Exhaust wrap

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Define dangerous...and why would it be dangerous? Use only thermal wrap that is meant for exhaust then you wont have any dangerous encounter.

hamtaro00

Known Member
Sep 26, 2011
Ipoh
heard from a friend that water may be trapped inside. how its possible is beyond me. anyhow he said it will result the extractor rust etc.

personally i've used some gred A on my NA.looks nicer and slightly lower bonet temperature

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Make sure you wrap it neatly and it shall be no problem..or use stainless steel pipe.

Cast iron pipes, especially shoddy ones, tends to become brittle when the temperature is too high and over a long time. Together with water..smells like disaster to me. It doesn't increase exhaust gases..it retains its temperature. Engine power equation has Temperature in it and the relation is higher the T, the better it is. Not to mention bout the pulses though..too complicated for me

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
cos i read in some forums the thermal wrap increases your exhaust gas... therefor, wearing your headers and gaskets faster
Not increase the exhaust gas. I think help extract exhaust gas, means faster movement out, but not sure if it helps since yours is turbo charged....

aln8210

Dec 1, 2006
I installed on my NA a couple months back too.
Noticed a slightly lower bonnet temp as per hamtaro00's experience.
Slight improvement is ease of acceleration (cannot confirm that it is due to the wrap or not because I have just changed my engine oil then too.
To avoid rain water from getting to the wrap my foreman reinstalled the extractor's metal heat shield that was originally there.
So far so good for me : )
Will try to install an oil catch tank on my next service to see any noticeable difference.

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Will help to maintain extractor temperature, making it more efficient, and help keeps engine bay cooler (hey, less hot air for your intake, profit!).

However, does seem to wear the extractor down, making it crack after awhile...maybe ceramic coating would help better? Any of you guys tried this?

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
is it okay if i just wrap the exhaust piping? im just doing this because my undercarriage seems to heat up until the point, that my legs could feel the heat...
Then the problem is more likely heat insulation on the vehicle instead of just the exhaust, no?

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
Then the problem is more likely heat insulation on the vehicle instead of just the exhaust, no?
agreed...

some cars that i know of actually have a heatshield at the gear lever area.

anyway... my headers has been wrapped since i bought the car 2 years ago... n the only part thats cracked is at the collector.... a part which isnt even wrapped! lol

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
with or without wrap, (from the downpipe to the muffler) the piping will be wet during rain, esp malaysia style downpour.

make sure the wrapping is evenly done, same thickness, even overlap. Uneven wrapping tend to trap/dissipate heat differently, thus would cause cracks to the exhaust system due to dissimilar heat expansion.

virqai

Known Member
Dec 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
if i wrap my exhaust starting from the downpipe to the muffler, and if rainwater touches it, will it have a negative effect?
if i have budget (cant buy a big rooll at H.W shop/for Na use still ok) i will wrap all set pipe start from header..make sure all the welding done with filler (if S.steell) and enough flex/ free play at collector and mounting...if header flange is S.steel, some ppl have a prob with bent flange that will coz crack weld...if mild steel flange i dont see this prob...but may be it bcz bolt size and i more like to do just a square flange..no need to follow the gasket shape...

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

with or without wrap, (from the downpipe to the muffler) the piping will be wet during rain, esp malaysia style downpour.

make sure the wrapping is evenly done, same thickness, even overlap. Uneven wrapping tend to trap/dissipate heat differently, thus would cause cracks to the exhaust system due to dissimilar heat expansion.
woittt..if like that my Burner S.steell coil will always "putus-putus" loor....i dont think he have Japan GT race car...:driver:

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Thermal exhaust wrap is made from thermal fiber or ceramic fiber, they will not soak up water like cotton, n will evaporate soon its been heat up. But beware of contact with engine oil or engine leaking oil will make the fiber turn into a fire ball, seen it b4 especially on scubbie.