Expensive Spark Plugs, Are They Really Worth It?

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
What do u think? I know expensive means better. I heard it helps with mileage, ignition and so on.

But what do u think? I think its not worth it. Because all this while i've been using the normal ones for my old Accord and Kancil and never faced a problem. In fact, i didnt even know they existed. Now, after i got another car, i' joined this forum and have been reading quite a lot about spark plugs and cars generally. I'm confused. Is it really that good? Or is it some marketing hype?

Recently, i followed my colleague to change his spark plugs. They cost RM200 including installation. He said that he felt the difference immediately. The pick up was better he said. I was sitting beside him before and after but couldnt notice even a slight difference and laughed to myself. Maybe because i'm not driving plus its not my car.

I really need to know what u think? We are talking about a good RM150 more than the usual spark plugs. I would like to know the benefits of them. But i also read that OEM spark plugs perform best. So, with all these info, i can say that i'm pretty lost.

Hope some one can shed some light here. Thanks.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Let's talk about the purpose of the plug.

It fires to ignite the oxygen + the fuel and resulting in the combustion in the cylinder. So no matter what plugs you use they all have the same purpose. If you talk aboubt a setup with a larger spark, then I dare say you'll have better FC and possibly more power. But you can't get that with an expensive plug, only with a modified coil / distributor.

The only real difference between plugs is how the spark happens and how long they last. The thing about good plugs is the feel you get when you accelerate. There is a difference in how it feels, but it doesn't translate into more power unless your existing plugs are breaking down.

In my case, I used some Jasma iridium plugs. Initial feel was good, smooth acceleration and it seemed to work good. After a while (several months) the car started to feel sluggish and had pretty bad FC. I spent some good money on AR Racing Iridium plugs, the car's power came back. Been using these for almost 2 years now.

So yes expensive plugs make a difference, but imho they only help restore lost power due to failing plugs and last longer than standard plugs. But no they don't give you more horsepowers. Having said that though, not all expensive plugs are good. Some have been known to fail early too.

Last edited:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Bigger spark = Complete burning = Better power..

if u wanna buy a spark plug, make sure it produce bigger spark then ur current 1..

if it's not, no point of buying..

expensive or not, it's not an issue..

if some1 sells u 1kg of scrap metal for rm1million, it's still scrap :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

oh.. forgot to tell u..

this also depends on ur engine design..

my KE70 use an extra long spark plug due to it's design..

when i use the normal spark plug.. NO POWER.. but after change it to a longer spark plug.. MORE POWER

please ask around.. better yet, ask people who regularly tune the engine model as ur car

Gudluck :burnout:

Last edited:

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Thanks for the explanation iszo.

So, its alright to use the normal plugs. But its better to use the good plugs as they can last longer but not all though. Mind to share other brands that can last longer?

Like OCI, is there any certain mileage that these expensive plugs need change? i mean just for reference so that we'll know when to change instead of waiting for them to fail.

I am not quite clear here. Iszo, u mentioned that good plugs help restore lost power due to failing plugs. I guess this is because of the old, failing plugs. So, instead of using expensive plugs, we should be able to restore the lost power even with normal plugs as they're newer. Is it right for me to say this?

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Bigger spark = Complete burning = Better power..

if u wanna buy a spark plug, make sure it produce bigger spark then ur current 1..

if it's not, no point of buying..

expensive or not, it's not an issue..

if some1 sells u 1kg of scrap metal for rm1million, it's still scrap :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

oh.. forgot to tell u..

this also depends on ur engine design..

my KE70 use an extra long spark plug due to it's design..

when i use the normal spark plug.. NO POWER.. but after change it to a longer spark plug.. MORE POWER

please ask around.. better yet, ask people who regularly tune the engine model as ur car

Gudluck :burnout:
Thanks zul.

When u say plugs with bigger sparks, aren't they the expensive ones? I'm sorry if i'm wrong. Are there cheaper plugs with bigger plugs? Or have i completely misunderstood your statement? :banghead::banghead:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam

So, its alright to use the normal plugs. But its better to use the good plugs as they can last longer but not all though. Mind to share other brands that can last longer?

Like OCI, is there any certain mileage that these expensive plugs need change? i mean just for reference so that we'll know when to change instead of waiting for them to fail.

I am not quite clear here. Iszo, u mentioned that good plugs help restore lost power due to failing plugs. I guess this is because of the old, failing plugs. So, instead of using expensive plugs, we should be able to restore the lost power even with normal plugs as they're newer. Is it right for me to say this?

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Thanks zul.

When u say plugs with bigger sparks, aren't they the expensive ones? I'm sorry if i'm wrong. Are there cheaper plugs with bigger plugs? Or have i completely misunderstood your statement? :banghead::banghead:

put a cheaper plug & the expensive 1 side by side..

run electricity to it (usually people who sell these type of things has a machine to do this)..

& look at the spark.. the bigger spark is the better spark plug..

most of d time they're the same.. the butt feeling of extra power is a placebo effect after u spend lots of money :biggrin:

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
does this mean that there are possibilities that the cheaper plugs have bigger sparks?

any brands known to have bigger sparks?

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
does this mean that there are possibilities that the cheaper plugs have bigger sparks?

any brands known to have bigger sparks?

Toyota Genuine Parts :biggrin:

it's not as expensive as the rest, but it does what it supposed to do

my KE70's spark plug uses this brand & it cost RM50 je..

:wink:

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
i get. just as much as i guessed. Oem plugs should do the job. Thanks for ur help. U guys have helped me save RM150.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
fancy and expensive plugs isnt worth the money imo, they just last longer then std plugs. things like plugs, ignition cables, etc need to be changed regularly. iridium plugs were introduced mainly in engines dat are fussy to maintain such as the 6a12 (like in the perdana v6), the plugs in the back bank cylinders are a pita to change. iridium plugs were chosen to prolonged their change interval, dis is the only reason i wudnt want to own this engine, lol

zuruzuruz

Known Member
Nov 12, 2006
Ampang
for those who dont have coil on plug.. no need iridium or whatsoever, just upgrade spark plug cable n u can get the ignition bigger! it's available in powerzone.. see video link below.. amazing the spark.. i can imagine if this is to be installed in ur engine, plus tuning some more.. nice!

Max Power cable Plug testing.mp4 - YouTube

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Correcto! El-Cheapo plugs will restore lost power too. The only reason why I use expensive plugs is because they last at least 80,000km for me and give me a very smooth acceleration feel. Comparing with stock NGK plugs, stock seems to give me a rough acceleration feel. But doesn't mean it's bad though, speed and 0-100 wise it's the same.

Btw, I don't think there's such a thing as "bigger spark" plugs. The amount of electricity is determined by the coil / distributor, not the sparkplug. Get yourself a MSD coil upgrade + good spark plug cables, matched with stock sparkies and you'll get a performance increase.

If you haven't noticed already - everyone here is saying stick with stock. :biggrin: I only condone expensive plugs if you don't want to change ever so often. But some say fresh plugs work better than 50k km used plugs. Fair point actually.

Oh don't make the mistake of getting the wrong heat range for your car. I accidentally used the wrong plug one time and the ceramic part of the plug became so brittle it crumbled in my hand when I took it out to find out why it wasn't firing anymore.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
ur coil & distributor also will make a difference.. plus the spark plug cable..

my levin use a bigger contact point rotor (didn't know what u guyz call it)

better then the original.. :biggrin:

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
this is a lot of good info. i have surely learned a lot today. i wouldnt mind changing plugs more often cuz i wouldnt feel the pinch. thanks ppl..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

any sifu had used this before? i knew it wont have that fast and furious effect, but can it be use on stock internal engine with tuning? harmful?:confused:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience