Passion in Detailing - MY 1st try on CLEANING RIMS myself

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
As the topic says it all, Passion in Detailing. Even though I'm not that good or have enough
experience in detailing but from the 1st day I started to wash my car, is the day
where I find the best satisfaction in cleaning your own ride.

That's where I started to clean my car myself whenever I can. All the while have only tried
Car Shampoo and Tar Remover on my ride. With these 2 type of products only,
I manage to bring back the shine on my Stock Altis Rims. But that was like years ago.

Now, is another new thing I'm trying. Got myself a Wheel Cleaner and a Bristle Brush yesterday
and started off my work in the evening. Cleaning the Whole and all 4 Rims for the 1st time.

Reason for cleaning, selling off my stock rims from my 2nd hand Kelisa to a friend, so might
as well clean it nicely for the new owner. Buyer also will feel better and more satisfy if the
rims are clean when it is delivered to the new owner right? :proud:

Apologize beforehand on blur photos since using a 5MP phone camera, Didn't really manage to
get photos from the start, only remember about sharing in ZTH after washing one of the rims half way.

1) So, this is how it looks like before washing

1 - Looks Clean? Not exactly yet.

2 - Let's take a look at the inside, this is one of them that's still okay if compare with another 2..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Washing it with Car Shampoo...

3 - So, soaked it with Car Shampoo, :hmmmm: doesn't seems to take any effect. Oh well...what to expect when the inside of the rims
have not been thoroughly wash before for the passed 6 years!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Washing with Car Shampoo...

4 - After Washing...Looks as clean as the 1st photo...before after still not much difference...

5 - This is the other rim that I said is way serious than the photo No.2...after wash and soaked,
still the same...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some SCARS that hurts me by just looking at it...

6 - Scar marks left by those original rim clips. Visible ever since it was recommended to remove
and use the new weight that is stick inside the rims.

7 - Even rims have some birthmarks...but more likely developed it after birth...:confused:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, let's cut short and proceed to the results of using Wheel Cleaner and Bristle Brush to clean.

8 - Looks Cleaner than before but too bad certain scars are just gonna remain...

So I started off to spray on the Wheel Cleaner and it says to best leave it for 1 minute or just use Stiff bristle brush to scrub it away for stubborn stains...

9 - These are the 1st two that have stains that is hard to remove. But the inner part I'm able to make it real clean.
Guessing both of these rims are the front rims most of the time.

The black part, can't even come out with brushes that I use as stiff as those black brush
that use to wash the toilet floors...

10 - The most satisfy of all is the other 2 rims. This one I did twice, in this photo u can
see some black marks there. But after 2nd trial, I'm able to make it real clean but sorry
forgot about snapping photo as I was also in a rush.

11 - The 2nd one which I'm really impressed. Can see huge differences...:love:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, let's have some BEFORE & AFTER COMPARISON for a more detail comparisons.

BEFORE PERFORMANCE WHEEL CLEANER

AFTER PERFORMANCE WHEEL CLEANER

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEFORE PERFORMANCE WHEEL CLEANER

AFTER PERFORMANCE WHEEL CLEANER

[/IMG]

Product and Tools used are:
1 - KIT CAR Shampoo bought around (Less than RM20 if not wrong)
2 - Performance Wheel Cleaner from TurtleWax (RM42.90)
3 - Bristle Brush by MR.Clean Brand from TESCO (RM15.90)
4 - Sponge (for rims are okay, not recommended to use on the car body (around less than RM4)

Overall I would say not too bad...kinda impressed with the results. Maybe need to do a few times with stiffer Bristle Brushes.

Was comparing between which to buy, either the Meguairs All Wheels Rim Cleaner that cost RM54.90 if not mistaken with
10% discount or the TurtleWax brand. End up taking TurtleWax.

Also another new product call Xtreme from Germany for wheel
cleaning that cost RM78.00!!! :hmmmm2:

So, these are the results, roughly 1 1/2 Hours work, might try it with Tar Remover later on.

Sorry that there are not much photos in the process of cleaning cuz kinda rush in cleaning it before
home minister gets back home. :biggrin:

All opinions, suggestion and comments are welcome. If you guys have better way to clean
the rims to perfection or even ways to remove scratches on rims, kindly please share.

I'm still learning and finding the best way.

:adore: :adore: :adore:

Last edited:

pks

pks

Oct 3, 2012
Penang
your friend is very lucky to brought the rim from u, i think the tyre shop also dint clean it that clean when they sale second hand rim to others.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
your friend is very lucky to brought the rim from u, i think the tyre shop also dint clean it that clean when they sale second hand rim to others.
Haha! Once in a lifetime opportunity for me to really clean the rims from inside out.
So, didnt mind doing it. Just take it as learning and try and error to see what product works.

Still, something that I can't go through myself in selling the rims in that condition to my friend.

Maybe the Meguairs one can do better, not sure or the new brand from Germany call
Xtreme that cost way more expensive than Meguairs..

All feedbacks and comments are welcome. Thanks for reading. :smile: :top:

DarkAccoon

500 RPM

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
so this is the job you told me bout the other day. Nicely done. The black stains on the front rims looks like tar stains... but I could be wrong. Try using tar removal liquid and see if it goes away.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
so this is the job you told me bout the other day. Nicely done. The black stains on the front rims looks like tar stains... but I could be wrong. Try using tar removal liquid and see if it goes away.
Thanks bro!

Yup this is the job that I was telling u about that I'm gonna post it, but more professional ones got to learn from you on our next meeting. Gonna be the audience by then. :adore:

Yup, intend to try it later on when I have time, not giving up on it yet :top:

DarkAccoon

500 RPM

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
If still cannot and the rims are still with you by the time we meet up next time, bring it along. We play with it ya.

You are welcome to be the audience. Heck, I will even let you play with my toys if you want to learn.

s1tl

1,000 RPM

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
u have my respect Supra_Fanatics!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
If still cannot and the rims are still with you by the time we meet up next time, bring it along. We play with it ya.

You are welcome to be the audience. Heck, I will even let you play with my toys if you want to learn.
Will do! But will try until I really have no other ideas to clean it :top:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: bet u r satisfied after the hard hours!
Level of satisfaction and the feeling really cant describe by words, have to DIY then only we
will know what it feels like...:biggrin:

Good job for a start.......
Thanks bro! Just trying to learn.

u have my respect Supra_Fanatics!
Yo bro, s1tl thanks man, but it was because of you guys detailers that inspired me to learn
to DIY again. Still way far from you guys...:adore:

Last edited:

s1tl

1,000 RPM

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
take your time bro, takes time to develop

eohl79

Known Member

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Good job bro :top:

Don't go too strong on the brush. Take your time to understand what are those black stains - tar or could be embedded metal filings from your disc brakes.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
lol i thought you're gonna sell those rims to your friend? Ask your friend to cabut the rims for us to work hahahaha.. Can DIT car .. maybe along with some taikors here :biggrin: we can learn a lot
Friend waiting for her income 1st only get from me, so for now, i got more time to work on it.
:smile:

Rims, get so many taikors to work on it kinda waste their time wor...2 people working on
rims already consider a lot :rofl: but learning together is good la haha!

Maybe gonna try with TAR remover 1st.

Any ideas how to get rid of some minor scratches on rims guys? Suggestions? Scratch remover
by Meguiars maybe ?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
take your time bro, takes time to develop
Practice makes perfect.......:driver:

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Find a day we DIT :biggrin:
Waiting for you guys.....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Sure! :top:

:rofl: Continuing on the rims u mean? :laugh: can can :wink:
Rims also can, car also can......:wavey:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Practice makes perfect.......:driver:

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Waiting for you guys.....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Rims also can, car also can......:wavey:
if DIT i surely take the opp to do the car together LOL! but not Altis, maybe Saga will do.
Can see the swirls liao...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
haha...then lets do it ! I wana do my sister's wira too..but got another project in mind for that car. :biggrin:
Wiralution it?.....:rofl:

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

if DIT i surely take the opp to do the car together LOL! but not Altis, maybe Saga will do.
Can see the swirls liao...
Come for the exercise too.....:biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Wiralution it?.....:rofl:

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Come for the exercise too.....:biggrin:
Now is more likely to WiraLution X it...:rofl:

Come for exercise? Exercise is after the Detailing Session at midnight or during detailing session type of exercise? :rofl:

But now just need to get rid of those fine scratches on the rims...deeper one nothing i can do.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Now is more likely to WiraLution X it...:rofl:

Come for exercise? Exercise is after the Detailing Session at midnight or during detailing session type of exercise? :rofl:

But now just need to get rid of those fine scratches on the rims...deeper one nothing i can do.
Want to try out, you will need some ammunitions (products) also, if not also cannot try.....

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Want to try out, you will need some ammunitions (products) also, if not also cannot try.....
Wait we are talking about products for the rims or u know what I'm thinking? :rofl:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Tried Meguiars Tar Remover, still doesn't help or has no effect, already let it sit in for 1 min - 2 mins.

Still the same. Maybe next have to use Chrome and Metal Polish. Or gonna just have to get the Sonax Xtreme Wheel Cleaner since got some good feedback.

Suspecting that those black marks have already eat into the rims. So, might be beyond save...:frown:
Tar Remover manage to remove some Tars on the rims, didn't take any photo since just slight difference.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
The inner side of the rim isn't paint coated, is it? If no then I suggest you try metal polisher first..autosol metal polisher only RM12 if not mistaken. Rather than getting a more expensive product to experiment. If autosol alone doesn't work, then u might wana try to lightly wet sand it with 1500-2000 grit and above to see if the black stuff comes off. Good luck bro. Hope to see it restored +u+u

KrisMas

Known Member

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Meg's Wheel Brightener FTW!!! Had those kind of black stains and successfully removed 90% ~ 95% with WB. Wanna try something cheap? Been wondering whether it'll work or not. Diesel with a scotchbright.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Meg's Wheel Brightener FTW!!! Had those kind of black stains and successfully removed 90% ~ 95% with WB. Wanna try something cheap? Been wondering whether it'll work or not. Diesel with a scotchbright.
Scotch bright? is like 400 grit sand paper woh!.....:rolleyes:

KrisMas

Known Member

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
The inside of the wheelwell is most probably coarsely painted/coated anyway (my OEM waja, myvi and chery wheels are like that). Furthermore, judging from the pictures, brake dust or all sort would have most probably eaten through and caused quite a bit of damage. If those thing can be successfully removed, a few layers of fresh coating from a spray can would be able to do wonders.....hehehe.....

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
The inner side of the rim isn't paint coated, is it? If no then I suggest you try metal polisher first..autosol metal polisher only RM12 if not mistaken. Rather than getting a more expensive product to experiment. If autosol alone doesn't work, then u might wana try to lightly wet sand it with 1500-2000 grit and above to see if the black stuff comes off. Good luck bro. Hope to see it restored +u+u
From the look of it, doesn't seem like paint coated. Rough to the touch..so might try
autosol then but also might try the Chrome & Metal Polisher from Turtlewax that I
bought to clean the new rims on Kelisa.

Will try out with autosol 1st, then maybe sandpaper as well...Cuz of all the wheels,
only that one particular wheel is like that.

Never seen that product before though, it seems the Meguairs products available at Eneos
is not really full range of products, from the catalogue, there are lots more not on the shelf.
Turtlewax have wider range instead.

The inside of the wheelwell is most probably coarsely painted/coated anyway (my OEM waja, myvi and chery wheels are like that). Furthermore, judging from the pictures, brake dust or all sort would have most probably eaten through and caused quite a bit of damage. If those thing can be successfully removed, a few layers of fresh coating from a spray can would be able to do wonders.....hehehe.....
Ya, but surprised that only 1 Rims have that Black BirthMark :rofl:
Let's hope what was suggested by cvkit works. :top:

Will repost again...means i got to wash the rims again LOL! Adi wash the rims after tar remover...

Even my parents was asking, what are u doing polishing the rims when u r selling it? :rofl:
I said, is for a friend and also taking it as practice..:proud:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Then did your parents followed up with a question : your friend is a girl ar? :rofl:

The turtlewax chrome and metal polisher is in liquid or paste form? I'm just afraid that it might be of the same thing with Autosol metal polisher...

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Then did your parents followed up with a question : your friend is a girl ar? :rofl:

I think that question of a friend is girl or not. Surely u asking indirectly :rofl:
Is a girl. Quite beautiful but then is a friend of my gf la...

The turtlewax chrome and metal polisher is in liquid or paste form? I'm just afraid that it might be of the same thing with Autosol metal polisher...
Liquid Form. Got another brand I didnt buy is only RM15.90 if not wrong. Light Grey Colour Bottle in Liquid Form. Can't remember the brand. But that brand only got 1 product.

This is the one RM15.90

This is the turtlewax I bought...there are 2 types. One more is Chrome Polish with Rust Remover effect.

BUt I ask the guys, is this chrome Polish suitable for alloy rims? Since Kelisa stock rims are alloy.
Only the myvi SE rims is Chrome...

How come I didnt see this for sale? :banghead:

Last edited:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Wakakakaka!!! Ask her to join us DIT someday :rofl:

If u r looking for Meg's products, ACE hardware got a lot. Since u r near to DPC, maybe drop by home fix? They sell Meg's too but I don't think it is full range

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

If u r looking for Meg's products, ACE hardware got a lot. Since u r near to DPC, maybe drop by home fix? They sell Meg's too but I don't think it is full range
Bro. cvkit wants an introduction leh! Faster ask her to come DIT.
Can come my place and tell her DIT is to beautify her new rims......kakakakakaka:rofl:

DarkAccoon

500 RPM

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
a lady joining in the DIT..... i also wanna join.

DarkAccoon

500 RPM

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Wahahahah darkaccoon is sifu wor...mm Hou yi xi geh...mana boleh spare Tayar hahaha
no need to mm hou yi xi. I fast fast kau tim the spare tyre and help guide the chick. You guys slowly kau tim ur 3 rims lar ya. :P

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Wahahahah darkaccoon is sifu wor...mm Hou yi xi geh...mana boleh spare Tayar hahaha
He sifu that is why he take spare tyre, then he supervise the rest of us....:adore:

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

no need to mm hou yi xi. I fast fast kau tim the spare tyre and help guide the chick. You guys slowly kau tim ur 3 rims lar ya. :P
Aiseh! suppose to supervise us, but he only teach the chick.....:confused::rolleyes::rofl::rofl:

DarkAccoon

500 RPM

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
ehhh... wait wait....... mana ada sifu...... how come i dun see him wan.... i look at the mirror, i see a fat useless prick only.

Wuakaka, of course can teach all together but chick gets priority one to one hands on (male instinct)

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
DIT with her....do what together 1st...? :stoned: sounds so wrong :rofl:

What is DPC? Deep Penetra**** Center? :rofl: U guys lead me to the wrong world liao now...:laugh:

Bro. cvkit wants an introduction leh! Faster ask her to come DIT.
Can come my place and tell her DIT is to beautify her new rims......kakakakakaka:rofl:
a lady joining in the DIT..... i also wanna join.
Can can...can DIT, just as long as u guys keep your wolf's tails well behave will do...
as long as is DIT and not DHU...:rofl:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
ehhh... wait wait....... mana ada sifu...... how come i dun see him wan.... i look at the mirror, i see a fat useless prick only.

Wuakaka, of course can teach all together but chick gets priority one to one hands on (male instinct)
Like hold her hands to teach her how to hold the brush......:rofl:

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

DIT with her....do what together 1st...? :stoned: sounds so wrong :rofl:

What is DPC? Deep Penetra**** Center? :rofl: U guys lead me to the wrong world liao now...:laugh:

Can can...can DIT, just as long as u guys keep your wolf's tails well behave will do...
as long as is DIT and not DHU...:rofl:
Your mind going off alignment, DIT the rims together mah! in between that I don't know...........hahahahhahha:rofl:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Like hold her hands to teach her how to hold the brush......:rofl:

Your mind going off alignment, DIT the rims together mah! in between that I don't know...........hahahahhahha:rofl:
Just make sure teach her to hold the bristle brush and not the wrong brush...:rofl:

No la bro, misalignment is normal. But especially when comes to DIT that involves guys and girls,
we have to be more specific already :rofl:

Some may misaligned kaw kaw mia...:rofl:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
DPC = Desa Park City lar dey!!!!

Dont only DIT the rims lar...ask her to bring her car over also :rofl:
That's very nice of u to offer to detail her whole car :rofl: Sure about that?

She wont be bringing Kelisa that easy for us one wor...

cvkit17

2,000 RPM

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
That's very nice of u to offer to detail her whole car :rofl: Sure about that?

She wont be bringing Kelisa that easy for us one wor...
I'm not a detailer lar...not even close...im just a kici miao person who DIY wash and vacuum his own car...or sometimes clean/polish/wax the paint only haha

The other 2 taikors here are the pro lar...v2r and dark

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I'm not a detailer lar...not even close...im just a kici miao person who DIY wash and vacuum his own car...or sometimes clean/polish/wax the paint only haha

The other 2 taikors here are the pro lar...v2r and dark
Everyone starts from kuci miao what haha! Which is also everyone was also born as a baby who do not know how to walk, talk or play. Is a fair world xD