Passion in Detailing - MY 1st try on CLEANING RIMS myself

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
As the topic says it all, Passion in Detailing. Even though I'm not that good or have enough
experience in detailing but from the 1st day I started to wash my car, is the day
where I find the best satisfaction in cleaning your own ride.

That's where I started to clean my car myself whenever I can. All the while have only tried
Car Shampoo and Tar Remover on my ride. With these 2 type of products only,
I manage to bring back the shine on my Stock Altis Rims. But that was like years ago.

Now, is another new thing I'm trying. Got myself a Wheel Cleaner and a Bristle Brush yesterday
and started off my work in the evening. Cleaning the Whole and all 4 Rims for the 1st time.

Reason for cleaning, selling off my stock rims from my 2nd hand Kelisa to a friend, so might
as well clean it nicely for the new owner. Buyer also will feel better and more satisfy if the
rims are clean when it is delivered to the new owner right? :proud:

Apologize beforehand on blur photos since using a 5MP phone camera, Didn't really manage to
get photos from the start, only remember about sharing in ZTH after washing one of the rims half way.

1) So, this is how it looks like before washing

1 - Looks Clean? Not exactly yet.

2 - Let's take a look at the inside, this is one of them that's still okay if compare with another 2..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Washing it with Car Shampoo...

3 - So, soaked it with Car Shampoo, :hmmmm: doesn't seems to take any effect. Oh well...what to expect when the inside of the rims
have not been thoroughly wash before for the passed 6 years!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Washing with Car Shampoo...

4 - After Washing...Looks as clean as the 1st photo...before after still not much difference...

5 - This is the other rim that I said is way serious than the photo No.2...after wash and soaked,
still the same...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some SCARS that hurts me by just looking at it...

6 - Scar marks left by those original rim clips. Visible ever since it was recommended to remove
and use the new weight that is stick inside the rims.

7 - Even rims have some birthmarks...but more likely developed it after birth...:confused:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, let's cut short and proceed to the results of using Wheel Cleaner and Bristle Brush to clean.

8 - Looks Cleaner than before but too bad certain scars are just gonna remain...

So I started off to spray on the Wheel Cleaner and it says to best leave it for 1 minute or just use Stiff bristle brush to scrub it away for stubborn stains...

9 - These are the 1st two that have stains that is hard to remove. But the inner part I'm able to make it real clean.
Guessing both of these rims are the front rims most of the time.

The black part, can't even come out with brushes that I use as stiff as those black brush
that use to wash the toilet floors...

10 - The most satisfy of all is the other 2 rims. This one I did twice, in this photo u can
see some black marks there. But after 2nd trial, I'm able to make it real clean but sorry
forgot about snapping photo as I was also in a rush.

11 - The 2nd one which I'm really impressed. Can see huge differences...:love:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, let's have some BEFORE & AFTER COMPARISON for a more detail comparisons.

BEFORE PERFORMANCE WHEEL CLEANER

AFTER PERFORMANCE WHEEL CLEANER

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEFORE PERFORMANCE WHEEL CLEANER

AFTER PERFORMANCE WHEEL CLEANER

[/IMG]

Product and Tools used are:
1 - KIT CAR Shampoo bought around (Less than RM20 if not wrong)
2 - Performance Wheel Cleaner from TurtleWax (RM42.90)
3 - Bristle Brush by MR.Clean Brand from TESCO (RM15.90)
4 - Sponge (for rims are okay, not recommended to use on the car body (around less than RM4)

Overall I would say not too bad...kinda impressed with the results. Maybe need to do a few times with stiffer Bristle Brushes.

Was comparing between which to buy, either the Meguairs All Wheels Rim Cleaner that cost RM54.90 if not mistaken with
10% discount or the TurtleWax brand. End up taking TurtleWax.

Also another new product call Xtreme from Germany for wheel
cleaning that cost RM78.00!!! :hmmmm2:

So, these are the results, roughly 1 1/2 Hours work, might try it with Tar Remover later on.

Sorry that there are not much photos in the process of cleaning cuz kinda rush in cleaning it before
home minister gets back home. :biggrin:

All opinions, suggestion and comments are welcome. If you guys have better way to clean
the rims to perfection or even ways to remove scratches on rims, kindly please share.

I'm still learning and finding the best way.

:adore: :adore: :adore:

Last edited:

pks

Oct 3, 2012
Penang
your friend is very lucky to brought the rim from u, i think the tyre shop also dint clean it that clean when they sale second hand rim to others.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
your friend is very lucky to brought the rim from u, i think the tyre shop also dint clean it that clean when they sale second hand rim to others.
Haha! Once in a lifetime opportunity for me to really clean the rims from inside out.
So, didnt mind doing it. Just take it as learning and try and error to see what product works.

Still, something that I can't go through myself in selling the rims in that condition to my friend.

Maybe the Meguairs one can do better, not sure or the new brand from Germany call
Xtreme that cost way more expensive than Meguairs..

All feedbacks and comments are welcome. Thanks for reading. :smile: :top:

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
so this is the job you told me bout the other day. Nicely done. The black stains on the front rims looks like tar stains... but I could be wrong. Try using tar removal liquid and see if it goes away.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
so this is the job you told me bout the other day. Nicely done. The black stains on the front rims looks like tar stains... but I could be wrong. Try using tar removal liquid and see if it goes away.
Thanks bro!

Yup this is the job that I was telling u about that I'm gonna post it, but more professional ones got to learn from you on our next meeting. Gonna be the audience by then. :adore:

Yup, intend to try it later on when I have time, not giving up on it yet :top:

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
If still cannot and the rims are still with you by the time we meet up next time, bring it along. We play with it ya.

You are welcome to be the audience. Heck, I will even let you play with my toys if you want to learn.

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
u have my respect Supra_Fanatics!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
If still cannot and the rims are still with you by the time we meet up next time, bring it along. We play with it ya.

You are welcome to be the audience. Heck, I will even let you play with my toys if you want to learn.
Will do! But will try until I really have no other ideas to clean it :top:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: bet u r satisfied after the hard hours!
Level of satisfaction and the feeling really cant describe by words, have to DIY then only we
will know what it feels like...:biggrin:

Good job for a start.......
Thanks bro! Just trying to learn.

u have my respect Supra_Fanatics!
Yo bro, s1tl thanks man, but it was because of you guys detailers that inspired me to learn
to DIY again. Still way far from you guys...:adore:

Last edited:

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
take your time bro, takes time to develop

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Good job bro :top:

Don't go too strong on the brush. Take your time to understand what are those black stains - tar or could be embedded metal filings from your disc brakes.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

A quick glance at this, and you could easily mistake this for just another 458 Italia. But the stickers scream 'RACE', and when you run your eyes across the finer details, you will notice the single bolt wheels. Typical. You see single bolt wheels, and you already know that this car has a purpose. In fact, every car with single bolt wheels have the same purpose -...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience