The GTI is 30 years old

Kookaburra

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Koala Lampost
Mention GTI in Malaysia and most people will be referring to the Satria GTI. No doubt the Satria GTI has developed a cult following of its own here as well as the markets it was exported to, and it is a good car in its own right.

But cars like the Satria GTI, the Honda Civic Type R and all the hot hatches owe it all to the grand daddy of hot hatches, the Volkswagen Golf GTI. The Golf GTI celebrates it's 30th Anniversay this year having first been seen by the world in 1976, and to date there are 4 reincarnations of the Mk1 GTI. The latest GTI, the Mark 5 has recaptured the imagination of motoring public. Although bigger and some 700kg heavier than the Mark 1, the modern suspension design coupled with the 2.0 turbo engine/DSG gearbox combo has propelled the GTI to a whole new level.

To celebrate the 30th Anniversary of this motoring icon, VW enthusiasts gathered on a sunny morning on Saturday 11 November 2006 to do what the GTI do best - tackling the back roads.

Around 20 VW cars, ranging from the Mark 1 GTI to the latest Mark 5 GTI amongst the Corrado, Mk1 Cabriolet, Vento, Passat and Scirocco took to the back roads with gusto. Here are some pictures to share from this event.

The Family Portrait : Mark 1 to Mark 5 GTI

Last edited:

Kookaburra

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Koala Lampost
The twisties infested by VW's

A little piece of Wolfsburg in Malaysia

A little village swamped by VW's

Superb scenery of cars and landscape

Another lineup of the 5 generations

Last edited:

mohalw

500 RPM
May 19, 2005
Malaysia
Nice 1 nice 1, since i know how to play NFS i oredy like Golf GTi... :regular_smile:

drMpower

May 1, 2006
nice job kookaburra..some younger people like me did not get the opportunity to see how the Mk I performed. but then, comparing the first and the latest GTi, I realised the greatness of the Mk I and how it propelled the world of hot hatchbacks back in the 70s and 80s.

cheers!

Kookaburra

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Koala Lampost
Yes the Mk5 has the most aggressive looks, but the Mk1 and Mk2 with their mundane look can really lul people into a false sense of security. A mildly modded Mk1 with 150bhp lugging 800+ kg can smoke a lot of cars without them knowing what hit them ;-)

Honda Addict

Known Member
Feb 8, 2006
thanks for the pict n info kookaburra..now me the hondarians at least know about the VW GTi...

Kookaburra

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Koala Lampost
EcstacyElmo said:
nice write up
cool to know u guys had a run around
where did u guys go?
We drove from Pekan Hulu Langat to Kuala Klawang then headed back to Sg Long Country Club for lunch.

Johnson7777

Jun 28, 2005
damansara
Hi Kookaburra, do you have a seperate forum where people can post their experiences? Its obvious that you all have a club formed, If no, I think its about time it happened, Im sure there will be a increase volume in golf gti owners since the price is so reasonable now, which other brand in world could you get such a car for RM200k? I should be getting my golf gti by this or next week and am looking forward to meeting all of you.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just got my honda city. Thinking of spending on alarm,
since i am in KL. Crazy place for car owners, n yet i dun want to lose my
car. Placing my bet on GSM/GPRS options, looking for branded only, no china
branded or taiwan branded. detailed description or model no or website will
be much appreciated, locations of installation provided would be better.
Currently located at Damansara uptown area.

Wanted a full feature 2 way alarm, remote start, sms notification n
control, as well as...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience