Myvi 1.5 problem while travel long distance.

aivenrolx

Known Member
Jul 30, 2008
Hmmm looks like alot opinion here...
Since my car need to be service...
Shall take this chance to change to atf dextron III

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Checked my engine using 10w40... Is that ok ?
Definitely no.

Yup, Lubeguard Universal, but the thing is his T-IV atf may not be compatible as Myvi recommended is Dextron III
In the link you shared, it was clearly stated by Toyota that it is not compatible. And considering Aisin-Warner belongs to the Toyota group, I am pretty sure Toyota knows for a fact what is suitable for their own gearboxes, and what is not.

vr2turbo, I get your argument. From my personal experience with Toyota's T-IV ATF was that it's not that lasting. It's good for 20k kms thereabout. Beyond that, my car felt sluggish. This feeling is obvious when driving long journeys. I don't believe it's synthetic-based. Any recommendation for a good-quality Dextron III ATF? Will installing an auxilliary AT cooler improve the situation?

When it comes to engine oil, it's always good to inspect the physical and chemical characteristics of the product before buying if you can. You can google for the technical data sheets of these oils. It's true that you get what you pay for. Latest API and ACEA specifications require oil producers to formulate oils that meet the latest low emission regulations and that means the 'good stuffs' that are the additives are reduced or substituted to reduce the SAPS (ash). So in simple explanation, an API SN rated oil may be the latest in technology but is actually not that durable. Performance-wise these low SAPS oils are dull. Just my opinion.
Redline's D4 ATF come to mind. Pennzoil Platinum Multi ATF Fully Synthetic works very well in my boat as well.

API on the label doesn't mean anything, be sure to search American Petroleum Institute to make sure that it is really API certified and not just a label printed on the bottle.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Pennzoils multi ATF works for you Ixeo? It was heavy like hell and gear shifts were rough for me.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
vr2turbo, I get your argument. From my personal experience with Toyota's T-IV ATF was that it's not that lasting. It's good for 20k kms thereabout. Beyond that, my car felt sluggish. This feeling is obvious when driving long journeys. I don't believe it's synthetic-based. Any recommendation for a good-quality Dextron III ATF? Will installing an auxilliary AT cooler improve the situation?

When it comes to engine oil, it's always good to inspect the physical and chemical characteristics of the product before buying if you can. You can google for the technical data sheets of these oils. It's true that you get what you pay for. Latest API and ACEA specifications require oil producers to formulate oils that meet the latest low emission regulations and that means the 'good stuffs' that are the additives are reduced or substituted to reduce the SAPS (ash). So in simple explanation, an API SN rated oil may be the latest in technology but is actually not that durable. Performance-wise these low SAPS oils are dull. Just my opinion.
I am using Pennzoil Multi Vehicle ATF too like bro. ixeo. Since you too feel sluggish could it be the atf then, as this is what TS complaining about?
Yup, latest grading like SN could be due to environment issues rather then performance...

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Pennzoils multi ATF works for you Ixeo? It was heavy like hell and gear shifts were rough for me.
Most of my friends on Honda's have change to this. The Honda atf was getting too expensive. All those who change over still using the Pennzoil. They say just as good.....:driver:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Suprisingly, Pennzoil Multi ATF Fully Synthetic -- make sure its the fully syn one..I don't know what variants are there cause their engine oil silver bottle is semi & fully also same bottle with different sticker label.

It works very well. Backside itchy during interval I used 2 bottles of Daihatsu white bottle D3.. was absolutely horrendous.. flushed with Pennzoil and again no problem.

I change ATF filter every 80k, but not ori filter that costs RM200..I buy OEM ATF filter <RM40.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Suprisingly, Pennzoil Multi ATF Fully Synthetic -- make sure its the fully syn one..I don't know what variants are there cause their engine oil silver bottle is semi & fully also same bottle with different sticker label.

It works very well. Backside itchy during interval I used 2 bottles of Daihatsu white bottle D3.. was absolutely horrendous.. flushed with Pennzoil and again no problem.

I change ATF filter every 80k, but not ori filter that costs RM200..I buy OEM ATF filter <RM40.
Multi ATF only has one variant - fullsyn. As for the oils, there's a dark silver which is the full syn and there's the lighter one which is the semi. Eh.. wait.. or was it the other way around? Anyway there's definitely a colour difference.

My experience was opposite of yours. Daihatsu D3 was good for me and Pennzoil no good. Both times were flushed out. I change every 20k and oem filter too RM35 a set.

Oh well.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Multi ATF only has one variant - fullsyn. As for the oils, there's a dark silver which is the full syn and there's the lighter one which is the semi. Eh.. wait.. or was it the other way around? Anyway there's definitely a colour difference.

My experience was opposite of yours. Daihatsu D3 was good for me and Pennzoil no good. Both times were flushed out. I change every 20k and oem filter too RM35 a set.

Oh well.
Oddness. Daihatsu D3 was causing excessive shuddering for me.

Today, my auto tranny shudders during cold start prior to warm up, key reason being that I use an external trans cooler, so it takes longer to warm up the ATF (On a stock car, ATF is routed to radiator, so the ATF warms up as the engine heats up the coolant). This only happens on cold start and the gearbox is hunting between 1 & 2...

Lubegard RED helped a lot with removing the shudder.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I removed my ATF cooler sometime back. Like you I had the shuddering at cold start too. Stopped shuddering after I removed it. Hahaha!

Lubeguard Red eh? No need for that la now.. my gb is normal. I think I might need to check the timing chain though, there's some very obvious power loss. sigh.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Oh well.
Yah! Pennzoil Multi vehicle ATF is FS, only one type, the other is blue bottle DEX III.

For EO, the light silver is FS and darker bottle is SS

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

I removed my ATF cooler sometime back. Like you I had the shuddering at cold start too. Stopped shuddering after I removed it. Hahaha!

Lubeguard Red eh? No need for that la now.. my gb is normal. I think I might need to check the timing chain though, there's some very obvious power loss. sigh.
Ah! I thought you ask me to get for you the Lubeguard Red? So now is for which car?....:biggrin:

awan88

Known Member
Feb 27, 2010
Klang Bukit Raj
dont understand why use cheap branded oils, most are recycled oil..get the ones from proper oil companies.
hahaha, even the tesco oil is not recycle oil lah dude, u can smell it, recycle oil will smell more smell like its already mix with diesel+petrol, i still keep it some to topup my ex5 already broken the oil ring gasket waiting for overhaul, the point here, recycle is easy to detect. :)

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Ah! I thought you ask me to get for you the Lubeguard Red? So now is for which car?....:biggrin:
My own myvi (wifes one to be exact) no problem mah. That's the one I always do my DIYs on (and displayed in my pictures of my DIYs) It's my moms myvi that needs the lube-red

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My own myvi (wifes one to be exact) no problem mah. That's the one I always do my DIYs on (and displayed in my pictures of my DIYs) It's my moms myvi that needs the lube-red
Ooops, yah! you have 2 Myvi's. Your wife's one already with the Platinum.....:driver:

Now can test whether how the Red compares against the platinum....:biggrin:
Later see free, will go and source for it.....