Hi, there. Looking for some help car-hunting for 1st car

Revanus

Jul 25, 2023
ahoyfellow car enthusiasts,

I hope this post finds you all in good spirits. I am currently on the lookout for a second-hand car and would greatly appreciate some advice and recommendations from the community.

My primary preference is for a sedan or hatchback, with a specific requirement for the hatchback to have seats that fold down flat to extend the boot space. However, I'm also open to exploring SUVs, provided they offer a practical and spacious boot. Examples that have caught my eye include the Nissan X-trail 2005, Toyota Unser, Honda CRV (squared backs with the spare wheel), Toyota Rush 1st model and Ford Escape.

My focus on luxury/upmarket sedans with comfortable and quality interiors. I figure, if I'm going to be stuck in traffic, I might as well be stuck in comfort! I'm currently considering models like the Nissa Cefiro, Proton Perdana, Proton Chancellor (Limo Waja with Perdana V6), Proton Waja, Honda Accord, and Toyota Camry. I'm particularly interested in local or JDM models for their reputed reliability. While I understand that some older European models are just as reliable as well, I'd rather play it safe for my first car.

I'm also relatively new to the world of cars and have recently started exploring the possibility of learning to work on and service my own vehicle. Therefore, I'd prefer a car that is mod-friendly and allows for DIY maintenance without too many complications.

As for specifics, my driving license is currently limited to an automatic transmission, so an auto gearbox is a must until I have the chance to retake for manual. My budget is under RM10,000, with an additional RM5,000 set aside for any potential maintenance or repairs. I understand that purchasing a second-hand car comes with its uncertainties, and I want to be financially prepared for any unforeseen issues.

I don't have a particular preference for drivetrain, and I'm coming from a 1st-gen Toyota Innova, so I'm looking for a different driving experience. Mileage-wise, I'm still navigating what constitutes acceptable mileage for different cars, but I believe anything below 175,000 km should be a good starting point.

I'm eager to hear your thoughts, recommendations, and experiences. If you've had positive (or cautionary) experiences with any specific models in my price range, I'd love to hear about them. Your insights will be invaluable as I embark on this journey of finding my first second-hand car!

Thanks in advance for your help, and happy driving!

Last edited:

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
You cannot get a first gen Cayenne for 10k. And if you do, 5k for parts ain't gonna cover it. Since you mention Camry, then I suggest a late 90s Camry with 2.2L engine would do just great. It's a heavy comfy car and should have cruise control. Mileage 200k also ok. I know a guy who was giggling like a girl, throwing one into corners with the tyres screeching...

Last edited:
Reactions: Izso and Revanus

Revanus

Jul 25, 2023
You cannot get a first gen Cayenne for 10k. And if you do, 5k for parts ain't gonna cover it.
Too well aware about the Cayenne's price, my point was if I WAS gonna go SUV I'd prefer one with usable boot space, I suppose more realistic examples would have been Toyota Unser, Honda CRV older models, Toyota Rush 1st model and Ford Escape. These kind of cars that are Sqaured-back so that there is maximal boot space.

Since you mention Camry, then I suggest a late 90s Camry with 2.2L engine would do just great. It's a heavy comfy car and should have cruise control. Mileage 200k also ok. I know a guy who was giggling like a girl, throwing one into corners with the tyres screeching...
Have been looking at the 90s Camrys but it seems like that's my only choice for model year as 2000s model under 10k are really difficult to find.

i read,
-10k budget
- porsche
- 5k upkeep
- playing safe
- diy
these terms do not bode well together
Bruh the Porshce was just an example of the type of bodystyle I was aiming for, I'm very well aware my broke ass isn't going to afford IT or the maintenance.

Gone are the days, most will talk about Wira as first car, easy and cheap to maintain and also DIY......lol
One of the first few cars I was looking at was the Wira actually, its cheap all around and a good starting point, but I would like my car to be a little more comfy. Not that the Wira is a bad car, id just prefer something a bit more, refined.

Revanus

Jul 25, 2023
In regards to Sedans, i have rounded some that i think are pretty good choices and scouring on Mudah, Carousell and FBM shows some well within my budget. I would like the community's opinion on which car is the most well-rounded option.

Here they are as follows
- Nissan Cefiro (A32, but prefer A33 if possible)
- Toyota Camry (i really have no opinion on this one.)
- Honda Accord (found some really good ones under 10k, SV4 is appealing.)

So far these are the models I am more than confident to put my money on.

These are the sedans i would get if im desperate (financially or otherwise) for A car:
- Proton Perdana 1st Gen V6
- Proton Waja
- Proton Wira
- Proton Preve (if possible)
- Kia Forte (if Possible)

So far this have just been sedans, im still doing my research on SUVs/MPVs and these are ones that have piqued my interest.
- NIssan X-Trail 1st gen
- Honda CRVs (the squared backs, with the spare wheel)
- Toyota Unser (prefer the sqaured taillights, btw is it possible to install the square taillights on the older models?)
- Toyota Rush (hard to find in budget)
- Perodua Kembara (maybe, still not sure about this one)
- Ford Escape
- Kia Sportage (the knockoff Porchse Cayenne model)

Revanus

Jul 25, 2023
Toyota Camry.
:-|
Logically speaking, its the best option all around.
My Mind is telling me yes but my body is saying no.

⬇⬇⬇If I am going to go Camry i prefer this one at the very least or should i stickto the '90s ones?⬇⬇⬇
2005_toyota_camry_20_e_facelif_1661075519_19622d6e.jpg

22042500058_f.jpg

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
:-|
Logically speaking, its the best option all around.
My Mind is telling me yes but my body is saying no.

⬇⬇⬇If I am going to go Camry i prefer this one at the very least or should i stickto the '90s ones?⬇⬇⬇
View attachment 588371
View attachment 588372
Yes , I guess if you could get it around 10k. but if you cant,then how about the previous gen.
1706257814710.png

Personally i like this gen coz it looks flatter and sleeker. The one after this looks bulbous and bulky /tall. Plus these ones you should be able to get under 10k, The cefiros are good bargain too.
I think A33 are also sub 10k.It's the fate of luxury fwd sedans to not have enthusiast value, which makes them a great bargain, since they have high dollar specifications (full independent suspensions/double wishbones, powered seats etc.

Reactions: Revanus

Revanus

Jul 25, 2023
Yes , I guess if you could get it around 10k. but if you cant,then how about the previous gen.
View attachment 588373
Personally i like this gen coz it looks flatter and sleeker. The one after this looks bulbous and bulky /tall. Plus these ones you should be able to get under 10k
I agree about the the one after being the bulbous and proportionally weird, I vibe with both of them but its just the modern blends in easier yknow?

Regardless I'll keep the 90's Camry on my list, its not a bad car but its just a little boringly sensible.

The cefiros are good bargain too.
oh thank goodness, i was looking for some validation for this one, on paper it's exactly the type of car I'm looking for, its got a V6 for when ya wanna pedal to the metal and pretend youre in a sports car but its also comfortable enough such that even on daily boring commutes you don't mind being stuck in traffic cuz you're in a nice car.

i suppose i should lookup youtube reviews and facebook owner groups to get a more realistic idea of the ownership experience and what these cars perform like over longer periods of time.

I think A33 are also sub 10k.It's the fate of luxury fwd sedans to not have enthusiast value, which makes them a great bargain, since they have high dollar specifications (full independent suspensions/double wishbones, powered seats etc.
A33 is exactly the model i want to get, its modern enough that it doesn't stand out (it looks a lot like a Sentra so it also has that sleeper factor) and its got some nice features like Power Seats and whatnot. Im not surprise to see that FWD sedans typically get overlooked by the enthusiast community and i don't blame em.

It's not like in America where RWD tuner cars are a dime a dozen. I have also just come to realize that theres a RWD tax for us in Malaysia when it comes to cars. Take the Cefiro for example, The A33 and A32 are both FWD and can easily be had for under 10k but the A31 which was the first Cefiro is RWD and the only one I've seen that hasn't been swapped with an RB20 is asking for 16k.
It lowkey pisses me off because the American car YouTubers gave me the wrong expectations about Malaysia car scene. I know we don't have the same availability of course, but still seeing how absolutely rare RWD is in Malaysia I'm kind of depressed a bit.

Reactions: alcyon

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

To all ZTH Sifu and Bro,

this is my 1st time post here, ( don't know correct place or not, hehehe )

me plan on next month will go to Selangor, to find the Halfcut Warehouse,
for my Kancil and my friend satira,

any one have any recommender place for me and my friend to visit?

thanks!!!!!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience