Performance worsen after installing aftermarket air filter

DerrickEe

Known Member
Oct 18, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys, yesterday I changed my heavily restricted OEM air filter on my Perodua Viva to an aftermarket drop in stainless steel air filter. Cap ayam brand for RM68. Well I was thinking,since its only an extra of rm20-30 from a brand new original air filter,might as well I give it a try.

The acceleration of the car from stationary position has definitely improved. But that 'feel' somehow decreases over time as it reaches 80km/h. I had a hard time accelerating after 90km/h, a really hard time. Only managed to accelerate up to120km/h and the meter just stops there at 120km/h despite flooring my pedal. Used to be able to run up to 140km/h without any hassle with stock air filter.

Clearly,the solution here is to change the aftermarket air filter to a more reputable one. But can someone explain to me what is the problem with this specific aftermarket air filter?

Thank you in advance.

neohadri

Known Member
Jul 5, 2008
U sure its not because of u driving uphill?
maybe u should try maintain in high rpm during your next try and btw your tb will be more prone to be cover by dust after sometime since filteration almost non exist

DerrickEe

Known Member
Oct 18, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
U sure its not because of u driving uphill?
maybe u should try maintain in high rpm during your next try and btw your tb will be more prone to be cover by dust after sometime since filteration almost non exist
It was only a slight uphill when I attempted to reach top speed for the car. Alright,maybe I should do another test run and see how it goes. Felt so cheated at first when it didnt give the performance I wanted :banghead:

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

I watched every single episode from MCM already bro :biggrin: As for this episode,well it could be true that my car lost power or gained power, but anyhow I still have to change my clogged factory air filter. So it will be a bonus if I gained power,and unlucky if I lost power. Try luck :S

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I watched every single episode from MCM already bro :biggrin: As for this episode,well it could be true that my car lost power or gained power, but anyhow I still have to change my clogged factory air filter. So it will be a bonus if I gained power,and unlucky if I lost power. Try luck :S
If I'm not mistaken, the Viva ECU isn't adaptive and runs based on a fixed fuel map right? If yes introducing more air would just make it run really lean. I don't think you should use the stainless steel mesh filter as those are very free flowing. At the very least consider getting a performance non-stainless steel drop-in like those from K&N/Simota/Works/Pipercross.

But you gotta love that induction noise! :biggrin:

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
It was only a slight uphill when I attempted to reach top speed for the car. Alright,maybe I should do another test run and see how it goes. Felt so cheated at first when it didnt give the performance I wanted :banghead:

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

i would lurve 2 hear u'r result:driver:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
even if you see speedworks performance kit review, if using the injection kit + pod alone will show that it lessen the torque somewhat...

other than that, the other logical explanation is that the engine is sucking too much hot air...

red mini 8 7 8

Known Member
Aug 20, 2005
In the car
even if you see speedworks performance kit review, if using the injection kit + pod alone will show that it lessen the torque somewhat...

other than that, the other logical explanation is that the engine is sucking too much hot air...
I agree with this one. As the Viva has a small engine bay, heat is everwhere, easily sucked by the air filter. Try to place a CAI and direct it far from the extractors, radiators. Its a tough job for a small bay!

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
if cap ayam brand can do wonders, then K & N can close shop liow..............

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
if cap ayam brand can do wonders, then K & N can close shop liow..............
Not really. Those metal mesh filters does have its uses. Just a matter of whether the engine is up to par and is able to use it. Kinda like those race engines that don't have any filters, but those race engines are rebuilt after every race la.

ronaldindin

Known Member
Jan 14, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
www.12bet.com
how effective is this kind of drop in filters? And the temperature of air does matter too? Sorry I'm new in this

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
how effective is this kind of drop in filters? And the temperature of air does matter too? Sorry I'm new in this
if u done intake mod like port n polish, changed intake manifold, etc.. 'maybe' drop-in can give better result.
for std setup oem filter does the job well..

cold temperature can give more power/respond. ecu will detect temperature from intake sensor.
usually stock intake snorkel will get fresh air away from engine heat.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Ecu won't detect temperature from the intake la! It will detect how much O2 (oxygen) is available and adjust the fueling to compensate. Colder air is supposedly denser therefore richer in oxygen la. Hot air is the opposite.

But the difference is only noticable only if you're sucking in hot air all the time from the manifold or something.

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
Ecu won't detect temperature from the intake la! It will detect how much O2 (oxygen) is available and adjust the fueling to compensate. Colder air is supposedly denser therefore richer in oxygen la. Hot air is the opposite.

But the difference is only noticable only if you're sucking in hot air all the time from the manifold or something.
then why got air intake temperature sensor at either airbox, intake manifold, tb?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Pls share some experience !!! is that reliable ???:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Sifu >>>> is there any shop to do autofoam in JB? :idea::idea::idea:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience