FD2R vs Golf TI - Reliable vs Cost

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
You just need to look at the TTA results in the last few years to see how quick the FD2R on track, at least in Sepang.
he said out of the box...stock..

not extremely modified like kazama fd2r...
then compare it with singaporean impreza...:adore:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Seriously? How can a FD2R beat an Impreza WRX STI on track? Even in stock form, Impreza WRX STI had more horsepower, torque and a 4WD layout compared to the FD2R.
Other than Panamera Turbo S, M5 can be considered as well.
You just need to look at the TTA results in the last few years to see how quick the FD2R on track, at least in Sepang.
he said out of the box...stock..

not extremely modified like kazama fd2r...
then compare it with singaporean impreza...:adore:
I am referencing the 2012 R1 TTA cause I remember the impressive results of the FD2R

NA Street Class Hall Of Fame

Turbo Street Class Hall Of Fame – TIMETOATTACK Round 1 2012

The street class is closer to stock form, and the FD2R can make limited power increase due to its naturally aspirated form. And you can see FD2R can clock better times.

When you do extreme mods, turbo always benefit from a larger power increase, easily. Everybody knows its easier to make more power with a turbo than NA.

NA Super Street Class Hall Of Fame – TIMETOATTACK Round 1 2012

Turbo Super Street Class Hall Of Fame – TIMETOATTACK Round 1 2012

FD2R is still not that much slower in the Super Street Class.

The Subaru Impreza STi in stock form (v8/v9) is pretty weak in terms of handling, requiring mods like the whiteline anti-lift mod, among others, and most would agree out of the box the Evo 8/9 is superior in handling to the Impreza -- the slalom tests and G-force plots proves that.

And this is in Sepang. On an even smaller track with less straights where the turbos cannot flex its muscles, FD2R will simply thrash the rest.

cRazYee

Known Member
Oct 7, 2005
I have seen many APR Stage 3 Golf GTIs, they run well compare to other VWs because they say Golf is uing wet clutch instead of dry clutch. Not sure. But Golf GTI can take some serious power gains.
For me, FI for the win. Just cannot not love the BOV sound.
Regarding number 4, after sales, just check VW Malaysia FB page. They suck badly.

This car can't take a lot of beatings wor. :\
are u sure?

cRazYee

Known Member
Oct 7, 2005
if you wanna race, FD2R
if you wanna be another "trend guy", pick any VW
someone even feel they are special with Polo, whic is 17 years old boy car

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Not an owner but my friend's friend owned one.
it's bang of the buck for power
track pretty well as well

that's all i know

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
if you wanna race, FD2R
if you wanna be another "trend guy", pick any VW
someone even feel they are special with Polo, whic is 17 years old boy car

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

it's bang of the buck for power
track pretty well as well

that's all i know
Well, yeah. But my friend say its crap. I wouldn't know until i drive it. haha.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
are u sure?
Golf Mk5 uses wet clutch DSG.. mk6 uses dry clutch DSG which has many issues, similar to the Polos, Jettas etc that uses the same dry clutch system.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I am referencing the 2012 R1 TTA cause I remember the impressive results of the FD2R

NA Street Class Hall Of Fame

Turbo Street Class Hall Of Fame – TIMETOATTACK Round 1 2012

The street class is closer to stock form, and the FD2R can make limited power increase due to its naturally aspirated form. And you can see FD2R can clock better times.

When you do extreme mods, turbo always benefit from a larger power increase, easily. Everybody knows its easier to make more power with a turbo than NA.

NA Super Street Class Hall Of Fame – TIMETOATTACK Round 1 2012

Turbo Super Street Class Hall Of Fame – TIMETOATTACK Round 1 2012

FD2R is still not that much slower in the Super Street Class.

The Subaru Impreza STi in stock form (v8/v9) is pretty weak in terms of handling, requiring mods like the whiteline anti-lift mod, among others, and most would agree out of the box the Evo 8/9 is superior in handling to the Impreza -- the slalom tests and G-force plots proves that.

And this is in Sepang. On an even smaller track with less straights where the turbos cannot flex its muscles, FD2R will simply thrash the rest.
I got it wrong earlier then. But from the list, only 1 Civic FD2R clocked less than 2.30. So, by average the other FD2Rs had clocked at roughly between 2.30 to 2.40.
Comparing results at TTA is also a rather subjective matter because the cars are driven by different drivers with different skills. So, it's not really a fair direct 1 on 1 comparison.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Not serious. Just haven't tailgate you in a very long time.
:thefinger:

When I pick up those Densos I'll be sure to give your car new 'decals'. :thefinger:

Incidentally, I've been on both cars because my friends drive both cars to work. We go lunch everyday and alternate between several cars, one of which is Golf MK6 and the other FD2R. The FD2R may be more spacious internally but that suspension is enough to break bones. The MK6 just wafts along in its more cramped interior but the full leather treatment and awesome dashboard makes up for it la. And you don't need to be screaming to get the torque. I don't think we've ever engaged VTEC long enough to be of any use on our lunch runs. MK6 on the other hand has low end torque and mid end pull, enough to overtake annoying buses and Myvis... to get to our chicken rice faster. :biggrin:

But I don't live with these two cars so I can't comment anymore than what I know from the owners.

Jose

Known Member
Aug 3, 2006
Subang Jaya
Golf TSi MK6 - 7 speed DSG dry clutch - avoid this. famous for mecha failure

Golf GTI MK6 - 6 speed DSG wet Clutch - this is the real deal.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
:thefinger:

When I pick up those Densos I'll be sure to give your car new 'decals'. :thefinger:

Incidentally, I've been on both cars because my friends drive both cars to work. We go lunch everyday and alternate between several cars, one of which is Golf MK6 and the other FD2R. The FD2R may be more spacious internally but that suspension is enough to break bones. The MK6 just wafts along in its more cramped interior but the full leather treatment and awesome dashboard makes up for it la. And you don't need to be screaming to get the torque. I don't think we've ever engaged VTEC long enough to be of any use on our lunch runs. MK6 on the other hand has low end torque and mid end pull, enough to overtake annoying buses and Myvis... to get to our chicken rice faster. :biggrin:

But I don't live with these two cars so I can't comment anymore than what I know from the owners.
You've had cool friends, haha. You're right. GTI's low end torque is more practical for city driving and overtaking in low rpm. FD2R however is like a full fledged track car with all it's function being focused on track/performance use instead of city driving.

GTI can also be said as a dual function car as it can perform on track and be used as a daily car without much hassle. FD2R is more towards a pure track car which sacrifices practical functions and concentrated on performance.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
I would consider FD2-R wins hands down. Reliability comes with less cost of maintenance. The following 2 things are always of the most concerned of all, strictly make comparison by reliability and cost.

Engine: K20A wins
Simply because GTI has one more animal under the hood to take care of: the snail

Gearbox: traditional manual transmission wins, ie FD2-R
Though not the fastest, but it is the most tested, easiest and cheapest to maintain.

Spare parts: Jap wins.
I think this is very obvious to many. Besides not all mechanics know to handle German cars. But those can repair Jap cars are surely many time more. And Japanese spare parts are easy to source.

Besides, maybe the price parity between RON95 and RON97 makes FD2-R less attractive but I would still say Civic FD2-R is at the top of the chart.