DIY spring Stiffener

kenken

500 RPM
Oct 7, 2005
Ipoh
ygyau..i believe not all cars have constant spring rate..

ndselvam

Known Member
May 20, 2006
spring stiffener

got pics i dono how to upload -----

HEHEHEH

am_izham

Known Member
Oct 17, 2004
Kota Bharu
Visit site
cut spring = stiffen? where u learn that dude! cut spring = shorten. but not stiffen.. -_- common sense goes wrong !
bro, please do some research and get the facts right before flaming others. cutting springs does indeed increase the spring rates (stiffens it).

Basically, Spring Rate is the amount of weight needed to compress a spring a certain . Springs are rated in LB/in (in metric system kg/mm), or specifically, how many pounds of weight are required to depress the spring by one inch. To convert LB/in to kg/mm international, you must divide divide figure by 56. Consider you have 2 springs having different spring rates: One with 345 g/mm and the other with 480 g/mm. So what does it mean? It means the 1st spring will compress 1 mm if you put a load of 345 grams, while the 2nd one will not. The 2nd one will need a 480 g. load to compress 1 mm. According to this, we can say that the 2nd spring is harder than the 1st one, or we can state that: Springs that have a low Spring Rate are soft, while springs that have a high Spring Rate are stiffer. If there are 2 different values listed, it means that the spring starts at one rate, and ends at another rate under full compression. For example: a 10lb to 25lb progressive spring will need 10lb to compress it the first inch, then 13lb the next inch, and so on, until the end of the travel; it will take 25lb to compress it the last inch. The benefit of this is that the spring can be soft enough at the start of the travel to offer a soft ride yet be stiff enough at the end of the travel to performance well during hard braking and turning. What Affects the Spring Rate? There are 3 things that affect the spring rate: 1. Diameter of the wire: Diameter of the wire itself affects the spring rate because when diameter of the wire increases it gets stronger, meaning a wire which is harder to compress. So, if we know that a wire becomes harder when its diameter increases, we can say that: When wire diameter increases, spring rate increases. 2. Diameter of the spring: That is in fact `the mean diameter of the spring`, achieved by subtracting the diameter of the wire from diameter of the spring: The overall outside diameter of the spring (mm) - diameter of the wire (mm) When diameter of the spring increases, the spring rate decreases. 3. Number of Active Coils (length/height of the spring): Determination of the number of active coils varies according to spring design. Count the total coils minus two for springs with both ends closed. Count the total coils minus one for springs with one end closed and one end open. As the number of active coils decreases, the spring rate increases. Normal Springs has a fixed spring rate. Step Linear Springs are springs which have 2 different spring rates. Progressive Springs have a variable spring rate.

info taken at Tuning Car for Find Out What is Spring Rate

ndselvam

Known Member
May 20, 2006
Wat you are saying in technically right- but when u cut the rates increases- the comfort is totally gone -thats when u get bumpy ride-

Here we are trying to make our own effort to save money and get wat we want .

The advice to cut spring is not good - since its going to loose comfort-

Anyway all opinions are good-Thanks for ur technical info bro-

I got an idea but i dont need to try it

The idea is to get old rubber bush and slot it in between the spring -Try it out- just an idea--

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
yes...
its all about hard rubber to slot in middle of spring
when some coil cannot move.. the moving coil become less.. than our spring rate increase

i heard about it before
but not saw before
anyone got pic?
what is it call? i wan to buy and DIY also
but i dono what it called

bro, please do some research and get the facts right before flaming others. cutting springs does indeed increase the spring rates (stiffens it).

Basically, Spring Rate is the amount of weight needed to compress a spring a certain . Springs are rated in LB/in (in metric system kg/mm), or specifically, how many pounds of weight are required to depress the spring by one inch. To convert LB/in to kg/mm international, you must divide divide figure by 56. Consider you have 2 springs having different spring rates: One with 345 g/mm and the other with 480 g/mm. So what does it mean? It means the 1st spring will compress 1 mm if you put a load of 345 grams, while the 2nd one will not. The 2nd one will need a 480 g. load to compress 1 mm. According to this, we can say that the 2nd spring is harder than the 1st one, or we can state that: Springs that have a low Spring Rate are soft, while springs that have a high Spring Rate are stiffer. If there are 2 different values listed, it means that the spring starts at one rate, and ends at another rate under full compression. For example: a 10lb to 25lb progressive spring will need 10lb to compress it the first inch, then 13lb the next inch, and so on, until the end of the travel; it will take 25lb to compress it the last inch. The benefit of this is that the spring can be soft enough at the start of the travel to offer a soft ride yet be stiff enough at the end of the travel to performance well during hard braking and turning. What Affects the Spring Rate? There are 3 things that affect the spring rate: 1. Diameter of the wire: Diameter of the wire itself affects the spring rate because when diameter of the wire increases it gets stronger, meaning a wire which is harder to compress. So, if we know that a wire becomes harder when its diameter increases, we can say that: When wire diameter increases, spring rate increases. 2. Diameter of the spring: That is in fact `the mean diameter of the spring`, achieved by subtracting the diameter of the wire from diameter of the spring: The overall outside diameter of the spring (mm) - diameter of the wire (mm) When diameter of the spring increases, the spring rate decreases. 3. Number of Active Coils (length/height of the spring): Determination of the number of active coils varies according to spring design. Count the total coils minus two for springs with both ends closed. Count the total coils minus one for springs with one end closed and one end open. As the number of active coils decreases, the spring rate increases. Normal Springs has a fixed spring rate. Step Linear Springs are springs which have 2 different spring rates. Progressive Springs have a variable spring rate.

info taken at Tuning Car for Find Out What is Spring Rate
bro, you are so nice to explain to him...
usually i not bother to explain also
he seems so 'certain' and also insult others when he post
and all he post is a joke for us to laugh at... if me i not bother to explain also. :)
simple secondary school physic also not understand
like our 'semi value' who never graduate primary school and talk loudly in front of TV

cekau

Known Member
Oct 5, 2005
if all the work gone into the drench .. just buy new sets of stiffer spring .. heheh

melvtec

Known Member
Sep 12, 2005
KL - KT
just like those adjustable 1, when u lower the car height, the car will ride harder. same thing from the formula.
ye ker?i'm using adjustable but when i adjust to lowered the car...the ride is not harder...but must adjust the soft/hard setting to get the better setting i want...i think the stiffness ur suspension is not from ur spring only but combination wif ur absorber...that why adjustable come wif hi/lo or soft/hard or fully adjustable wif hi/lo n soft/hard...n i dont think cutting spring will stiffen ur ride!
TQ

m a v [3] r i c k

9,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
KL
Visit site
Hi,

Hope I'm not wrong.

Cutting springs and compressing springs are 2 different things.

Cutting springs means you still have the same spring diameter, same diameter of the wire and same number of coils per unit length (but of course your springs are shorter thus having less coils). The only difference is the length of your springs is shorter. The property (or the stiffness) of the springs remain the same.

Compressing springs does increase the stiffness of the springs due to increase of number of coils per unit length. Springs are compressed using heat and we know heat changes a property and characteristic of a metal/steel. In this case, the characteristic of the springs is changed.

But thickness of the wire of the springs is not the only factor that detemine its stiffness, property and characteristic of the material used is also taken into consideration (harder material with smaller diameter could be stiffer than softer material with thicker diameter)

So IF I'm not wrong, cutting springs does not make the springs stiffer. Only makes your ride lower.

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
well number of coil do affect stiffness.
Given the material is the same.
the less number of coil, the stiffer the spring.

sky_lor

Known Member
Jan 9, 2005
anyone noe where can i get the spring cushiong that mention by xtorm?bcoz i really need this thing because when i fetching ppl, the rear tend to be too soft and will hit the fender...

am_izham

Known Member
Oct 17, 2004
Kota Bharu
Visit site
m a v [3] r i c k;2080937 said:
Hi,

Hope I'm not wrong.

Cutting springs and compressing springs are 2 different things.

Cutting springs means you still have the same spring diameter, same diameter of the wire and same number of coils per unit length (but of course your springs are shorter thus having less coils). The only difference is the length of your springs is shorter. The property (or the stiffness) of the springs remain the same.

Compressing springs does increase the stiffness of the springs due to increase of number of coils per unit length. Springs are compressed using heat and we know heat changes a property and characteristic of a metal/steel. In this case, the characteristic of the springs is changed.

But thickness of the wire of the springs is not the only factor that determine its stiffness, property and characteristic of the material used is also taken into consideration (harder material with smaller diameter could be stiffer than softer material with thicker diameter)

So IF I'm not wrong, cutting springs does not make the springs stiffer. Only makes your ride lower.
u see, a coil spring is just a torsion bar (do a search on wikipedia) that is wounded up to form a coil. the nature of torsion bars is that the longer the the softer it will be and vice versa.

so the idea of a cut spring is the same as cutting the torsion bar. yes, you still have the same spring diameter, same diameter of the wire, but it will have a shorter overall length of the wire as in shorter torsion bars thus, harder spring rates.

but, cutting a spring by just a coil doesn't increase the rate that much depending on the design of the original spring. let's make some examples: a spring that has an overall height of 10 inches and has 10 full coils, if we cut one(1) coil we will increase the rate by 10% and at the same time reduce the height by 1 inch.

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
izham, nice example there.
totally agree, :) to be honest i never think of that way also
i always think of spring fomulae only

cant beleive many ppl here not even study secondary school.
no offence here, but some thing just almost as easy as common sense.
there are many nice people here giving good explaination and example here.
well its none of my business if anyone got the wrong idea or right idea. your mind is own by yourself.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Kindly help my friend , if spotted please contact the number in the pic.

Range Rover Evoque 2 Door

White Colour

Number plate : NAP 8

Last seen in Kuchai Lama
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience