Muffler barely any sound?

DerrickEe

Known Member
Oct 18, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys, about last month, I installed a Borla straight flow muffler on my car, and yes it was very loud and bassy initially. Last week my hands were itchy and decided to install a DIY cold air intake, the DIY was okay, but I removed them about two days later because of the heavy rain recently in my area,afraid of floods,since the road I travel to college is prone to flooding. (Ps: I never really pay any attention to the sound of muffler when my CAI was installed)

Until now,I have not installed the CAI back. And I just noticed that I can barely hear any sound coming from my muffler, but only when I high rev.

So does anyone know what is the cause? Is it because of the CAI? Or is it normal for mufflers to produce less sound over time? Big thank you to anyone that can help me out :smile:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Are you sure the original sound you heard was from your exhaust? Maybe what you heard earlier was intake noise?

DerrickEe

Known Member
Oct 18, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Nope, I'm very sure the original sound I heard was from the rear section. Because when I first got my muffler installed, I was running stock without CAI. Only after I install and then remove the CAI, I cant hear anything from the rear section anymore :S Weird.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
mayb ur muffler got water inside thus making it not noisy :biggrin:

Last edited:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Never encountered such issue before. But I think it makes it better, don't you think? :)

neohadri

Known Member
Jul 5, 2008
experience any power drop ? usually muffler will be louder over time

DerrickEe

Known Member
Oct 18, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
means run-in already.
Ohh,any solution to this problem? :S

mayb ur muffler got water inside thus making it not noisy :biggrin:
Oh no :( Any possible ways to get rid of the water for now?

Never encountered such issue before. But I think it makes it better, don't you think? :)
Hmmm as for me,I installed the muffler for purely cosmetic purposes,so that isnt really a good thing for me :S

experience any power drop ? usually muffler will be louder over time
Power drop,yeap! Low end torque especially.

Maybe you've already use to your muffler sound after few weeks.:rofl:
Hahahaha no no,it really became very silent all of a sudden :rofl:

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
When u replace your muffler or CAI did u do a ecu reset..? The change u made changed the A/F ratio, richer the car run the louder the sound(always louder when cold start) the ecu need run few km to relearn the correct A/F ratio(reset your ecu will regain your power back). Mine subaru exhaust when install sounds loud but now settle down to a sporty sound which suite my sleeper car.

added.
When the exhaust system is new, the inner side is silky smooth, after some driving, the inner side will fill with carbon deposit which will dampen the sound. The longer u use the louder is starting to kaput la...

Last edited:

DerrickEe

Known Member
Oct 18, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
When u replace your muffler or CAI did u do a ecu reset..? The change u made changed the A/F ratio, richer the car run the louder the sound(always louder when cold start) the ecu need run few km to relearn the correct A/F ratio(reset your ecu will regain your power back). Mine subaru exhaust when install sounds loud but now settle down to a sporty sound which suite my sleeper car.

added.
When the exhaust system is new, the inner side is silky smooth, after some driving, the inner side will fill with carbon deposit which will dampen the sound. The longer u use the louder is starting to kaput la...
Wow thank you for your explanation, I did a test run just now (on a sunny and dry weather), surprisingly the sound was back to its original sound :confused: I think it must be the weather and humidity that caused the lack of sound? And as for power wise, it was back to normal. I wonder whats up with my muffler...

Nope, when I installed my CAI, i didnt do anything besides plug and play :) Currently my intake is running stock, perhaps reinstalling the CAI after this rainy season is over :)

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
In the muffler probably fiber glass as damping material, but straight thru' muffler should not be affected much.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Even if it is the whale of the Porsche family, the Panamera is certainly no slouch in the go-department but if you’re just like every other car nut out there, then we all know that the word’s ‘sufficient’ and ‘power’ together in a sentence is grammatically incorrect.

With that in mind, Swiss tuning firm Sportec has just introduced its new tuning...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience