Installing Air Fuel ratio meter

jep3003

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2005
sifus,

need help... i want 2 install an air fuel ratio meter... can i install directly 2 my O2 sensor??? my car is a local honda civic n it doesnt come with O2 sensor... but i install a turbo kit n theres an O2 sensor...

im using an apexi pen timer n i connected the O2 wire to the sensor... reading is incorrect... so wud it work if i install a an air fuel ratio meter???

140dB

Known Member
Mar 27, 2005
johor
the apex sensor must be calibrated to your o2. i dun know how to calibrate the apex pen type timer, but my diy af meter can do that heheh. to calibrate u need a good af meter to compare wif your apex tt

ecupro

Known Member
Nov 30, 2005
Bro,
Normally, there are four types of O2 sensor.

One wire - output ( like old engine, 4G61T, VR4 )
Two wires - one is output, one is gound ( like Proton Wira )
Three wires - one is output, two more wires for heater element ( +12V and ground )
Four wires - one is output, one is gorund, two more wires for heater element (+12V and gound)

For install one wire or two wires O2 sensor, you have to place it near the extractor or turbo outlet., because this O2 sensor need to heat up in order the chemical can react ( output voltage 0.1V to 1.0V )

For install three wire or four wires O2 sensor, you have to place it after the "flex hole pile", and connect hte heater element ( to generate the heat so that the chemical can react. You need 3 minutes to heat it up with engine running,idle )

For safe side, connect a resistor 0.43 ohm 5W series with the O2 sensor ( so that the heater element don't blow off or fuse out )

Of couse, you can install the three or four wires O2 sensor near the extractor without install the heater element.

You can view on the thread "Local Ecu", i install the O2 at the "end pipe" with four wires, that is with heater element .( I can remove it any time so that i can tune with other car )

Since the wire is quit long, i did not connect the resistor.

For safe side, you can connect 0.1 ohm 5W resistor series with O2 sensor.

Arrr....the Honda O2 sensor might no work. It seem to be wide band.

I think the Apexi Turbo Timer only with standard O2 sensor, narrow band.

Good Luck.

ecupro

Known Member
Nov 30, 2005
To all,
I quote :
"For install three wire or four wires O2 sensor, you have to place it after the "flex hole pile", and connect hte heater element ( to generate the heat so that the chemical can react. You need 3 minutes to heat it up with engine running,idle )
"

Sorry, i made a mistake here.
The 3 minutes warm up is only for one or two wires O2 sensor.
For the heater element O2 sensor, it will take say 10s to 30s.

Sorry again.

Good Luck.

jep3003

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2005
thanks bro,

i already have a O2 sensor at my turbo downpipe... but dun knw frm wat car.... its 2 wires...

so wud da readings be accurate if i jus connect 2 autometer air fuel ratio meter???

ecupro

Known Member
Nov 30, 2005
Bro,
Normally, if one is blue, and the other one is white, i think it is Wira or Mitsubishi.
This O2 sensor have to heat up ( 3 minutes at least, engine running, idle )
Then, see the reading. It might give you say 14.2 to 17.0.
Then, move your car as normal ( without boost ) and check the reading, it should give you some way 13.8 to 13.4
As long as it give you low reading ( for 16.5 jump to 12.?? ). You are safe.
At least you have some ref, right!

Good Luck.

140dB

Known Member
Mar 27, 2005
johor
i think jep is now fkin confused. like his face in the pic. just jokin

jep, u said ur a/f readings is incorrect from the apex tt

what part or the readings u feel is incorrect?

when u full throttle?

part throttle?

light load?

full load?

hot day?

at night?

what a/f reading u used as ur reference?

Last edited:

pop6335

Known Member
Jan 20, 2006
hi sifu my car is NA , but y my apexi TT always show 15 on a/f hard to get 14.6 .. is the O2 sensor not work ..?

ecupro

Known Member
Nov 30, 2005
udengfahlawi
You quote :
" probably becoz most stock car are tuned to be a little rich at the factory?....hence above 14.7...."

Bro, 15 is LEAN Side and NOT RICH Side.

pop6335
You quote:
"hi sifu my car is NA , but y my apexi TT always show 15 on a/f hard to get 14.6 .. is the O2 sensor not work ..?"

Bro, what engine you are using?
Arr....grounding is a very important issued here. Please try to connect the ground wire from Apexi TT, and connect to the stock ecu's ground wire.

If you using Mitsubishi engine, there will be one white and one blue wire. Please connect the white wire ( ground wire ) to the Apexi TT's ground wire.

Good Luck.

stroker_kit

Known Member
Jan 7, 2004
How to install AF meter??

hi evry1...
my car O2 sensor has 4 wires...
1=12V(heater)
2-Ground(heater)
3-O2 signal
4-isolated ground for O2 signal

my question is, how to connect the single O2 wire from the AF meter??
tap ONLY to the single O2 wire from the O2 sensor??
how bout the isolated ground signal ?? shouldnt we include this somewhere to make sure the signal is more precise, since good grounding means good signal right? but the AF meter only give 1 wire for O2... or should i connect the ground from the AF meter to to the isolated ground signal on the O2 sensor??

thanks!!!

ecupro

Known Member
Nov 30, 2005
stroker_kit ,
You quote :
"my car O2 sensor has 4 wires...
1=12V(heater)
2-Ground(heater)
3-O2 signal
4-isolated ground for O2 signal

my question is, how to connect the single O2 wire from the AF meter??
tap ONLY to the single O2 wire from the O2 sensor??"

Yes.

You quote :
"how bout the isolated ground signal ?? shouldnt we include this somewhere to make sure the signal is more precise, since good grounding means good signal right? but the AF meter only give 1 wire for O2... or should i connect the ground from the AF meter to to the isolated ground signal on the O2 sensor??"

Normally, the AF meter 's power, ground and signal input are connect to the stock ecu. Since the A/F sensor is locate on the extrator or down-pipe, and the extrator is connect on the engine block, it should be "well" grounded.
May be for better "ground", connect the wire on the A/F sensor body or down-pipe and then connect direct to the stock ecu's ground.

For two wires A/F sensor, you can connect the "isolated" ground direct to the ecu's ground.

Hope you understand.

Ground..ground....ground.

Good Luck.

udengfahlawi

1,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2004
putrajaya
Visit site
ecupro said:
udengfahlawi
You quote :
" probably becoz most stock car are tuned to be a little rich at the factory?....hence above 14.7...."

Bro, 15 is LEAN Side and NOT RICH Side.
aiyah...sorry...my mistake...above 15 is lean....btw, how reliable is the A/F reading at the Apexi TT?...some said not accurate at all...

stroker_kit

Known Member
Jan 7, 2004
ecupro said:
stroker_kit ,

For two wires A/F sensor, you can connect the "isolated" ground direct to the ecu's ground.

Hope you understand.

Ground..ground....ground.

Good Luck.
thanks for the explaination.. however, my O2 sensor isolated ground are pre-connected to the ECU.. which probably will use the ECU grounding point as well thru the internal cicuirt board....
im just wondering what would happen if we connect the A/F meter ground directly to the isolated ground, instead of ECU ground/body ground...

ecupro

Known Member
Nov 30, 2005
udengfahlawi,
You quote :
"aiyah...sorry...my mistake...above 15 is lean....btw, how reliable is the A/F reading at the Apexi TT?...some said not accurate at all..."

Bro, depend on the setup and the "ground wire" effect. After all, for refer only.
Some people use extra o2 sensor just for Apexi TT.

If money not the issu, that add on "LM-1"

Good Luck.

ecupro

Known Member
Nov 30, 2005
udengfahlawi,
you quote :
"what about those Dynojet Wideband Commander (http://www.widebandcommander.com/)?...with its price tag it have to be more accurate i suppose....but how accurate is it compare to the actual dyno machine?...anyone has experience or currently using it?..."

Bro, this Dynojet not bad at all. This one only have 10 minutes data-log, and less input. Well, this all depend on the user, right.

The accuracy, well, simple rule, just compare between your "device" and the dyno machine's "device"

By the way, the dyno machine device have to re-tune or calibrate after some hours running and the Wide-band sensor have "Live time".

Bro, thanks for the infor.

Good Luck.

ecupro

Known Member
Nov 30, 2005
stroker_kit,
You quote :
"im just wondering what would happen if we connect the A/F meter ground directly to the isolated ground, instead of ECU ground/body ground..."

Bro, you can try that. No problem. you will see some change there.
Just like Hi-Fi system, all ground wire must connect to "one point" ground.Otherwise, you will have "wire ground effect" or "drop effect".

Battery ground wire - To ecu grond wire - sensor ground wire ( or device ground wire )

Battery ground wire - Device ground wire

Good Luck.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It appears to be the end of the road for the legendary Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, at least that seems to be the case, as Mitsubishi’s head of Global Product Development, Gayu Eusegi, has mentioned that the Evo X will be the last Evo derivative made by the Japanese automaker.

The Evo no longer features in the plans of the carmaker as Eusegi says that the company is shifting its strategy to put their focus on leadership in electric vehicle technology. With that in mind, the Evo’s equally...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience