4afe "makan" engine oil really quickly

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Actually is there anything that can be done so that old engines dont need to use thicker EO?
Is it Overhaul the engine and change the engine parts to new?
Basically can open the header and check the piston and cylinder wall. If cylinder wall still good but piston loose can do ring change. If cylinder wall not good and piston very loose then complete change, means piston and rings and cylinder wall re bore aka Total overhaul.....:smokin:

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

Guess that's the reason why cvkit drive uncle speed. :driver:
I need to learn to do that I guess...cannot always tekan :rofl:
Drive Altis like Jetta, Kelisa like mini cooper, BLM like pocket rocket, Kancil like mira mouse deer, it will be a hard act to follow....:banghead:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Actually by complete overhaul, what does it cover?
What is being done/replaced?
Everything. Piston rings, valve seats, maybe even the valves themselves, bearings, gaskets, oil seals, if unlucky maybe new cylinder liners. I didn't quite list everything out but trust me when I say it's a lotta work.

jfjohn

Mar 11, 2013
Selangor
Thank you everyone for your input.. sorry late reply cos busy with assignments the past week..:banghead:

Fouling as in mucking up the spark plugs. Overly burnt or wet plugs = problem with the spark plug = fouling.

One of the best ways to save money is to learn to do it yourself. If you have the budget spend some money on a good ratchet set with all the size sockets. Then go ACE and buy the spark plug socket (find out what size your plugs are first. Google!) and get a long ratchet extension. Removing the spark plugs is dirt easy and a great way to get started with DIY.
Bro Izso.. tempted with diy-ing now just scared end up making the condition worse.. did the "white paper under the car" for a week but no leaks.. very clean..

spare part shop will have the overhaul kit for your car, but make sure u mention your correct engine model & code, make sure they write the correct part # & model on the receipt, if any part that unable to fit can be returned.
Bro Danz, noted on that.. will go ask around to source for good price..

1. First and foremost, change mechanic.

2. Use a different engine oil, you can try fully synthetic sold at Tesco or Giant at RM99, they do offer from time to time.

3. Inspect the engine bay and look for signs of oil leakage. If your engine bay is all black and sooty, then wash it -- don't spray water on it, use a brush (if you want to save money, get a used toothbrush) with degreaser and gently pour water on a cool engine and wash it top and underneath, this way you can actually SEE if there is any leaks on a clean engine.

4. RM4k to overhaul? Don't waste your money. Save your CASH, buy a Used Proton Savvy Manual for RM7k.
Bro Ixeo.. Got any mechanic nearby subang area to recommend?

Planning to change to a thicker oil at the next oil change..

Inspected, no leaks.. unless i really buta la.. haha..

whats the normal price range for this kind of overhauling? nah.. i love my car too much to get another.. =D

do compression test...

mostlikely just need valve seal replacement
Bro Pomen.. any shop to recommend for compression test? around subang/sunway area best la.. cos studying nearby there..

Quite normal for a 21 years old car. If engine still running proper just use thicker viscosity oil like 20w-50. Don't use FS with 5w as this oil is too thin. Buy another can of engine oil for top up. My engine also consume oil already and I just top up every now and then when required...:driver:
Bro vr2turbo.. yeap, will change to a thicker oil at next change.. hopefully can help solve the problem..

Depends on the condition of the engine. If it was abused since day 1 then you'll probably need to a complete overhaul.
Bro Izso, was a family car so very jarang abuse la.. but in my hands.. sometimes itchy will go 180 lor... but very rarely la..

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Basically can open the header and check the piston and cylinder wall. If cylinder wall still good but piston loose can do ring change. If cylinder wall not good and piston very loose then complete change, means piston and rings and cylinder wall re bore aka Total overhaul.....:smokin:

Drive Altis like Jetta, Kelisa like mini cooper, BLM like pocket rocket, Kancil like mira mouse deer, it will be a hard act to follow....:banghead:
After open to check, is there anything need to replace before covering back? Like valve cover removed have to get the gasket to change like bro izso mentioned that day when I ask about removing valve cover/rocket cover/cam cover. Whatever you guys call it.

Drive Altis like XRS, drive kelisa like Gino YRV turbo, Drive BLM like 1.8L and drive kancil like Mira :biggrin: :driver:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
After open to check, is there anything need to replace before covering back? Like valve cover removed have to get the gasket to change like bro izso mentioned that day when I ask about removing valve cover/rocket cover/cam cover. Whatever you guys call it.

Drive Altis like XRS, drive kelisa like Gino YRV turbo, Drive BLM like 1.8L and drive kancil like Mira :biggrin: :driver:
Valve cover if old and long time never open then need new one. If valve cover is new can just open and use back...:driver:

Oilfieldac

Nov 14, 2012
Singapore
Thank you everyone for your input.. sorry late reply cos busy with assignments the past week..:banghead:

Bro Izso.. tempted with diy-ing now just scared end up making the condition worse.. did the "white paper under the car" for a week but no leaks.. very clean..

Bro Danz, noted on that.. will go ask around to source for good price..

Bro Ixeo.. Got any mechanic nearby subang area to recommend?

Planning to change to a thicker oil at the next oil change..

Inspected, no leaks.. unless i really buta la.. haha..

whats the normal price range for this kind of overhauling? nah.. i love my car too much to get another.. =D

Bro Pomen.. any shop to recommend for compression test? around subang/sunway area best la.. cos studying nearby there..

Bro vr2turbo.. yeap, will change to a thicker oil at next change.. hopefully can help solve the problem..

Bro Izso, was a family car so very jarang abuse la.. but in my hands.. sometimes itchy will go 180 lor... but very rarely la..
Sounds like a serious wear and damage in components. We can do a recommendation of "OAC-modified" if it is wear only but not damage. White smoke may be due to water leak and engine oil consumption could be due to a worn pistoon ring or valve stem. The Last time I witness a similar case was a BMW with a damage worn + chip off at the stem seat..the owner uses VI for a long period of time. Almost all VI contain metal nano particles i order to thicken the oil..prolong use can lead to chokes or wear. In this case, he change 2 stems and the problem was solved.

jfjohn

Mar 11, 2013
Selangor
Sounds like a serious wear and damage in components. We can do a recommendation of "OAC-modified" if it is wear only but not damage. White smoke may be due to water leak and engine oil consumption could be due to a worn pistoon ring or valve stem. The Last time I witness a similar case was a BMW with a damage worn + chip off at the stem seat..the owner uses VI for a long period of time. Almost all VI contain metal nano particles i order to thicken the oil..prolong use can lead to chokes or wear. In this case, he change 2 stems and the problem was solved.
No white smoke Bro.. but what is OAC-modified?

jfjohn

Mar 11, 2013
Selangor
Hi all the sifu and tai kor here.. problem so far now subsided with oil change to thicker oil..

Share a photo here of my car for you all to see.. I do photography for a hobby/part-time so anyone wants to do photo shoot can la invite.

Attachments