DIY Boot Sound Deadening *pics*

DLegend

Official Contributor
Feb 16, 2004
Penang
jayjaynyc.blogspot.com
Decided to sounddeaden my Waja's boot during this semester break..... I already plastered the floor of the Waja with Dynamat Extreme, so I have only RM150 left. Here goes....

Here are some pics to share:

Hope this helps anyone who wants to try to DIY :)

Materials:
1. SikaDamp360 x3 pieces (limited budget) RM105.00 (supplier :boeytan)
2. Insuflex (10mm x2) RM4x.00 (supplier :boeytan)
3. Scissors & Penknife
4. Dunlop CA Glue RM15 (big can)
5. Whiteboard marker pen
6. Old newspaper
7. Vacuum cleaner
8. Cold drinks RM3.00

Here are the materials used:
Silver pieces are SikaDamp630 & black mats are Insuflex

First, strip the boot and vacuum it clean:
(Note the Dynamat Extreme that was left over from the floor project)

Next, I placed the SikaDamp where i wanted to cover (exhaust noise) & cut it to shape :
Remember to press it in place ( Use a heat source to soften the mat if required )

Then, remove the backing paper and stick the SikaDamp to the surface with sufficient pressure:

Use the rest of the SikaDamp to cover the other important spots:

After the SikaDamp's done, i used the old newspaper and drew out the shape to make templates for the Insuflex:

Then, cut the Insuflex according to the templates and apply Dunlop glue to the "rough" side of the mats and wait for the glue to harden slighty .... then STICK AWAY !!! :

Here's when it's done:
( I left the higher portion un-matted because i'm gonna put my subbox there )

Here are more pics of the Insuflex mats:

Bootlid dampened also:

Finally, i cut another piece of Insuflex just to lay it on top of the dampened boot ( just before putting the floorboards back - no glue )

Don't forget to clean up the mess after finishing :)

That's all for now, will do the doors next semester break.

Results:

1. Noticeable reduction in exhaust note intrusion
2. More pronounced noise coming from engine portion (more work to be done)
3. Whole car smells like glue for a week !!!
4. Subwoofer hits harder and deeper... not sure why.

:)
Jay Jay.

boeytan

500 RPM
Oct 22, 2004
nice job man.. when wan to help me do? hehehe.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
isn't insuflex supposed to absorb sound? Have you tested your sub with and without the top sheet of insuflex? I've heard my friends car with and without it and with it the dynamat did a better job

boeytan

500 RPM
Oct 22, 2004
kruger said:
good job bro ;) two thumbs up :p
kruger, no c u in my MSN list...

DLegend

Official Contributor
Feb 16, 2004
Penang
jayjaynyc.blogspot.com
Hahaa boeytan, i'm back in Nilai already.... nexttime lar... then u give me a few pieces of Dynamat... :) next semester break is during November.

Izso, the top layer is to reduce any other exhaust noise intrusions (hopefully) ... 'cause the waja's stock muffler is quite noisy already (noisy to me). The original floorboard is put on top of the top Insuflex, so doesn't make any difference in terms of the sub's wave reflections (sendiri blur adi....)

Anyway, i will post more pics once my custom sub box and new floorboard is done. :)

boeytan

500 RPM
Oct 22, 2004
DLegend said:
Hahaa boeytan, i'm back in Nilai already.... nexttime lar... then u give me a few pieces of Dynamat... :) next semester break is during November.

Izso, the top layer is to reduce any other exhaust noise intrusions (hopefully) ... 'cause the waja's stock muffler is quite noisy already (noisy to me). The original floorboard is put on top of the top Insuflex, so doesn't make any difference in terms of the sub's wave reflections (sendiri blur adi....)

Anyway, i will post more pics once my custom sub box and new floorboard is done. :)
haha.. kidding bro.. i already dampen whole boot.... but maybe put another layer insulfex lar.

DLegend

Official Contributor
Feb 16, 2004
Penang
jayjaynyc.blogspot.com
Hi cutypuppy, welcome to ZTH :)
I got the Insuflex from Boeytan, u can just click on his name and send him a message to get more info. Anyway, where are u located? If you're near KLIA, i have another spare piece of 10mm Insuflex with me.

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
izso,
are u comparing insulation material with dampenign material?? they work totally diff.. if u are playing with SQ bass.. then inslflex/or superlon would not be a go choice.. but for me... my boot superloned.. still find de bass nice to my ears...

if anyone from serdang wan insulflex... i have too... but have to let me know la... i dun keep much... rm15 for 6mm, rm20 for 10mm

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

lately there's been many so called fuel saving product in the market...so many until pening kepala i see...if wanna fix the whole engine bay can be flooded with them..which one can trust one? i installed VS and grounding kit in my car and i just ditch the old air box for a performance air filter..now my car runs much faster..is my mind playing tricks with me? and my mech said regular servicing and tuning is the best way to save on fc..true o not? help me guys...newbie damn confused here..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience