Video: Epic battle in final laps of V8 Supercar race

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

We might lean more towards Formula Drift and the Super GT series out of Japan, but if we just took a moment and looked down under, we would realise the monumental dog fight between General Motor’s Holden and Ford in the Aussie V8 Supercar series.

While the two of them might kick it out on the ovals back in the States, we all know how exciting four left turns can be. That’s precisely the reason the V8 Supercar series will stir our loins a lot more. It’s racing on a proper track with right turns part of the equation as well.

The latest round of the V8 Supercar series was held at Surfer’s Paradise and left us with an epic battle between the young and the veteran. While the rest of the Gold Coast 600 had a number of star-studded names on hand such as Helio Castroneves and Dario Franchitti, all eyes were on the dog fight between defending champ Jamie Whincup in the Team Vodafone Holden Commodore and young starlet Shane van Gisbergen in the Stone Brothers/SP Tools Ford Falcon. The two of them refused to give an inch as they chucked their machines within a hair’s width of the barriers trying to get ahead.

It might be a long video at 12 minutes but trust us when we say it’s worth every second of the clash.

<object width="640" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FpEp3janpEU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></object>

Source: Autoblog

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
the only worthy muscle car race to watch IMHO :adore:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I watched this race on TV last weekend after F1 Korea and FIA GT1. I also watched the last 3rd half of the Bathurst a few weeks earlier. Quite an interesting championship now as the points are a bit tight at the top.
Anyway for this race I think Shane should've won and because he already was slightly ahead of Jamie before they touched and went off in the last chicane. I believe they also went off because Jamie tried to defend forcefully by turning into Shane as Shane was already on the inside. If not for that force move, Shane would had passed him clean and won. Jamie should also had given the place back after they both went off as that should be counted a gaining a position by going- off as Shane was already ahead before. I think the stewards didn't notice that. Lucky that Shane's team didn't protest. If in F1 this definitely would have lead to a protest.

drMpower

May 1, 2006
i have a question

during the second overtake manouever by van gisbergen on whincup. of which on that start stop straight entering the first corner, left handside corner.

van gisbergen definitely got the power and enter the corner first on the inside while whincup tried to salvage his lead on the outside. i saw whincup banged the ford on the right which means he was second into the corner. and then as we saw it, they both run off the course, whincup took back the lead.

now is that legal in motor racing?

i thought that one coming first into a corner, has the right to get it in. yes they were racing but shouldnt regulations say something about the second competitor into a corner must atleast restrain himself and give room for the first competitor into the corner?

i say what whincup did (bangin on the ford) was a desperate attempt to cling onto first place.

australian v8 definitely going places. they move with modernisation. they even race in yash marina a few months back, did a round over there.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Exactly! Shane was already slightly ahead and already got the inside pretty much covered. That's why I think Shane should've won and Jamie at least dropped to 2nd. Strange that Shane's team didn't protest the race outcome.
Well I guess maybe looking at the championship, this makes it even more exciting as now Jamie is even closer to James Courtney at the top.

artworkz

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2008
JB
more interesting than F1 !!!but the video i like most is civic eg and dc5 race at thailand.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The only minus point about this series is that it only contains 2 cars: the Holden Commodore & Ford Falcon. If only there are more variety of cars. The same like the DTM series, only Merc & Audi (good that BMW finally decides to come back to spice things up a bit).
Actually there is a very nice super sedan championship in Europe with lots of cars: the Superstars. This one has the C63 AMG, BMW M3, Jag XFR, Maserati Quattroporte, Porsche Panamera, etc.

williamclw

Known Member
Apr 13, 2004
DU
Visit site
The only minus point about this series is that it only contains 2 cars: the Holden Commodore & Ford Falcon. If only there are more variety of cars. The same like the DTM series, only Merc & Audi (good that BMW finally decides to come back to spice things up a bit).
Actually there is a very nice super sedan championship in Europe with lots of cars: the Superstars. This one has the C63 AMG, BMW M3, Jag XFR, Maserati Quattroporte, Porsche Panamera, etc.
well, they used to have skylines R32 GTR racing in it until they change the name to V8 hehehe

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

just to inform, just change my kelisa mounting for RM957.00 excluding labour @ Perodua. Last year change OEM for RM400.00 couldn't last for a full year, hope this "ORI" one can last till 6 years like the stock when i purchased the car out from factory.:biggrin:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience