Expensive Spark Plugs, Are They Really Worth It?

Jan 22, 2007
Kota Kinabalu
when my car vibrate when idle...i tot my spark plug is kong already...so i bought new spark plug..bosch super...cheap one...rm20 only...when i open my spark plug to change it....i'm so surprise it was HKS...my dad say the spark plug still ok..just some carbon residue on it...well...coz already bought the new bosch spark plug..change lor....yet car still vibrate and exaust sound pop pop pop....after the car ok already(thou not really ok)...now using the rm20 spark plug....accelerate ok...fc still like the hks....emm..but dunno how long will it last but still can hear the pop pop sound at the exhaust..,...just to share my experience on spark plug..maybe after 2k km wanna change to iridium or service the old HKS SP......hahahhahaa...

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
damn worth it..i used ngk iridiums for 70k km.. still looking good. my foreman used his iridiums for 8 years and still going.

karl_razlie

500 RPM
Apr 25, 2005
Puchong
when my car vibrate when idle...i tot my spark plug is kong already...so i bought new spark plug..bosch super...cheap one...rm20 only...when i open my spark plug to change it....i'm so surprise it was HKS...my dad say the spark plug still ok..just some carbon residue on it...well...coz already bought the new bosch spark plug..change lor....yet car still vibrate and exaust sound pop pop pop....after the car ok already(thou not really ok)...now using the rm20 spark plug....accelerate ok...fc still like the hks....emm..but dunno how long will it last but still can hear the pop pop sound at the exhaust..,...just to share my experience on spark plug..maybe after 2k km wanna change to iridium or service the old HKS SP......hahahhahaa...
this not bcoz of ur spark plug but try check your coil or distributor.... ur HKS plug still can use..

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
In your opinion, do they make any differences in NA cars?
YES!

I've gone through a few standard plugs already. 1 range colder plugs on the other hand stopped the plug changing pandemic and resolved a few overly lean problems I had.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
I'm pretty much confused at the moment. Having started this thread, got some replies, I was thinking that the normal OEM plugs are as good as the expensive once except that they need to be changed more frequently. But now I'm seeing replies that are contradicting. Hehe. So, can I just say that the expensive plugs are definitely worth it not only because they last longer but for other reasons as well?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Actually plugs have many differences, but in use, depends on the type and application.
When you mention expensive plugs last longer, but some do not. Eg. Silver center electrode plugs. They are claim to spark bigger and better because silver is good conductor of electricity, but silver is soft and wears fast. If you mean Iridium, then yes, because they are the hardest material used in plugs now, and now you can find Iridium tough also. Then there are platinum plugs which also can last. In performance wise, I don't think much differences, only durability.
As for heat range even my standard turbo, Car manufacturer still recommend heat range 6, which is normal. Reading some materials on modding, unless you increase the engine by another 100bhp, then go 1 step colder.
Then comes design. Single ground electrode, twin, three and even four. Then have split also.
V cut center electrode, U groove ground electrode, fine tip platinum and finer tip Iridium. All manufacturer claims their design is good, so again got long explanation, bores down to application again.
I had a fair share of using normal plugs, copper, platinum, Iridium, 4 electrode and now back to normal plugs. My turbo was also using normal plugs, but last service my mechanic fitted a set of platinum back in. To me have same performance only maybe last longer.
But I did blow 1 set Iridium when it shorted, burnt RM160 there......:banghead:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Check this out.

These plugs were installed less than 20,000km ago and this one is deformed. That isn't sludge or dirt, it's melted metal. Sigh. My car.. the plug killer. Opted for a slightly colder plug replacement this round. Let's see how it goes.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The center electrode is gone. Try Platinum, maybe can stand the higher heat, if not then Iridium.....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Halo taiko.. I'm a DIYer.

The problem is this plug only came in one heat range and I gatal to try it. The supplier didn't have other heat ranges.

The strange thing now however, the plug I'm using now is the Bosch Platinum Iridium, which apparently is a heat range "7" which is the same as the Denso IK20. It's apparently meant for 1.5/1.6/1.8 engines so should survive my engine heat.

Densos 'colder' plug is the IK22 which I had the choice of trying compared to this Bosch. Let's see how it goes. If it fries again, then I'm banning Bosch for life and trying the IK22.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
But Bosch 7 is (NGK 6, DENSO 20) only, but of course one step cooler from 8 (NGK 5, DENSO 16)
If really want cold then have to get Bosch 5 (NGK 7, DENSO 22)

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
But Bosch 7 is (NGK 6, DENSO 20) only, but of course one step cooler from 8 (NGK 5, DENSO 16)
If really want cold then have to get Bosch 5 (NGK 7, DENSO 22)
Bosch 5 is very rare bro. I've been looking for a while! And according to the Bosch chart I was gawking at in the spareparts shop, Bosch 7 is suitable for the Wira 1.5 to 1.8 so ok kwa?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Bosch 5 is very rare bro. I've been looking for a while! And according to the Bosch chart I was gawking at in the spareparts shop, Bosch 7 is suitable for the Wira 1.5 to 1.8 so ok kwa?
Same goes for NGK 7, normal 5 and 6 only. Someone told me to try the bike shop because bikes uses 7 but I did not venture to ask. However Denso Iridium 22 have....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I have problem with my gear all of sudden . The problem occur as i having difficulty push my gear 1 and gear 2 . When i need to shift from gear 1 > 2, or gear 2 > 1 its very hard to push the gear ......

I just bring it to mechanic for...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience