munky

1,500 RPM

munky

1,500 RPM
Jul 18, 2004
PJ
www.playboy.com
Hi guys,

I got one question. Is it possible to upgrade the brake calipers from single pot to lets say 4 pot, but maintain using the same rotor/disc from the single pot brakes.

The reason i ask is because most aftermarket big brake kits are not made for bmw. Since BMW's wheels PCD is 120, if i take the rotors with the usual PCD 100/114.3, i need to change the rims also. So gonna cost more money. I know some brand do have rotors from BMW but not many.

So back to the question. Is it possible?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
possible.....

but definately have to do custom bracket and perhaps relocate your ABS sensor....

or maybe u can look around at chop shop for m3/m5 variant that always comes with better brakes...

DanzEterna

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
should be possible....if the std bmw rotors has the same diameter as the aftermarket ones to fit the calipers.
if its too big no prob...can grind the rotor, but if too small im not sure.

like pomen GTR mentioned, get m3/m5 ones.

munky

1,500 RPM

munky

1,500 RPM
Jul 18, 2004
PJ
www.playboy.com
abs not functioning anymore, coz changed to 1jz engine already.

yep even in mudah got sell m3/m5 brakes, but if possible id like brand new ones.

so basically its possible la. Hmm just need to find something that fits

mADmAN

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
u could still take the rotors and send them to machine shop and have them redrilled to ur hub's PCD.

instead of the PCD, u should be more worried about the rotor's tophat. ie the offset of the rotor. that cant be changed (unless its the floating hub rotor design)

munky

1,500 RPM

munky

1,500 RPM
Jul 18, 2004
PJ
www.playboy.com
how safe is it to drill the rotor? Coz some material is brittle and could cause cracks, and im afraid the distance from the center lari a bit. Id rather buy one that is made for that particular PCD.

1 more thing, is the thickness of the disc rotor normally the same for different brands? E.g. brembo rotor vs endless rotor, same diameter, for use with 4 pot calipers, thickness same?

mADmAN

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
ive been running my redrilled 4x100 (from 4x114.3) rotors for over 2 years... even had a track day with it and its been fine....not sure how long ex-owner of the car ran with it.

i also know a few friends who has the same brake setup with the same redrilled rotor with multiple track days and theyre fine

ive never heard of any mishaps from redrilling rotors....

when talking about cracks, wat u should be worried about crossdrilled rotors... cracks tend to appear at the holes... coz this areas take alot of abuse... hell of alot more than the PCD holes.

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
No worries on the PCD redrilled.. just find the suitable sets of 4 pots that matches back your current rim without hitting or spacers.. that should do.. i've done many 3 brake swaps on 3 of my rides.. Perdana with 4pot GTO, Picanto with RVR brakes and latest Swift with Lexus LS430 4pot brakes.. all with the rotor PCD redrilled. Just bear in mind like wat bro madman said.. do not cross drill the brake rotor.. it'll cause hairline cracks later.. the most i did is slot with 6 slits.. :)

munky

1,500 RPM

munky

1,500 RPM
Jul 18, 2004
PJ
www.playboy.com
ahhh ok. That sounds good. Anyway, normally how much does it costs to make a custom bracket for the brakes if it comes from other models? And what is a reasonable labour charge to change the brakes for? Just the front brakes only on a RWD car (less work right since there's no driveshaft involved?)

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
ahhh ok. That sounds good. Anyway, normally how much does it costs to make a custom bracket for the brakes if it comes from other models? And what is a reasonable labour charge to change the brakes for? Just the front brakes only on a RWD car (less work right since there's no driveshaft involved?)
Cost of the retro fitting bracket should be from rm200~350 depends on the material you choose and how rigid you want your brackets to be.. whether there is driveshaft or not does not hinder the brake's customization.. :rolleyes:

es2611

500 RPM

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006
hi bro
u could upgrade ur calipers without necessarily upgrade the rotors. perfect example is the spoon calipers on EK9 still using the 282mm rotors.
pls make sure ur brackets are made from cast iron as they are tough.
remember bro, never give a second chance when modifying ur brakes as it might be life threatening. cheers.

mADmAN

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
brackets arent cheap... u can also expect to pay around 6xx n above for a pair.

es2611

500 RPM

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006
brackets arent cheap... u can also expect to pay around 6xx n above for a pair.
seconded bro madman here. a good solid bracket usually carved from a solid block.
unless if they are from factory, usually are cast iron.

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
Cost of the retro fitting bracket should be from rm200~350 depends on the material you choose and how rigid you want your brackets to be.. whether there is driveshaft or not does not hinder the brake's customization.. :rolleyes:
Bro pls tell me where to custom make the good quality bracket? That price is cheap!!

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Any place to recommend for bracket fabrication? And what is needed for them to fabricate one? Leaving the car overnight? Or just simple measurement taking will do?

DanzEterna

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
Bro pls tell me where to custom make the good quality bracket? That price is cheap!!

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Any place to recommend for bracket fabrication? And what is needed for them to fabricate one? Leaving the car overnight? Or just simple measurement taking will do?
try asking Yee Hau86. he might know.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys,i'm in dillemma....next year my wife plan to buy a 2nd hand car...budget 80k...now i got 2 car in my mind...civic and slyphy...but civic for rm80k only can get 07 years car with 1.8cc...slyphy can get 08years with 2.0cc....can tell pro n con bout this 2 car? Tq
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience