How does Proton's Design Department Works?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

dieung

Sep 16, 2009
Sarawak
Shhhh~ nanti don't know which YB come out and said," kalau tak suka proton design punya kereta, migrate ke Korea la kalau Kia dan Hyundai lebih bagus":banghead:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Back to year 2007, I just back from oversea. My friend told me how nice is MYVI and how he like it.. I said I dun know how MYVI look like, and i just trust my friend just because the things he like sure good one. one day I saw proton SAVVY, i though that is the car he mention to me. I called my friend and screw him kaw kaw. WTF that car design???? At that moment i think that my friend really got a bad taste. At last after he show me the real MYVI... Then I know that I saw is PROTON SAVVY. If I got SAVVY in lucky draw, sure I won't show up to claim the prize.
I will take it and sell it..take the cash and spend it....Muahahahaha

I vote and fully support Ixeo to be Proton's new Head of Design Dept....:adore:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Why do you say Proton design is really good, can you share some good designs by Proton?

Correct, which is why I say I want to know who signed the dotted line the approve the design.

Thank you for the enlightenment, now I know, and readers of this thread know that the Juara is a copy of a rather unpopular vehicle by Mitsubishi.

Proton Savvy is not their own? Renault engine I know, that's what the Clio and Twingo uses. But the design is definitely not Renault. Not that Renault cars are very well designed to begin with.

They didn't make the GTi, Mitsubishi did, then they made the bodykit. LOL.

Frankly speaking, I would love to work in Proton, the first thing I will most definitely do is not renew all the contracts with the [strike]cronies[/strike] suppliers, and seek out partnerships with other car manufacturers to share a platform and engine design, much like the Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance between Hyundai, Mitsubishi and Chrysler -- I doubt anybody would say the 4B1* series of engine is bad.

Ford owns 3% of Mazda, yet Mazda still uses Ford's global platform, likewise Volvo is now owned by Geely but they still use some of Ford's platform.

One of the KEY reasons I believe why Proton doesn't want to do this is because if they do so, all the local [strike]cronies[/strike] suppliers will be cut out of the pictures since manufacturing will be shared with the allies.

Next, I will want to find out why they approve a design like Savvy and the ass of the Preve and Suprima, though the Suprima is better, Preve is unacceptable for something designed for market in 2012.

And then start planning for a Preve facelift, change the front and rear to more angular design like NSX concept and Tesla Model S. To look more futuristic. If you design a car to look like a 2012 car, it will look like a 2012 car in 2014 cause duh, it takes time to for design to actual production.

I mean, we look at ALL the cars out there, if you want to make something nice, then base/look at something nice to begin with. Just imagine when they were designing Proton Savvy, they were looking at Ferraris. They might have made something that looked like the Ferrari FF, or something close.

---------- Post added 10-25-2013 at 12:07 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was 10-24-2013 at 11:53 PM ----------

Dear Sir, you are missing the point I am trying to discuss.

The thread is not about ugly cars, its about how Proton's design process (or lackthereof) works. When you OWN Lotus, and Lotus cars from this decade looks like this

and they have concept cars that look like this

How do you end up making cars that look like the Proton Savvy, or the rear of the Proton Preve and Suprima?

Here's a suggestion, fire everybody in Proton's design department, especially the guy who approved the designs. And get the people who designed Lotus concepts to design ALL the Proton cars. And Proton will start making cars that look world class but in passenger sedan and hatchback forms.

Much like the Aston Martin Rapide, the Porsche Cayenne, Porsche Panameras etc. People laughed when Porsche wanted to make a SUV, they cannot brain how can a Porsche be something as mundane as a SUV. And how can a SUV look like a Porsche? They were proven wrong.

I would honestly smack the living lights out of the designer of the Preve if he can tell me the Preve looks nicer than the Hyundai Elantra or the Kia Cerato. If you want to improve, you want to prove to the world you are better, then start comparing yourself to the world leaders, if you can't do something that is better than a BMW F30 today, then by the time you complete your car and deliver it, it would be, worst than the BMW F30 when it launches, and the F30 would probably be facelifted or obsolete by then, and your car is worst than an obsolete car. How stupid.

if from this u can see several concept design that is really good and nice...but when in production mode end up like shiat: https://www.google.com/search?q=pro...jDIm4rge4ooCwBQ&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=899

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
i'm not a proton supporter, but yet i do indeed want to support proton as they are my national car and they did manufacture good car previously. i do know they want to improve everything. but the thing they have to improve most was their leader's mind. the leader are one who approve or not every car they design and prototype. god knows how much i miss the car like wira 1.8L, putra, satria gti, perdana or at least waja.. just wanna share my feeling towards our proton's fate.

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

anyway, this talks just never end.. we can talks for few weeks but it wont be any change unless the big people inside proton do something..

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Well, the final product is nothing like the concepts.

Proton MSX looks very nice, except the C-Pillar is ridonkulous, the rear window is too small, some touch up, less extreme angles and it would really be sweet.

The Proton Emas is also VERY nice, nicer than cars in its class like the Aston Martin Cygnet (Toyota iQ rebadged/bodykit) and the Smart ForTwo, I seriously wonder why don't they roll it out already. Cause if they roll it out now, it will be futuristic, cutting edge. But if they wait another 5-10 years, other designs would catch up.

Proton can no longer rely on Malaysia market, because other manufacturers are releasing more and more affordable cars. Like the revival of the Datsun brand for cheaper cars, which after tax it may be on par with Proton cars.

Frankly speaking, I feel Proton has VERY GOOD handling for its class, if not the best. Even the butt ugly Savvy handles extremely well against the likes of Myvi and Jazz. Even in stock form with its skinny tires. Handling is the absolute hardest thing to get right in a car, even the mighty Nissan GT-R consults Lotus Engineering for handling. Now Proton just need the looks to go with it. I feel the Proton Campro Turbo engine has a fighting chance against the 2L naturally aspirated engines for the next 5 years.

So now there's an opportunity window, release a facelifted Satria Neo with a 1.6L Campro Turbo, price it cheaper against the likes of the Fiesta ST, Clio RS, Peugeot 208 GTi, throw in godlike handling from Lotus, 4 airbags at least, ABS, EBD, TC, a sturdy 6 speed manual transmission, and market it as the pure unadulterated hot hatch. Make a stripped out version, call it R3, throw in LSD, price it more and this is your money maker - this would be your equivalent of a Megane RS Cup, ready to track out of the box. I mean, the Proton Satria Neo S2000 car was very successful, it is well known in UK & Europe. Bank on it!

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

i'm not a proton supporter, but yet i do indeed want to support proton as they are my national car and they did manufacture good car previously. i do know they want to improve everything. but the thing they have to improve most was their leader's mind. the leader are one who approve or not every car they design and prototype. god knows how much i miss the car like wira 1.8L, putra, satria gti, perdana or at least waja.. just wanna share my feeling towards our proton's fate.

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

anyway, this talks just never end.. we can talks for few weeks but it wont be any change unless the big people inside proton do something..
None of the cars you mentioned were designed by Proton. Maybe Waja, but its underpinnings was still a Lancer. LOL.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Well, the final product is nothing like the concepts.

Proton MSX looks very nice, except the C-Pillar is ridonkulous, the rear window is too small, some touch up, less extreme angles and it would really be sweet.

The Proton Emas is also VERY nice, nicer than cars in its class like the Aston Martin Cygnet (Toyota iQ rebadged/bodykit) and the Smart ForTwo, I seriously wonder why don't they roll it out already. Cause if they roll it out now, it will be futuristic, cutting edge. But if they wait another 5-10 years, other designs would catch up.

Proton can no longer rely on Malaysia market, because other manufacturers are releasing more and more affordable cars. Like the revival of the Datsun brand for cheaper cars, which after tax it may be on par with Proton cars.

Frankly speaking, I feel Proton has VERY GOOD handling for its class, if not the best. Even the butt ugly Savvy handles extremely well against the likes of Myvi and Jazz. Even in stock form with its skinny tires. Handling is the absolute hardest thing to get right in a car, even the mighty Nissan GT-R consults Lotus Engineering for handling. Now Proton just need the looks to go with it. I feel the Proton Campro Turbo engine has a fighting chance against the 2L naturally aspirated engines for the next 5 years.

So now there's an opportunity window, release a facelifted Satria Neo with a 1.6L Campro Turbo, price it cheaper against the likes of the Fiesta ST, Clio RS, Peugeot 208 GTi, throw in godlike handling from Lotus, 4 airbags at least, ABS, EBD, TC, a sturdy 6 speed manual transmission, and market it as the pure unadulterated hot hatch. Make a stripped out version, call it R3, throw in LSD, price it more and this is your money maker - this would be your equivalent of a Megane RS Cup, ready to track out of the box. I mean, the Proton Satria Neo S2000 car was very successful, it is well known in UK & Europe. Bank on it!

perfect example is proton tuah=preve ...its like having a failed plastic surgery from a perfect woman :bawling:

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
Ixeo, i didnt mention DESIGN la bro.. i mention MANUFACTURE la..

u got point about that CFE Neo. but i'm not sure the big guy of proton would invest on it.. to me, its a damn good investment while u can even cover up all ur cost lost for R&D ing this engine and even the Preve... i would definitely buy it even without LSD or 6 speed. just a god damn manual trans is already a blast. :smokin:

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

and also a good marketing maybe by calling it Neo-S as a compliment for S2000 achievement.. who support me?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Wahahaha. In the end, Proton make cars they want to sell, they don't make cars we want to buy. That's the problem. They are too used to the fact that we are FORCED to buy their rubbish.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Ixeo, i didnt mention DESIGN la bro.. i mention MANUFACTURE la..

u got point about that CFE Neo. but i'm not sure the big guy of proton would invest on it.. to me, its a damn good investment while u can even cover up all ur cost lost for R&D ing this engine and even the Preve... i would definitely buy it even without LSD or 6 speed. just a god damn manual trans is already a blast. :smokin:

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

and also a good marketing maybe by calling it Neo-S as a compliment for S2000 achievement.. who support me?

this....

me very likeyyyyy

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
If Proton ever want to bring back a hot version of Satria, it should not be other than GTi badge which was very successful during the 4G93 version. Call it S or R just doesn't sound home.

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
yup ur rite.. how "Neo GTi" sounds?????? :rock:

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

but in the end.. were just a bunch of tuner kids that kept dreaming.. :banghead:

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
hey ixeo. try send one e-mail to the big guys or maybe e-mail to though their web.. can ha?
Oh-oh, provided they ever read your email in the first place! Highly probable their mailboxes are 'out of quota'... for thousands of unread emails.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
those fat cats in proton are well aware of the shitty situation they are in now, since many years ago......but they pretend and still not doing anything. They are in denial mode. No need to send emails to the proton fat cats. Better use your time to play to play candy crush...hahahah

To sum it up, The baby (proton) was given time over and over to grow and develop. It's just that the baby refuse to grow up. Being a cry baby is easier than being a adult.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
If Proton ever want to bring back a hot version of Satria, it should not be other than GTi badge which was very successful during the 4G93 version. Call it S or R just doesn't sound home.
Personally, I will not use the GTi moniker, simply because it is inaccurate to begin with to describe a hot hatch. GTI stands for Gran Turismo Iniezione or in English, Grand Tourer Injection, which is traditionally used for (duh) Grand Tourer cars. Just cause the Germans got bad command of English doesn't mean we should follow suit.

Should keep it simple, the facelifted Neo with turbo engine should just be called Neo Turbo, and the balls out version Neo R3.

Problem is, the first R3 car was a really balls out car back in its day, something that was beginning to look like the equivalent of RenaultSport. Then the marketing took over and figured they can con people to buy more Satria Neo by calling it R3.. that diluted the brand of R3 and what it stood for.

Seriously? Satria Neo R3? With 125bhp and 150nM torque?
A silly VW Golf, I'm talking about the lowest grade of the lowest, has a 1.4L turbo engine that makes 140bhp and 250nM of torque. And we haven't take the big guns out yet. So we have a young bloke, who bought a Satria Neo R3 thinking he's all that, he probably can't out accelerate an aunty out of a toll booth who is in a VW Golf TSI.

Oh-oh, provided they ever read your email in the first place! Highly probable their mailboxes are 'out of quota'... for thousands of unread emails.
The big guns probably is out playing golf and their secretaries are the one who reads their email, faxes, and do their JOB for them.

THAT, is the MAJOR PROBLEM.

The BEST car that Consumer Reports tested, 99 out of 100 !!! Is a Model Tesla S.
Motor Trend 2013 car of the year, it is a Model Tesla S
Yahoo! Car of the Year 2013

And more importantly, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in the US states the Tesla Model S is the safest car they have ever tested, in every subcategory without any exceptions. And Tesla's first car, was based on a, Lotus. If OTHER PEOPLE can create something amazing by having Lotus as its underpinnings, just exactly what the !@#$ is Proton doing?

The Proton big shots probably at a 5 star resort having "meetings" about their big plans. Guess what? The founder and CEO of Tesla works 80 to 100 hours a week! And he DRIVES HIS OWN CAR. I think all the big shots in Proton drives a Lotus, and they only drive Proton for appearances while a BMW or Mercedes is parked in their home.

[youtube]4Fl9LRgG3_A[/youtube]

THEN, you compare Elon Musk to this ...[I don't know how to describe]

[youtube]0gwN1_yweu0[/youtube]

Mr.Rashid Musa, COO @ Proton for Projects or something.
"Dan Proton satu-satunya negara Islam, Malaysia satu negara Islam dengan Proton yang boleh mengeluarkan kereta sendiri dengan enjin sekali"

"Di Middle East, kita very popular" - Talk shit, Proton is not among the top 5 selling brands there. I guess his definition of popular is that he is very popular, with his mother.

THEN, look at this guy, Encik Hisham Othman, COO @ Proton for Commercial

[youtube]sMq5fWcHJhQ&feature=share&t=1h49m45s[/youtube]

@1:49:00
He said "Suprima S is the BEST looking car that Proton has ever produced."

Then all I can say is.. you set your bar very low. If that's your best, please, go and close shop, cause I guarantee the concept produced by Proton, the Proton Emas looks WAY better than Suprima S.

@1:52:00
LED turn signal side mirrors, feature found premium cars... wow..now Myvi is a premium car.. See where I am going? Proton is raving over something as stupid, as useless, as common as a LED side mirror indicators. WTF

@1:53:00
"It's got rear LED lights, I think you should applaud this one"
OMG WTF PLEASE GO DIE, the FIRST Perodua Myvi @ 2005 already had rear LED lights. Now is 2013.
"Now this is a feature you find on really expensive, or really new car"
WHERE DID THEY FIND THIS JOKER? I've got more car knowledge than this guy. Imported him over from Africa? He never seen a Myvi before?

@1:54:00
"Now this car is fully loaded"
"Basically the technology Proton has or knows have all been put into this car"
"When you buy this car you're buying the best you can buy from Proton, which is truly superb"

O really? Waja EOL units had projector XENON lamps, why Suprima S doesn't have Xenon lights? All premium cars have Xenon lights

CUKUP. I don't want to watch anymore. You guys can CLEARLY see what I am trying to say.

EDIT: AGAIN, my intention is not to bash Proton, but I don't know what to say. I am just doing research and quoting Proton themselves.

Last edited:

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
keep on with the topic..its DESIGN..

I agree that savvy, neo lite, preve ass, suprima ass are damn ugly..its a hit or miss.
I have the same feeling as you, how can they approve this?

designing is very easy..good design is easy..but great design is very hard...
maybe they should consider our voting before coming to a finalize decision..
but it will be costly that way..

Note that the Original Neo R3 have 140hp..not great but enough..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys, please tell me how many screw and how to take out
the rear bumper and fender for B14 coz my bumper pop out a little bit
and the fender is dented..I wanted to do it myself coz I pokai already

thanks..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience