Mivec or 4age BT

bro858

Known Member
Jul 26, 2007
Hi there. All sifus, on behalf of my friend, he got a Proton Gen-2 and planning to swap the engine either to mivec CK or 4age Black Top 6 speed. He already checked with the PUSPAKOM and the swap for both engine is allowed for his Proton Gen-2. The questions are

1) Which engine better in performance and durability?
2) Which engine has more potential for further modification to gain more HP?
3) Which engine got more aftermarket performance parts?
4) Which engine is more economical in maintenance, parts and modification cost?

For information, my friend already tested the 4age BT 6S and he likes the feeling of 6 speed gear ratio but he don't have any idea about mivec since he never got a chance to drive one.

Yesterday he went to KEGANI Autotech and take a look at a Satria Neo with a 4age inside and he was so excited. But since some people said go for mivec so he got confused.

So, please all the sifus here help him to decide since he(and me) cannot wait to start his project.
Tq

Last edited:

bro858

Known Member
Jul 26, 2007
Hello sifus, are you there? Help needed right here...plzzzz:adore:

Enslaved

Known Member
Jun 17, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
I would say the Mitsi Mivec CK4A engine is a direct fit and less headache to probably modify the mountings/chassis. In terms of parts, Mivec is limited since it's not all that popular although some Aussie tuners have certain custom parts for it. Of course you have the cams (jun/matspeed) and extractors (custom made), ecus (e-manage/haltech/microtech/motec/megasquirt/etc). Am not too sure bout the Toyota engine but i guess you could source for the cams and quad throttles as well. The 6 speed will make it very nice to drive as it compensates for the lack of torque in such high revving engines in the low-to-mid range. Not too sure if the gearbox will align properly in the Gen-2..gotta ask the experts who did the Neo/AE111 swap.

Havok_KiD

500 RPM
Feb 21, 2006
well i dono about others this is what i feel...Mitsubishi mivec is always the better choice when i comes to N/A engine based on reliability n power besides honda

touge80

Known Member
Jun 22, 2009
Of course the mivec is a direct fit but if PUSPAKOM already approved the transplant, it means that there's no issues about direct fit or not direct fit as long as the engine is well mounted in car. I've seen so many KEGANI's work before and it is very impressive. They even almost win the last Sepang 1000km Race this month if not because of belt tensioner problem. Back to this case I'm sure that Kennny is not going to make stupid transplant which is not safe or what so ever which can give bad effect to KEGANI's well known good reputation.
For me mivec is good but the problem is its performance parts is lesser than the 4age 20v. More over the price for mivec's performance parts and spare parts are quite high to compare with the 4age. For the 4age not only their performance parts is cheaper and easier to find but also their spare parts(esp. used) are also cheaper due to less demand.
In terms of performance, both engines are almost at the same level and both also got potential for further modification as long as you bring it to the right mechanic. I've seen both type of engine which got more than 200bhp. But for me I'll go for the 4age 20v 6spd as I like 6spd gearing and also the sound of the trumpeted ITB plus the roar of the TODA camshaft. With a perfect modification(and money) you can rev all the way to 10000rpm or even 11000rpm. Fuhhh soooo erotic. Not forgetting the 4age 20v is more lighter than the mivec. Most importantly is 4age 20v is always durable and economical.
Just my 2 cent. Cheers:biggrin:

bro858

Known Member
Jul 26, 2007
Thank u sifus:biggrin:. Any other sifus want 2 add something? Anybody who are using mivec or 4age 20v BT 6 spd also can give their opinion based on their machine. Maybe we can share something here.:driver:

Enslaved

Known Member
Jun 17, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Of course the mivec is a direct fit but if PUSPAKOM already approved the transplant, it means that there's no issues about direct fit or not direct fit as long as the engine is well mounted in car. I've seen so many KEGANI's work before and it is very impressive. They even almost win the last Sepang 1000km Race this month if not because of belt tensioner problem. Back to this case I'm sure that Kennny is not going to make stupid transplant which is not safe or what so ever which can give bad effect to KEGANI's well known good reputation.
For me mivec is good but the problem is its performance parts is lesser than the 4age 20v. More over the price for mivec's performance parts and spare parts are quite high to compare with the 4age. For the 4age not only their performance parts is cheaper and easier to find but also their spare parts(esp. used) are also cheaper due to less demand.
In terms of performance, both engines are almost at the same level and both also got potential for further modification as long as you bring it to the right mechanic. I've seen both type of engine which got more than 200bhp. But for me I'll go for the 4age 20v 6spd as I like 6spd gearing and also the sound of the trumpeted ITB plus the roar of the TODA camshaft. With a perfect modification(and money) you can rev all the way to 10000rpm or even 11000rpm. Fuhhh soooo erotic. Not forgetting the 4age 20v is more lighter than the mivec. Most importantly is 4age 20v is always durable and economical.
Just my 2 cent. Cheers:biggrin:
hey there, which shops around here sell the cams for the ae111? of course quad throttles sound nice and if tuned well, should be killer! plus the 6 speed..but how reliable is the gearbox? afraid no parts if it fails..btw, what's the address of kegani? do you reckon the ae111 can fit in the old model satria?

touge80

Known Member
Jun 22, 2009
Hi Enslaved, you can find cams and many other performance parts for 4age 20v BT 6spd (and for all gens of 4age I supposed) at KEGANI Auto Tech, 03-80757411 or 012-3600273(Kenny). About the gearbox, as I know based on few of my friends who are using 4age 20v 6 spd, there's not a single case of any problem(except for clutch replacing):biggrin:. Even KEGANI's mechs told that they haven't done any gearbox overhaul since there are no cases of gearbox faulty from their customers(this is what he told me last time). Their race cars also use 6spd gearbox. I dunno about the old satria model but I've seen that Satria Neo mentioned by bro858 at KEGANI's workshop. Maybe u can ask directly to Kenny. Cheers:beer:

Last edited:

cruiser78

Known Member
Jul 5, 2008
Long time havent visit kenny, many cars at his workshop? intending to get an overhaul there

touge80

Known Member
Jun 22, 2009
Of course, there are always a lot of cars at KEGANI:biggrin:
Hey bro858, how's your friend? Has he made his mind? I vote for 4age 20v 6spd,

result
4age 20v 6spd - 1
mivec - 0

Others?:biggrin:

Last edited:

artworkz

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2008
JB
we set a max budget rm 15000 for 1/2cut, conv, inspection n mod. c 20v fast or mivec fast.

Bump: we set a max budget rm 15000 for 1/2cut, conv, inspection n mod. c 20v fast or mivec fast.

bro858

Known Member
Jul 26, 2007
Hi there, thanks sifus for ur responds. Actually my fren told during his last visit to KEGANI they quote rm7000 for complete covertion. For stage 1 modification (high power branded spark plug cable+Jap branded header+few other things) rm1500. For stage 2 modification(cam, PnP, block and etc.) is up on ur budget or u can do step by step.For Stage 3 and Stage 4 ask KEGANI cause my fren only ask for stage 2. If i'm not mistaken for stage 4 is turbo. Since my fren not interested in turbo so i think he will only consider until stage 3. I'm not sure what is my fren's budget but I think rm15000 benchmark that u've made is around the corner.

Last edited: