Hello Guest! Log in or Sign up for a full experience & ad-free!

FWD vs RWD

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

FWD or RWD?

• FWD for no oversteer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RWD for no understeer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
Hi Folks,
Not sure if this has been discussed before but I am just curious why RWD in touring cars incur weight penalty. Even the regulation for FIA WTCC stipulates that RWD mush carry more weight.
FWD = 1170kg
RWD = 1200kg

What advantage does RWD car have?.
I only see disadvantage.. RWD produce less on wheel HP due to power loss at drivetrain.

fwd ur front wheels doing most of the work, accel, brake, corner...front tires bear the brunt of it and prolly wear faster

rwd work is split between the front / rear, rear accel, front brake / corner...tires prolly wear more evenly, there's an advantage there

handling advantage......

i remember somewhere back then....in WTCC where in tight circuit those RWD beemer would conquer all top spot....and in those more open circuit FWD cars conquer top spot.....

:adore:

FD2R is amazing FWD... His cornering ability does not lose to RWD, is it true ? or Just BM being bias ?

FD2R is track spec and so leave it out...

The only car I know that had the same engine but different configuration is AE82 Corolla FX-GT and AE86 Levin. I am sure off the line the corolla may be faster due to on wheel HP. And cornering
Levin maybe faster. How about mid range pickup and top speed?. Being FR is there any advantage in
this area?.

RWD are born for the tracks..

FWD are for road use

that's their history.. now, anything goes

:biggrin:

39563944fwdsucksxz3.jpg

to put it in simple terms...if you want to move a mass/object...pushing will be easier than pulling it...anytime every time...even when applying the same amount of force...that why when a car stalls....people push it...not pull it...if still want to pull...better call a tow truck... :stupid:

I'm agree with D7zul. Just want to add on that it's not easy to handle RWD car compare to FWD car.

I agree too, except more than 350bhp? (i not sure FWD max can take how much bhp)...

then most manufacturer will say: "let go AWD"

Less and lesser RWD :bawling:

ps: base on most production car...

I agree too, except more than 350bhp? (i not sure FWD max can take how much bhp)...

lesser RWD in Malaysia..

if u search d net, there's lots of RWD cars selling around d world

:biggrin:

But many great cars are AWD: GTR, Evo, WRX, Lambos,, Audi R8, 911 Turbo. AWD is like middle ground, can take a LOT of power and be fast on the track but has more degree of safety margin compared to RWD and even FWD, especially in the wet/loose surfaces.

Anyway back to the original thread question, all other things being equal, RWD by law of physics is and will always be faster on track than FWD. Of course there are really2 good FWD like the FD2R, Renault Megane, VW Golf, but ultimately FWD will never be able to take on as much power as RWD/AWD cars. That's why all the fastest cars in the world, either street legal or race cars are NOT FWD.

Last edited:
FD2R is fast, in its category, that's it.. imagine if supercars like 458 italia and lambo aventador are FWD, they'll surely be laughed at and nobody will buy them.. :biggrin:

its easier to achieve 50/50 weight distribution in RWD car. in the hands of pro driver, it is possible to do correction in corner by using accelerator in RWD car. but for FWD, u dont have a lot of thing to do other than lift-off throttle or brake.

my opinion only...

to put it in simple terms...if you want to move a mass/object...pushing will be easier than pulling it...anytime every time...even when applying the same amount of force...that why when a car stalls....people push it...not pull it...if still want to pull...better call a tow truck... :stupid:

technically correct ... but, better put it this way "when you are moving from a standstill, pulling is easier but when you are already at speed, pushing is easier" - go try it out

that's why FWD got lower top speed :P

rwd is the dream for many.
but on track, many things come into play.
for example on BTCC or WTCC or STCC, i think fwd is the way to go but rwd also have its positive side.
some track fwd is king and some track rwd is king.
but if u are being shunted at the back, fwd cars are easier to save whereas rwd will spin.

Jason Plato "What A Save" BTCC 2009 Round 1 Race 3 at Brands Hatch - YouTube

RWD takes a lot of space to recover from accident like that..

FWD takes a lesser space.. therefore, FWD is good for street whereas space is limited most of d time..

RWD can drift :biggrin:

AWD.. what can i say.. best of both world.. :burnout:

A Post Every 5 Mins

Dear Bros & Sisters of ZTH,

Me and my friends were wondering if there is anyone here who knows where we could actually rent or find a place like a Runway which is good enough for more than 5 cars Drag Race or even any Drag Strip around in Malaysia.

Yes, as long as in Malaysia will do.

Thanks in advance. All suggestions would be much appreciated by us.

Would be great if anyone knows anybody that could rent us a runway preferably.

:adore::adore::adore: Thanks!

Online now

Search

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom