engine conversion opinion wanted

hani

Oct 9, 2006
guys, apreciate your comment should i or should i not to transplant this engine based on the spec below:

current ride : kelisa
cc 1000
spec : 55 bhp
max output 40.5KW / 5200rpm
Max.torque 88.3 Nm / 3600rpm

to

daihatsu engine L700
cc 660T
spec : 64 bhp
Max. output:(47 kW) @ 6400 rpm
Max. torque:107.0 Nm @ 3600 rpm

1. i was thinking whether is it worth me to convert from 1000cc to 660T?
some say that L700 pick up is more but top speed die ..im not sure how to read this technical data

2. effect in terms of fuel consumption and others..
some says that fc tend to suffer as it is a downgrade from 1000 to 660

3. is there is a big gap in terms of hp gain from 55 to 64 hp or just nothing significant ?

plse help
tan kiu

kct

Known Member
Dec 11, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
1. Up to you, although I don't really recommend it because you may suffer from some turbo lag off-boost. Top speed is dependent on transmission too.

2. Not really. A turbocharged engine may take more fuel, even if the engine capacity decreases. Expect the consumption to increase a bit.

3. Quite, but you have to factor the lag, and that applies as maximum horsepower. So if you do not always drive at the upper engine range then you might suffer from lag.

Adeen

2,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2006
kl
why dun u just BOT the kelisa engine...??

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
hani said:
3. is there is a big gap in terms of hp gain from 55 to 64 hp or just nothing significant ?
on paper, the horsepower difference may not seem big. but on the road, driving feel is totally different. and since its a turbo engine, u can do wonders to it at minimal cost. even with rm1k budget(after transplant) u can have at least 10-15hp increase...

kher

1,500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
Klang, Selangor
Visit site
Fuel consummtion will depend on ur setup also. Not necessary oni c the engine cc.

Reagrding the 55hp--->64hp it is consider a lot gain for me.
To get 1hp also need to spend some amount of money.

alien

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2004
kuala lumpur
Visit site
hani said:
guys, apreciate your comment should i or should i not to transplant this engine based on the spec below:

cc 1000

to

daihatsu engine L700
cc 660T

some say that L700 pick up is more but top speed die ..im not sure how to read this technical data

plse help
tan kiu
1. sorry but i cant really answer tat since i dun own a kelisa, but the pick up should be better with the 660 turbo unit..

2. fuel consumption will depend on your drivin style for a car like yours.
it is proven tat a L2 kancil with a 660cc turbo engine transplant 'could' actually go further with the same amount of fuel than a stock kancil, if u keep everything standard, since the torque and power are increased u dont have to 'step on it' so much just to overtake the car in front.
but bear in mind, with a much more responsive engine, u tend to WANT to step on it more.. haha..
but bottom line is, if u keep the stock setup, no bigger rims or higher boost, the fuel consumption will be okay..

3. 55-64 upgrade equals to 9hp and tat's almost 20% gain.
tat's a lot for any car, and it means much much more when it's a small car like the kelisa..

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
If you choose to get the L700 for the first month or first few month you might be enjoying the Turbo boosting but after a while you will start feeling high FC as you keep boosting...you know fuel price is keep increasing nowadays ....

Also the L700 engine is 2nd hand and we don't really know how the previous use use it (even it's low mileage) but i think it's still older then your current original NA Kelisa engine.

Later when come to Turbo maintenance and part finding you might heading...aside engine upgrade to Turbo, you need to upgrade brake system since stock one might not good enough to stop the monster...then suspension also...

After all conversion and alot %% spend you will feel the car no longer confortable to drive since it's no longer a comfort street car instead a steering racing car...

If you always stuck in traffic jam then your leg might cramp by the clutch...if u wanna use auto tranny better dun convert....

Wanna buy, buy a original Turbo car which chasis, body, brake, tranmission all built to handle turbo....

Just my 2 cents. Hope no hard feeling ya :D

Captain

Oct 11, 2006
hani said:

cc 1000

to

daihatsu engine L700
cc 660T

Explained and submit via quick reply. Check it out please.. :shades_smile:

joejef

Known Member
Sep 4, 2005
puchong
keep long term

hani, im in used car business, a few month back a kelisa 1.0 conv to 660 L7, it looks and feel good on performance and the (cheww cheww) bov feels great, but then when he decided to sell the car,,,,, the finance value the kelisa according to kancil 660, because of the L7 660cc. say the kelisa suppose to value at 27k, it becomes 15k.. so think hard.. unless u gonna keep the car for a very long time....... cheers

hani

Oct 9, 2006
im very much apreciate abt the comment above, least it open up my mind abt the drawbacks of the conversion... summore some frends also told me that i need to consider on sacrifising the thrill when cruising on 660T at highway as the turbo need time to relax (off boost ) around 110 km/h ... is this true ?

how abt if i overcome it by keeping my original 1000cc gearbox to overcome this as the final gear ratio is longer (from my understding)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

got a slight prob here...once in a while the reading will go crazy...as if the thing is faulty....but after a while its back to normal....it happened recently....does it mean the sensor is showing sign of faulty?or the sensor attachment is loose?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience