jul 24, 2014
Turkiye
i have knocking too, but when i drive with lpg, i have no any knocking with petrol... i doupt about distributor, i just bought ignition plugs and plug cables.

boyzone

Mar 13, 2005
Just pumped Caltex RON95 ...so far no knocking even though run with duratec 272 cam :proud:

TheDuckster

Jun 18, 2014
forum.lowyat.net
Sometimes it takes up to three tanks full for the engine to adjust....
so the consensus is fuel from which company experiences the least knocking? :biggrin:

Cannot say as different people have different results even with the same make of vehicle. Best is to test them yourself and see which fuel suits your car.
I tried Shell old FS formula Ron97 and it did not suit my VR so I went back to my Esso/Mobil which is now Petron. Since running fine on this I rather not test with other fuel, but another main reason also I have two Petron stations near my home....:biggrin:

muzhaffar

Dec 1, 2008
Dont expect to demolish knocking from ur blacktop. It requires ron100 as a standard

Kopi

May 18, 2004
how do you even define 'knocking'?
sounds from the cylinder head? ignition misfiring as pre-detonation?

Meet the Jaguar F-Pace. A new contender and yet another contributing proof, indicating the immense market needs for more SUVs. Nevertheless, the F-Pace combines what’s good from Jaguar and the key features wanted in the market nowadays.

Sitting in the same league as the Porsche Macan, Audi Q5 and Mercedes GLC, the Jaguar F-Pace boasts a sleeker design; taking cues from its full-size sedan sibling, the...