The shopkeeper laughed at me when I asked for 8" wooofer.....

jayson21k

Sep 20, 2005
PD
The shopkeeper laughed at me when I asked for 8" woofer. He said, where got people use 8" woofer these days and recommended to use ported box for woofer of 10" or 12" dia. But I still insist on installing 8" on the rear section of my Toyota SEG due to limited space and I also need the space in the boot.
So to all Sifus here, is it okay to install 8" woofer? All they still available in the market?

cybtech

Known Member
Feb 20, 2008
I think yes,
Or try to find from HIFI systems... there still use 8" woofer...
but u need a good sub housing to make it "thump".
my 2 cents

zendengoh

Known Member
Feb 11, 2008
KL Kepong
www.zhapalang.com.my
not the bigger the best, i prefer sound quality and usage.

nicholaslkh

Known Member
Feb 14, 2006
Yes, the 8" are still available in the market. But most of them come as Active subwoofers which may not satisfy your needs. They are small and can be installed under your seat or may be at your boot. Personally, I will not go for these subs as they are subjected to many limitations and most likely you will want more as your ICE journey goes further. If I want some sub-bass and doesn't want to sacrifice boot space, I will go for a very good set of comps instead of getting cheap active SW. But that is just me.

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
yes there are still 8" subs around, in fact one of the best subs ive heard was a 9incher from scanspeak.

regarding hanging 8inch subs from the reardeck bcoz of space constrain, im afraid thats a non-solution, there will not be any sub sounds, just midbass at best.

if indeed u want to hang subs on the rear deck, u have to look for Free Air subs, or IB subs (infinite baffle). however they are difficult to find these days, so what u need to find is a sub thats meant to be in really big boxes, so when u install the sub it will assume the whole trunk is its box.

however im afraid the best compromise is to look for subs that are meant to be installed in small enclosures. modern subs can get away with it, no problem. find a 10 inch sub that can be used in a 0.75 cu ft box. i believe this is the only way to save space and get good sub sounds.

jayson21k

Sep 20, 2005
PD
I see, I still have plenty to learn here. As mentioned earlier by one of the sifu here, a good comp will help to improve the bass. Will a 6.5" help here? Or shall I install 4 6.5" comp together with 4 tweeters at the rear? and a pair of 6.5" comp at the front?

yes there are still 8" subs around, in fact one of the best subs ive heard was a 9incher from scanspeak.

regarding hanging 8inch subs from the reardeck bcoz of space constrain, im afraid thats a non-solution, there will not be any sub sounds, just midbass at best.

if indeed u want to hang subs on the rear deck, u have to look for Free Air subs, or IB subs (infinite baffle). however they are difficult to find these days, so what u need to find is a sub thats meant to be in really big boxes, so when u install the sub it will assume the whole trunk is its box.

however im afraid the best compromise is to look for subs that are meant to be installed in small enclosures. modern subs can get away with it, no problem. find a 10 inch sub that can be used in a 0.75 cu ft box. i believe this is the only way to save space and get good sub sounds.

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
if youre talkin sub bass then 6.5" can do nothing. at best is good midbass. 8" at the doors would be better of coz in terms of bass, but still no sub bass. also depends on amp power, tuning and how strong the mounting is to the door.

for beginners, basic system would be a 4ch amp, a pair of front components and one sub. even hardcore SQ lovers still keep to this configuration, but upgrade the items.

suggest u attend some SQ TT sessions and listen to a few cars, dicuss with the other guys then u learn a lot more and a lot faster. also read up on other local car audio forums like gr8tunes.net, mycarhifi.com and icehifi.com

Last edited:

nicholaslkh

Known Member
Feb 14, 2006
Talking about sub bass nothing match a dedicated subwoofer. A 9" scanspeak will cost a bomb to most of us. Sometimes, the rumbles you get from the tyres would have already outdone your sub bass. Ha Ha Ha.Anyway, the best mid bass I have ever heard which does quite well in the 60hz region were the Pioneer PRS and the 8" Dyns. But they don't come cheap either. Try to attend some TT and I am sure Zenn sifu will guide you. They have TT every Friday at Ampang from pre-midnight to morning.:biggrin:

alfee

Apr 12, 2004
Wah, looks like alot of sifus here. I'm using Blaupunkt 2x8" active class-D sub in Kancil. It got a nice bass fill because the boot area is not enclosed fully unlike your SEG, but lacking on the sub-bass area. Active small subs won't work with an enclosed boot (like a friends Satria GTI with the same sub as mine).

If boot space is a concern, and sub-bass is not something u'll die for, there are those "Flat" active subs (Voz, MB Quart, OEM) that can go under your seat. A friend driving a City has that, and it has quite a nice bass fill, for its size! But be prepared for a butt massage for whoever sitting on that seat! :)