Engine Knocking After Installing Turbo Kit on Altis 1.6

minormod

May 20, 2011
Kelantan
Hi all,
I recently installed a turbo kit on my Altis 1.6 G9 model.

The kit is ordered from TurboSpecialties comes with a Garrett GT20 turbine, pre-assembled manifold, piping, extra 2 fuel injectors.

The installer tuned it with a Unichip Q+ (no turbo module) to control the extra 2 injectors during boost. The setup is currently boosting at 0.5 bar.

This is how the engine bay looks like.

However, whenever I step hard on the throttle and the engine revs and turbo boosts up, engine knocking happened (rattling sound). I've already used RON97 petrol and changed to colder spark plugs, tweaked up the AFR, the tuner has retuned it many times and even tried retarded the ignition timing.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Is it because there is still not enough petrol injection or what? Do I need to install a boost solenoid/controller? Thanks for any advice!

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
or is it your stock engine compression was too high??

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
it supposed to lower your n/a engine compression a bit before boosting...

or try to lower your boost to 0.3bar first and see if that could help.....

:adore:

minormod

May 20, 2011
Kelantan
But the funny thing is the rattling/knocking only happens when it is hard-accelerating. When I'm on top gear(4th) and boosting at .5 bar it seems to be okay.

It's only when it's accelerating hard and the boost is climbing rapidly then it happens.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
did u changed to a thicker head gasket? if yes, then its either the setup has reached its mechanical limit, or the tuning isnt properly done. however, u need to rectify dat ASAP if its really pinging u r hearing. what does ur tuner say about it then?

egb18c

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
kuantan
the best method without changing the head thicker gasket is to dump more fuel.make it extra rich.
imho you need to change the head gasket.whats ur CR for stock engine?

minormod

May 20, 2011
Kelantan
Nope did not change to a thicker head. i only hear the pinging when accelerating or boosting up, when it maintains at peak .5 bar the pinging is gone. Just wondering is it because the fuel is not delivering/anticipating fast enough during pickup/acceleration? I cant seem to find the engine specs for the altis 3zz fe 1.6 compression ratio, but i think it is 10.5:1

wej7219

Jan 10, 2005
But the funny thing is the rattling/knocking only happens when it is hard-accelerating. When I'm on top gear(4th) and boosting at .5 bar it seems to be okay.

It's only when it's accelerating hard and the boost is climbing rapidly then it happens.

Since you still using the stock ecu, the problem is due to the nature of NA engine’s ignition timing mapping – which has no ignition timing retard mapping when engine goes to on boost mode. And it occurs when in hard accelerating mode because that is when volumetric efficiency of the normal engine is the highest – I believe if you dyno your car, the engine knocking occurs just before the peak torque about being reached.

wej7219

Jan 10, 2005
wej, i remember he has a piggy installed and tuned

My bad. Not familiar with that piggyback and its functions. When he said to control two extra injectors, I thought that's all it does. Amateur, I should just shut up. :stupid:

If I have to guess, since it only occurs under hard acceleration, it is either ignition timing or engine compression. Or both.

minormod

May 20, 2011
Kelantan
My bad. Not familiar with that piggyback and its functions. When he said to control two extra injectors, I thought that's all it does. Amateur, I should just shut up. :stupid:

If I have to guess, since it only occurs under hard acceleration, it is either ignition timing or engine compression. Or both.
Hey bro, don't say that, I really appreciate your input. Alright I will get another tuner to check and tune again. I was hoping if any Altis bro who turbo-charged before would be able to give some input, I really hope it's not compression issue cause I hope don't need to touch the engine.

I'm going to add a solenoid and unichip turbo module on monday and retune the car. Hope it will settle just by retuning... If not... :bawling:

is your tuner from puchong?
Hihi, nope.

kaderAE101

Known Member
Mar 6, 2010
K.L / Ampang
Hi Minormod,

Have you upgraded yr fuel pump ?

Did you install fuel pressure regulator ?

From my knowledge, normal pump & regulator cannot perform well at high end.. particularly since you have a turbo !

nan83

Known Member
Nov 14, 2004
Pasir Mas,Kel
wej a noob? naahhhh, i dont believe it..
hehe... noob?? wej already play standalone while i'm just no nothing about turbo engine.... hahaha.. quite a lot of question i'm asking him bout engine last 5-6years ago .... :)

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

from info that you tell, it look like yr tuning not good.... hear knock at acceleration ( peak torque) and no knock at hi rpm while maintaining boost....

if fuel octane cannot support... it like knock all the way to the redline... ( my tuning experience while tuning hi boost, [ it still knock while ign timing is 0' = auto ignition = fuel cannot sapot, need hi octane] )

you need to retard timing at peak torque... & gradually increase it back to the redline....

i dunno how yr unichip wired, just control fuel only?? do it wired to ignition harness??
i also cannot guess what yr real prob, you just need to find good tuner & know what going on to yr car....

lastly, if yr unichip not capable to solve this prob.... can try meth injection or water/meth injection... sure the prob gone....

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
i dunno if the tuner did tune the ignition but iam not on a level dat enables me to comment the tuning state of a well known tuner, so iam keeping in mind dat the tuning is proper for now.. iam guessing the dyno machine, and the lower gear was used when the tuning was done. and the mechanical limit has been reached with the std gasket imo, this engine has a high compression to begin with kan?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Problem on my engine 4g15

locking sound besause of
-distributor unit
-or underfiring at combustion/etc cycle

The scenario is
-when my car is underpower (cornering or wrong gear ratio) this will happen

Solution
Have cut the spring inside the distributor unit
-The sound disapper
But then after change engine(previously 4g13) to 4g15,the sound came back.

My concern is
Do i need to change the distributor unit or do the port n polish+top overhauled because i want to put powerzone camshaft...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience