First Impression: VW Scirocco R - TSI Turbo FWD

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Looks great, and goes fast. That describes the Scirocco R aptly. Thanks to Zaibi Motors, we also managed to take the 'Roc out for a quick spin around the block, and to have a brief comparison between the Golf R.

Both the Golf and Scirocco R shares the same 2.0-litre TSI engine, but in the Scirocco, produces slightly less horsepower, 265PS, whilst torque remains the same at 350Nm - all which is powered to the front wheels via XDS front differential lock (the Golf has 4Motion AWD). Although the Scirocco R has a smidgen less power, it does have a 200kg weight advantage over the Golf, which does help to keep things interesting. Like the Golf, the Scirocco R gets its own subtle bodykit; the front bumper gets larger air intakes, rear features a new diffuser and dual chrome tailpipes, and 18 inch Talladega alloys.

On the rear, new diffuser and twin tailpipes help to differentiate this 'Roc amongst others...

The lack of AWD hasn't dampened the cornering prowess and the Scirocco R felt planted along sharp, low speed bends and fast corners. Intuitive steering feel and "Sport" mode on the adaptive chassis control helped to communicate feedback to your palms, inspiring some level of confidence when going fast. As usual, the 2.0 TSI unit has bucketloads of torque whilst the 6-speed DSG box shifts seamlessly... and with every gear change was that distinct note, making my hair stand on its ends. There is however, a slight bit of torque steer when you mash your foot into the accelerator.

On our test route, we managed to hit 160mph (~260km/h), and had yet to run out of steam which thoroughly impressed. While the speedo needle moved forwards very quickly, there was another needle I noticed also moving rather quickly... backwards. On our short ~60km test route, it turned out that we had sipped quite a bit of petrol. Will be interesting to properly track fuel consumption of the 'Roc when we finally get our hands on an official test unit.

The look that stirs loins...

Colour looks similar to that of a Subaru... wonder who would win in a race.

Unfortunately, due to poor lighting, we were unable to take better pictures of the Scirocco R. However, we've got some exciting updates on both the Scirocco R and Golf R on Zerotohundred, so stay tuned! As before, we had the opportunity to have a quick test of this Scirocco R thanks to Zaibi Motors. The unit pictured is for sale by them, and their contact details are as below.

Zaibi Motors
Lot 61 Jalan Maarof Bangsar
Kuala Lumpur, 59000
Wilayah Persekutuan
Tel: +603 2283 1737

Scirocco R (UK spec brochure)
Zerotohundred: 5.8secs
Top Speed: 250km/h (limited)
Engine: 2.0L turbocharged 4-cylinder, direct injection
Power: 265PS / 6,000 rpm
Torque: 350Nm / 2,500 – 5,000 rpm
Weight: 1353kg (kerb weight)
Fuel Economy: N/A
Wheels: -
Tyres: -
Price: N/A

2011 VW GOLF R vs. VW SCIROCCO R - YouTube

VW Scirocco R 2.0 TSI 265pk @ 338hp (Stage 2) par BR-Performance - YouTube

264 km/h en Volkswagen Scirocco R (Option Auto) - YouTube

Attachments

Last edited:

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
finally, a follow up to the last one, is this a mauve coloured car?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Those kind of torque figures, the torque steer must be astronomical! Does it have a LSD like the Focus RS?

aalto

Known Member
Dec 31, 2004
Why is the guy driving the Scirroco driving like an ass? (1st video)

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The Scirocco does not have LSD, but the XDS system works in a way that mimics LSD. In truth, the effect of torque steer wasn't that bad, and was still manageable. Overall, the Scirocco R is more of a raw machine, whilst the Golf R is more controlled, focused, and easier to drive.

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Ariel, the Golf R has AWD and weighs 200kg more than the Scirocco R, actually.

Golf R
- AWD
- 270PS
- 350Nm
- 1521kg

Scirocco R
- FWD
- 265PS
- 350Nm
- 1353kg

Bogie

May 2, 2010
Terengganu
i would go for golf r as well...4xMotion will gives a plenty of room for further tuning... we can also find cross differential in normal Golf GTI & normal scirocco.

super.star

Known Member
Mar 7, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
ohsem...!
Fuel meter? :flute:

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

ohsem...!
Fuel meter? :flute:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi Guys!

This happened to me about a month plus ago. I was working late in the office at Dataran Sunway. It was 3am plus so i thought i just sleep over which is what i always do. I got a call at about 7 plus from a guy who says he is the area's security. He told me my car has been broken into. I rushed out to see my passenger side glass has been shatered. My HU, Amps, woofer, speakers Smart tag, Engine management, boost controller, Defi meter & controller & even the farker took the time to...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience