Satria fuel consumption problem

weikhee86

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Hi all, I bought a Satria recently from my friend's cousin, who is a car enthusiast himself. Overall car is in great running condition save for a little problem I have noticed, which is the fuel consumption. The Satria 1.3 is supposed to be quite an economical car to run right? I drive to and from work everyday, working in Mid Valley staying in Petaling Jaya SS26. And I avoid the jams every morning by going out early but I have noticed that the fuel needle drops quite drastically even when I average 70 - 80km/h everyday. For your information the exhaust system is modified, piping is larger than stock, don't know the size but maybe around 2 inch or 1 3/4 inch in diameter? The exhaust muffler has also been changed to straight flow muffler. To add to that I notice the smell of petrol in the exhaust fumes. What could probably be the contributing factor to poor fuel consumption? Please advise.

baba838

Apr 29, 2010
Putrajaya
don't trust the petrol gauge needle...even my 8 mths old neo lite without modification faced the same situation. From full tank to half tank the needle will drop fast and than slowed down. What's important is to know for a full tank how many kilometers you can get.

ravingill

500 RPM
May 29, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
www.facebook.com
hey bro , i am a satria 1.3gli user myself , i belief ur car is a manual too, well first ur high fuel consumption is due to your exhaust setup , i have played with numerous mods for my exhaust and have finally settled for a 1.6 inch piping , straight flow center bullet and s-flow muffler. This setup now gives me nice sound (not too loud but has a grawl) and i get 250km for every RM50 of ron95 petrol added. That means i average 9.6 km per liter of fuel which is ok i feel , it was much worse with my earlier straight flow exhaust , i only used to get max 210km for Rm50 of fuel which is 8km per liter. I am a spirited driver by d way always giving the car some speed , and i usually drive at 120km/h -140km/h on daily basis. So my current setup has power for my driving and enough torque through out the rpm range. Straight flow setup only gives high end power which is usually after 3000 to 4000 rpm, before that car feels sluggish. I dont have that problem now as my power band has dropped , i get nice flow of power from as low as 2000rpm.

Another problem i can assume is engine condition , my car is currently at 160 000km and this are my results if yours is lower or higher it may vary depending on engine condition , also try and use semi synthetic oil for your engine , im using castrol magnatec 10w-40 and it keeps my car engine feeling light and responsive. I also added a drop in k&N air filter for better flow of air.

Last edited:

weikhee86

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Hi there, thanks for your reply bro. I visited Kweng84's exhaust shop and did my exhaust as recommended by the sifu there, so I kept the 4-2-1 extractor swapped in by the previous owner, and redid my piping to 1.6 or 1.7 inch (I forgot but I just agreed to the recommendation) and used back the stock muffler. There is a drastic change in fuel consumption and pickup response after changing my exhaust system. Must say I am very satisfied with it now, more suitable for city driving since I am aiming for best fuel economy anyway so I can ignore the top speed performance for now. As for the motor oil, I have yet to service the car will do so when I have the time. I read somewhere that is it not necessary to use fully synthetic, semi synthetic is enough? Please correct me if I'm wrong, been using semi synthetic for my older car back in my hometown without any problem. Will fully synthetic oil be good for older engines? FYI I'm still running on 4g13 carburettor engine.

Fendy89

Jun 11, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
hey bro , i am a satria 1.3gli user myself , i belief ur car is a manual too, well first ur high fuel consumption is due to your exhaust setup , i have played with numerous mods for my exhaust and have finally settled for a 1.6 inch piping , straight flow center bullet and s-flow muffler. This setup now gives me nice sound (not too loud but has a grawl) and i get 250km for every RM50 of ron95 petrol added. That means i average 9.6 km per liter of fuel which is ok i feel , it was much worse with my earlier straight flow exhaust , i only used to get max 210km for Rm50 of fuel which is 8km per liter. I am a spirited driver by d way always giving the car some speed , and i usually drive at 120km/h -140km/h on daily basis. So my current setup has power for my driving and enough torque through out the rpm range. Straight flow setup only gives high end power which is usually after 3000 to 4000 rpm, before that car feels sluggish. I dont have that problem now as my power band has dropped , i get nice flow of power from as low as 2000rpm.

Another problem i can assume is engine condition , my car is currently at 160 000km and this are my results if yours is lower or higher it may vary depending on engine condition , also try and use semi synthetic oil for your engine , im using castrol magnatec 10w-40 and it keeps my car engine feeling light and responsive. I also added a drop in k&N air filter for better flow of air.
bro,i oso have 4g13 satria,i can get rm50 for almost 450km+ if not mistake..
use ron95 oso..

S16

Known Member
Nov 17, 2010
Melaka
im a satria 1.3GLI user, using MMC wiring... Just bought it 3 months back, changed few sensors including exhaust sensor and valve seal... Getting 300-330km for RM50 ron95 petrol... Fully standard... No mod at all...

damone

500 RPM
Oct 7, 2008
RM70 of 95 I will get around 480 km. With a few wild driving on the side. If economical driving can reach past 500 km.

david wai

Jan 14, 2011
shah alam
I am using 5w/30 for my 1,3 carb, no modification on everything at 390,000
km, use 500ml morey oil in engine n gear box with one morey's power booster
pick up,consumption,excellent like new,still don't require top overhaul as advise by my mechanic

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i just got my used momo steering installed today at accesories shop. After the installation, i found out that the steering wheel is so "stiff" (like turning a lorry steering) compare to a stock 1. so i drive back to that accesories shop n tell the problem 2 the guy. then he said " is like that 1". i m still not comfortable the explaination he gave to me n that way i m here to ask sifu here what cause the steering wheel become "stiff" Tomorrow i might go for another accesories shop to get it...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience