DIY spring Stiffener

tigershark1976

Known Member
Aug 24, 2006
Anyone know how to DIY a spring stiffener? It is used in between the spring to make it more stiff... to improve braking and handling. I know splitfire is selling but too ex.... around S$80/pair.

For me, I wan to use it so that when going over a hump, my lowered ride wont hit the undercarriage so easily....

ndselvam

Known Member
May 20, 2006
DIY spring Stiffener

Dude, i had smae problem my spring abit low so always hit undercariage

Wat i did was

1. I bought 1 meter of rubber hose RM 7 -The Good one got double layer with threads all like the gas hose type-Heat resistant to certain level

2 Slot it in on the lower part of spring for about 5-7 " until u can push max.Use some rubber grease to ease the process

3. Fit the spring back - go for ride and see whether stiff enuff or not- if still not enough do the same to upper part of the spring too

4.If u do this too all four - u ll have less squeking noise and wat i see is car slightly higher and handling still as good as it was.

I user iswara- wat car u use ?

ken12292703

Drives a shopping cart...
Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
Hi bro, adding rubber hoses won't stiffen the spring. It acts as a cussion only.

To stiffen the spring, you have to cut it or buy a new set. External reinforcement of spring will tend to offset the characteristics of the spring which is dangerous.

The cheapest way i can think of is, get top and bottom cussion from spare part shop or cut the spring 1/2 coil or both.

ndselvam

Known Member
May 20, 2006
Cutting the spring goin to make it worst ,Try sloting rubber hose if its cushion properly then it will be hard ..Cutting is the worst idea - instead or buying new one might as well slot rubber the whole spring

up to u to try it - just my idea worked for me

unknown1x

Known Member
Sep 26, 2006
cut spring = stiffen? where u learn that dude! cut spring = shorten. but not stiffen.. -_- common sense goes wrong !

ndselvam

Known Member
May 20, 2006
spring stiffener

nicely said - unknownx1

hahahah

Last edited:

xavier

Known Member
Oct 23, 2005
Cut spring = Stiffen suspension? Hmmms...

cut spring = stiffen? where u learn that dude! cut spring = shorten. but not stiffen.. -_- common sense goes wrong !
I totally agree! Shortening the spring = Stiffening??? Alamak! More like your ride will be like a boat in the middle of a rough sea! Hahaha! :confused_smile:

cheewooi

Jun 29, 2005
Serdang
How to slot the rubber host in? I am driving Wira, do we need to dismantle the suspension and slot it in? Or we can just do by jack up the car and remove the tires?

tigershark1976

Known Member
Aug 24, 2006
I think the gas hose is a good idea... cutting the spring?? I agree with most bros here... it'll do nothing but risk your life only!

ndselvam

Known Member
May 20, 2006
Im not sure how is suspension system is configured either independant or like separate.anyway here how to do it-

1-JAck up the car
2- Remove the absorber ,take out the springs.
3- Put some rubber grease on the spring -Slot in the rubber for about 5-10 inch as much as you can
4-Fit everything back - Do alignment again
5-If you do no how to do - PM me ill intro my mechanic to u - he is good and this stuff and - reasonable price for me he charged RM 30 including the hose about 1 hour plus job -

NoMercy

Known Member
Mar 27, 2004
I totally agree! Shortening the spring = Stiffening??? Alamak! More like your ride will be like a boat in the middle of a rough sea! Hahaha! :confused_smile:

according to physic theory, shorten a spring will actually increase the cuted spring rate, so is = stiffening. Can refer to form4 physic on that.

about the proble of 'middle of rough sea' actually alot of ppl din notice dat after change to a shorter spring or cut spring will reduce ur shock travelling distance, meaning to say that the gap ur car can play taking the bump stop(rubber thing that slot into the shock rod) into account is actually lesser than original and too little until u hit the bump stop every time ur shock start to travel.

if dare to cut the bump stop, the ride will be better, but ready for a hit under carriage or fender if u carry lot of ppl in ur car as ur car got a lower ride bottom height limit d.

back to the question of this thread, rubber hose will help if is on a progresive type of spring, but it will eventually contra with ur main aim of lowering ur car, now u r permanently putting it up a little again. anyway jus my 2cent input, no offence to anyone.

Last edited:

xtorm

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2003
ever check out tose taiwan meg? they hav tis rubber to slot in between spring....

i bought 4 spring cushion, duno how u call it, rm8 each, its round and 1" high, they hav few sizes tho, so buy depend on the distance between each round of ur spring.

its O shade, cut it so u break the O shape and slot it between ur spring rounding....

did it on my car, it feels stiffer when pressing it down and take corner better,,,,but feels the road better also :P, hates tose little holes!!! but can take it out anytime

will try to snap a pic so u guys can understand wat im trying to say

nomercy...wow little ppl knows abt the bump stop trick :) muz b a player :P

ygjau

Nov 25, 2005
F=kx
F= force(N), k= spring rate (N/mm), x=distance(mm)
k is constant, so when x reduce when u cut it, F will increase (means harder to press)

arsenalboi

1,000 RPM
Aug 25, 2006
selvam any pics? btw good yasui jack usually how much? we all not so loaded to buy workshop car hydraulic raiser lah :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The debut of Scholl Concepts and a EPIC detailing duo with http://www.wetshine.net

The Legendary #98 out of #99 Fiat 500 Abarth

The all new Audi A6 Hybrid

A neglected and abused daily ride restored

A maintained by driver fully swirled up Porsche...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience