Is Tuning the engine important

brandoninlove

Feb 24, 2007
I have already gotten the Vr4 engine and i was wandering one more thing
is tuning really need?

Is tuning really nessery does is affect the hp or the handling of the car?
and how do i tuning the engine?

Omg did not tought of this need some really professional help

Thanks guys for helping out... wish i could repay you Brothers

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
which tuning u meant??...

fine tuning is usually done to improve driveability... for example, if u looking for top end gain, adjust ur peak power.... if u want low end torque, shift ur torque band down.... adjust ur ignition, fuel mapping and other stuff for better engine response....

its quite a complicated task.... thats why u see good tuners are hard to come by...

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
vr4 can do quite alot of tuning, if u change to aftermarket parts such as campulleys, standalone ecu, bla bla bla.... (i not expert in vr4)

if stock standard vr4, nothing much to tune la...

Cohiba

Known Member
Oct 12, 2006
most factory ECU's are tuned to 80-90% of the engines maximum output.

Because all vehicle manufacturers want an all-round-car....meaning power,reliability,etc.

So tuning on a stock engine will increase HP,etc.....how much HP/torque increases depends on the tuner and your balls...hehe :_:

brandoninlove

Feb 24, 2007
well im not making a stock car im making a moster haha... well so far i have gotten the engine in to the putra with evo mounthings
And tomorrow will put the intercooler and bla bla bla ^^

And finnaly ill have to fine tuin it but... like SkYwAlKeR said fine tuners are hard to come by so it will be hard to tuin

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
I'm assuming your question on tuning is regarding fuel and ignition mappings. Now, tuning is not highly needed when you change to a full 3" exhaust system and intake piping plus drop in free flow filter. Tuning is needed if you basically change:

1- Change camshaft and cam timing.
2- Change injectors.
3- Change turbos.
4- Change pistons.
5- Increase boost above 1.4bar
6- Change ECU's and list goes on.....

Why is say this is because anything below 1.3 bar is still compensated by the stock ECU (by MAF sensor) to compensate for the increase in flow/pressure. Going 3" full exhaust only removes restriction allowing the turbo to spool faster(again compensated by the Stock ECU). Basically it dwells down to anything that is allowing the engine to breathe better (releases stock potential power) with current stock settings is ok.

hope that clarifies.:regular_smile:

simonchangwaimun

1,500 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
Cheras
teamshadowrider.multiply.com
actually a change of aftermarket ECU will give u a lot of advnatage...
first,stockly,after market ECU can definitely increase ur power and toqrue [coz more functions and stuff + tuning]
then,like D-IV said,u need tuning for cams,injecter [larger ones], bigger snails [since u wanna make it a monster],and boost above 1bar...
there are also ECU that alter air-con timing [like the one in altis,i think] that shuts the air con off when overtaking for more power,etc...
yea...
my mech suggested me a ECU change as a basic start up,from where on,sky is the limit

brandoninlove

Feb 24, 2007
okye thanks guys

Was wander one more thing... Where can i find a good place to do my engine tuning... im stuck i was looking around Kepong nuthing there...

Was wandering does sunway have a good tuiner

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

my l2 brake something wrong, sometime need press the pedal very down to brake the car.

already change new brake pads, brake pump no leaking.

anyone know how to solve its? thx...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience