Exhaust wrap

my logic of wrapping the downpipes also was to keep the heat in the exhaust gases so that they will move faster through the system. i notice that when the exhaust gases come out from the muffler, it's at normal temperatures already. so there must be ALOT of heat lost in between.

what do you all think?

my logic of wrapping the downpipes also was to keep the heat in the exhaust gases so that they will move faster through the system. i notice that when the exhaust gases come out from the muffler, it's at normal temperatures already. so there must be ALOT of heat lost in between.

what do you all think?

Not too sure, but I remember something like this. If the headers are hotter, the exhaust gas rushes to the pipe area which is cooler, playing with different temperature.
If you wrap all the way will it work? because all the way hot....my 2 sens

Not too sure, but I remember something like this. If the headers are hotter, the exhaust gas rushes to the pipe area which is cooler, playing with different temperature.
If you wrap all the way will it work? because all the way hot....my 2 sens

i think it's more of like the gases travel from a high density area to a lower density area.

same principle as you blowing through a straw. the temperature is all constant. but the gases move through the whole length of the straw cuz something is pushing it through and because the other side has a lower pressure.

same like how the wind blows. from high pressure to low pressure.

Same, right? How to have high and low density gases? Hot and cold?:hmmmm:

the basic exs pipe that i know, more heat make that gases be more lighter and the lighter gases can create speed flow that can help draw gas from one exs stroke to other exs stroke..(same concept speed when we use hose pipe to draw water from drum) ....for wraping is one of solution (ceramic coat is the best la) that we do to keep that exs pipe keep heat inside and also help to reduce underbonnet temp that we know more good to engine...for wraping exs piping (stainless steel)..also can reduce sound and for my opinion la..i always deal with S.stell weld..its fast to hot but also fast to cold if blow with air...so under car pipe my be will become cool when high speed...but dont know never try to touch it when drive...ha..ha..ha.

Yes... some good s/steel extractor become warm to touch just second after shut off engine(touch it my self). So in raining days n night they should be not so hot as u think. But in the end dyno proven increase of 3-5hp in most cases nothing u can feel, engine will run more efficiently, increase abit FC, nothing huge u can notice.

the basic exs pipe that i know, more heat make that gases be more lighter and the lighter gases can create speed flow that can help draw gas from one exs stroke to other exs stroke..(same concept speed when we use hose pipe to draw water from drum) ....for wraping is one of solution (ceramic coat is the best la) that we do to keep that exs pipe keep heat inside and also help to reduce underbonnet temp that we know more good to engine...for wraping exs piping (stainless steel)..also can reduce sound and for my opinion la..i always deal with S.stell weld..its fast to hot but also fast to cold if blow with air...so under car pipe my be will become cool when high speed...but dont know never try to touch it when drive...ha..ha..ha.

High speed cooling is better, but at the same time more fuel being burnt so more exhaust gas also, will still be hot.....

same principle as you blowing through a straw. the temperature is all constant. but the gases move through the whole length of the straw cuz something is pushing it through and because the other side has a lower pressure.

same like how the wind blows. from high pressure to low pressure.

Yup, that would be the difference in pressure. Earlier, you said difference in density, I think that's why he got confused.

Exhaust gases are extracted in the form of gas pulse. So the 'head' of the pulse would be high in pressure, while the 'tail' would be low in pressure. In an ideal tuned-length header where exhaust gas is extracted properly, the different pulse from different cylinders would line up perfectly, i.e there's no clash in the pulses. The result is, the 'tail' of a pulse (which is in low pressure) would pull the 'head' of the pulse following it (which would be in high pressure). This is called scavenging.

I think a wrapped header would maintain it's optimum temperature easier, hence more efficient flow in terms of volume and speed.

Ive got twin turbo connected by Y-pipe... everything is original... except the manifold, already got ceramic coating... is it okay to wrap everything?

You already have ceramic coating and yet you want to wrap?

Wah... $$$$$ galore

As for me, I've sprayed a high temp paint coat then wrap it with thermal wrap.

As for me, I've sprayed a high temp paint coat then wrap it with thermal wrap.

mind if i ask where you get those high temp paint...??? i've been looking high and low for one... tried those sold at ace hardware... but fail... those f**king thing burn off...

Bought it at ace hardware. Few type available. I bought Ace brand. Use it about a week before wrap. Look like it start to peel of after a week. Maybe need higher temp paint.

attachment.php

Attachments

• rps20121104_100717.jpg
    rps20121104_100717.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 293
mind if i ask where you get those high temp paint...??? i've been looking high and low for one... tried those sold at ace hardware... but fail... those f**king thing burn off...

Any instruction like use for what max temperature?

Eh... I saw this ACE hardware paint today, "VERY high temp paint" which can withstand higher temps than "high temp paint". Bloody expensive spray, RM48+ per can!

Yup, the paint that i bought withstand 1000 deg farenheit intermittent only. Extractor always produce heat at I dunno what temp.
And the price are rm20++.
That rm48 paint can stand up to 1800 deg ferenheit if not mistaken

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom