Modding Turbo Car Guide

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Credits to DSM'ers

Common Mistakes and Misconceptions by Newbies

Many of the new people coming into the DSM arena come from other car enthusiast backgrounds (Honda, Toyota, and even domestic cars). The first thoughts are to apply the same techniques as they've done with other cars. The problem is, all cars are different and react differently to modifications. The first thing a newbie should do is to read up on how their car works and gain a better knowledge of the mechanics of automobiles in general.

Those who are new to turbocharged cars have an even steeper learning curve to adjust to. They have to learn how a turbo system works, as well as the intricacies of the Mitsubishi powertrain and turbo system. Here are some common mistakes and misconceptions by these people we call "newbies":

1. Big turbos - not a good first mod
Most newbies come in and immediately want to know what the biggest turbo is that will fit on their car. They think that it's the biggest single power adder they can install. That is false. You can not add a larger turbo to your system without adding several other parts first. If you do so without adding the appropriate modifications, the turbo will not give you any more power than you already have. In fact, your car will run even worse until you add all of the necessary supporting mods. On the flipside, if you add the proper supporting mods first, the car will have significantly more power without even touching the turbo.

2. Loud BOVs (the pssshhhhh sound between shifts)
The second most common question is, "how do I make my BOV louder?". Most of us DSMers will cringe when we hear this question. The fact is, a louder BOV on these cars will conflict with vehicle performance. In order to make a BOV loud, you have to vent to the atmosphere (as opposed to back into the intake, like our cars do from the factory), releasing the excess air instead of routing it back into your turbo system. The problem with this, is that your ECU has already accounted for this "excess air" and adjusts fuel curves accordingly. If it's not in the system anymore, the ECU is compensating incorrectly. This means that the car will not run the way it's supposed to. It may idle poorly, or it may not be noticable - but it will have a negative effect, even if you can't feel it (the logger will prove it). In any event, it is not the best thing to do if you are serious about making maximum performance. And if you are more interested in making your car sound "furious" and not making it "fast", expect a good deal of heckling, as this is a performance community.

3. Running 10's - not cheap, and not easy
An unachievable goal for 95% of the DSM community. I love seeing people come in here and think they're going to run 10's and 11's. Sure, it's possible, but it is only done by those who have a lot of money to spend. If you have your car parked in the driveway and have $10k in your wallet and know what you're doing, you may have a chance. The truth is, it will require just as much technical knowledge of your car as it does money. Spending the money is the easy part. It's not the parts that make your car run 10's. It's the testing, tuning adjustments, repairs, new trannies, and driving practice that will get you there. DSMs are very capable of running fast times, but like any other car, they require money and know-how to go fast.

4. Raising boost too much, too soon
It is well known that raising the boost levels is the quickest and easiest way to raise your horsepower. It's also a quick way to mess things up and hit "fuel cut" (when the ECU cuts fuel at WOT when your boost is too high). If you raise your boost levels with a boost controller, be sure you've first installed an aftermarket boost gauge. It is critical, as the stock gauge is not a true boost gauge. Also, if you have not made any changes to your fuel system (fuel pump or injectors), do not raise your boost any higher than 16psi. That is all the stock fuel system is able to handle.

4a. Maintenance - some newbies try raising boost levels and installing parts without doing the proper maintenance on their 5-15 year old DSM. Rubber hoses dry out, timing belts need religious replacement, oil, gear lube, coolant, and brake fluid have limited lifespans, and most parts end up needing replacement to work correctly. If you don't know when they were changed last, change them. If you don't take good care of your car, you deserve the problems that will arise from such neglect.

5. Intakes and Headers
Many people coming from the Honda world quickly start asking about which intakes and headers are available. This is because those mods have always been common in other import non-turbo applications. The intakes on turbocharged DSMs can be replaced, but aren't significant power-adders. Changing filters is very important though, and is recommended early on. The factory exhaust manifold is more than adequate though, with some porting work (except the 1G crack-prone manifolds, which should be replaced with a ported 2G manifold). Trust me, it's the rest of the exhaust that needs attention, not the manifold.

6. Tuning makes the most power - not modding
Tuning is something that, many of those entering the DSM community, may not be familiar with. Yet, it's the single most important aspect of building up a DSM to meet its potential. Most other cars have many chips or ECU replacements available for them. DSM owners aren't so lucky, as there aren't as many user-friendly options available to us. This means, you'll probably need to learn more than you anticipated about how your car's ECU works. Otherwise, you may destroy your motor. Tuning requires adjusting the fuel curves used by the ECU in order to maximize power output. Of course, you could just take your car to a DSM specialty shop and have them make the adjustments for you, but then again, being your own backyard mechanic is what owning a DSM is all about.

7. Lowering Springs
Rarely do these really help aid handling, mostly because the rates are too low for the amount of lowering. Also, lower cars need shorter shocks (but people don't shell out for Konis, which are the shortest OTS shocks), while high-rate springs need more rebound damping and not more compression damping (which is why Tokikos and AGXs don't work well). Finally, lower does not automatically mean better handling, because you might now be hitting the bumpstops and you also might now have lateral control arms that angle upwards.

8. Camber vs Toe
99% of tire-wear problems come from the toe-out that you get when you lower the car. The problem is not the extra negative camber. Yes, lots of negative camber hurts traction on a straight-ahead launch, but it helps in cornering. After lowering a car, you might need to remove some rear camber (or the understeer will be awful), but you don't need to take out any front camber unless it's a dedicated drag-racer or slammed to the ground (but see above).

DJ-LanEvo3

500 RPM
May 2, 2005
Hail the King of Mod Mr.Jinkl... cool man..

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
mau kena tendang ker
i put redi wei
credits to DSM'er hehe so u all should tabik them mar

CraZieThug5057

500 RPM
Dec 11, 2005
hi there JINKL

sup dawg!...
well jz wanna ask u cople of question

i had lowerd my car wira SE wand wanted to make it more lowerd!....so wat ur suggestion shud i cut the sping or change the whole absorber to a lowerd one!?...
hihih maybe u can gimme some tips or idea or precaution coiz
recently i bout a lowerd spring but when i fitted to my car it seem like it does not lowerd at at it seem doesnt suit my "LOWERD" tatse coz its loook like a standard absorber to mee still look the same but now i wanted to loered it like that way i want it?

p/s: im using the factory standard rims and standard absorber ...but i olny change the spring....i dun wanna chnage the whole absorber coz my car is sooo new jz 3 monthn only hihihih

AcuraV

Known Member
May 12, 2005
Jb
very usefull information...

i use to know lot and how to deal with my turbo anyway..

thanks alot jin.. :rock:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Does fuel comsumption increased when bullet and exhaust system modified? But the extrrator remains stock..

thank u ar sifu sifu sekalian....
:) :) :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience