Nissan GT-R: Not So Friendly After All

keshy

500 RPM
Dec 12, 2007

I’m sure you’re among the millions of fans of the new GT-R that have probably already started saving for it so you can have the honour of being among the first in the country to own one. Knowing an enthusiast, I’m quite sure that you’re already dreaming of the rims, body kits, and tuning you’re going to subject the GT-R to. Well, I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news son, but that’s where your dream ends. Nissan has limited the tuning capability of the GT-R down to the inch.

You probably already know that the GT-R is speed limited and the GPS system fitted to it would remove the 180 kph speed limiter when the car arrives at a track, well here’s a different side of the story. According to Michizo Niiikura, President of MINE’S Motor Sports, the system only works on pre-approved racetracks. So if you’re planning on going down to Sepang and slaughtering some Ferraris’ well think again, unless of course, Sepang International Circuit is among the tracks Nissan has pre-approved. However, the GPS sensor does not automatically remove the limiter by itself, you have to do it the old fashioned way; open the bonnet, bring out your laptop, and remove the speed limiter. Quite shocking isn’t it? That Nissan would actually do that to you? Not to worry, Nissan loves you more than that, I was just kidding, you only have to manually change the limiter by navigating through a series of menus on the GT-R’s touch screen. But apparently Nissan loves your money more, because every time you take your GT-R down to a race track, you have to take it over to a Nissan High Performance Center where a US$1000 safety check is performed. Don’t do it and the factory warranty is void. Thinking little of it? Don’t forget that they can keep track of you via GPS. They can even know your corner entry and exit speeds; slipping and sliding might not be so amusing now, damn that GPS system.

Ever heard of the rumor circulating at the Tokyo Auto Salon about the GT-R not being able to run on aftermarket wheels? I hate to shatter your dream even more, but that is true, so out with those expensive OZ’s you were planning. Supposedly, all the GT-Rs on display at TAS had to be driven in on stock wheels, and were fitted with the tuner’s chosen wheels after it was parked. This is due to a sensor mounted on the valve stem, if the GT-R is driven on aftermarket rims, an error code appears on the dash. And just to make your life more miserable, MINE’S found that any modification to the intake system causes the ECU to go nuts, not something you would want after spending your lifetime’s saving on it.

Just as I bring you bad news and perhaps ruined your day, I now bring a word of consolation; all US bound GT-R are not fitted with the speed limiter and do not have to face track day issues, Nissan has officially said that the GPS system wont be implemented in the States and you had better hope they don’t install it on Malaysian bound cars. Even so, I have to say that the future of GT-R tuning is bleak, maybe we should just stick with the R32’s, 33’s and 34’s, they are after all, the original legends.

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
"However, the GPS sensor does not automatically remove the limiter by itself, you have to do it the old fashioned way; open the bonnet, bring out your laptop, and remove the speed limiter." .. A serious car player doesnt look at the factory warranty at all .. ;)

na_power

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2004
dont worry aussie will f* the original ecu with motec later. then all case solve. :p

na_power

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2004
"However, the GPS sensor does not automatically remove the limiter by itself, you have to do it the old fashioned way; open the bonnet, bring out your laptop, and remove the speed limiter." .. A serious car player doesnt look at the factory warranty at all .. ;)
agree with that true car enthusiasts always void their warranty with their modification.

adliz

Known Member
Jan 30, 2005
yeah, but how many true enthusiasts with that kind of money? this is not another 200k japanese car where parts are abundant, and tech support are endless in Sunwayland.. :biggrin:

joethurr

500 RPM
Sep 11, 2007
you have to take it over to a Nissan High Performance Center where a US$1000 safety check is performed. ..... OUCH...

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Yesterday I saw the estimated price for the New GT-R. It's estimated at about RM650,000...speechless....:adore:

adliz

Known Member
Jan 30, 2005
Yesterday I saw the estimated price for the New GT-R. It's estimated at about RM650,000...speechless....:adore:
for a price lower than m3 and cayman s, no doubt it will bring out the 'racer boy' in everyone... sooo tempting.. those datuks can always buy one as an excuse for their son.. supercar at a fraction of the price!!! well, always the case with japanese vs european.. buy! buy! buy! :rofl:

GTi9158

Known Member
Apr 23, 2005
Sydney & P.J.
aiyah, I say fuck the GT-R la. Just get the 2008 Mitsubishi Evolution X MR. It's half the price of a GT-R, and is fully capable of crushing a GT-R.

I know I'll hopefully be trading in my Lancer 2.0GT and getting an X, at the end of 08'... :D

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Nissan intend to bring Skyline GTR to next higher level.
Perhaps Nissan has a new production line to slot in long-time missing 2000cc Turbocharge compact sport car segment?

btw, how much is Evo X MR?

huh?!

Known Member
Oct 5, 2005
Nissan has limited the tuning capability of the GT-R down to the inch.
oh my..

the GT-R is speed limited and the GPS system fitted to it would remove the 180 kph speed limiter when the car arrives at a track.
Limited?... great...:hmmmm:

The system only works on pre-approved racetracks.
haih....

If the GT-R is driven on aftermarket rims, an error code appears on the dash.
Serious?... No more SSR,Volk,BBS,Enkei rims anymore after this...:mad:

And just to make your life more miserable, MINE’S found that any modification to the intake system causes the ECU to go nuts.
Wow...They're serious about this..:thefinger:

Maybe we should just stick with the R32’s, 33’s and 34’s, they are after all, the original legends.
I agree on this... Definately stick with the R32's, 33's and 34's after this :biggrin:

rajie

1,000 RPM
May 7, 2005
pantai hillpark
evo X MR againts the GT-R u must be joking .........the evo cant even come close to the GT-R ......
just leave the GTR to the malaysian and thailand mechanics they will know what to do to the car ....malaysia boleh

Last edited:

Lennon

1,000 RPM
Apr 11, 2005
just leave the GTR to the malaysian and thailand mechanics they will know what to do to the car ....malaysia boleh
You really thinking local tuner better than Japs??? I think MINES can produce flash to clear those limits...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

jz now home, saw that my radiator indicator point more than 1/2, it is rarely happen!
wat's wrong????? :blink:

another problem is tat my engine more noise after service, is it due to the lubricant oil??? i jz change 2 a 10W-40 caltex from 15W-50 esso!
during service, i oso changed oil filter & plug.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience