Continental tyre issue on Inspira 2.0

josephlauby

Known Member
Apr 10, 2009
Penang
Good day:biggrin:. I'm a proud owner of a Proton Inspira 2.0E. 2012 model, purchased & collected 30th July 2013 which makes my car is only 6months old. All 4 tyres are Continental which came with the car.

All tyres were inspected personally before travelling. NO chips off the tyre walls & has been properly inflated.

On the 31st of Jan, I traveled from SP to Ipoh without stopping at any rest stops. A couple of KMs after Taiping exit, I realized a soft wind flopping sound which within a few seconds became quite loud & i immediately pulled to the emergency lane to have a check. Breaking was quite a challenge but the car managed to come to a full stop. It was my left/back tyre which to my horror was completely ripped & torn. Long story short, changed to the spare & I'm now running on used tyre for the moment.

I've attached some photos for comment purposes. Any idea what could have caused the damage? As checked by PLUS personal & the tyre shop foreman there were no nails. Both mentioned possibility that my tyre was 1 out of 100 which was bad due to QC. Not gonna speculate for the moment. All 4tyres were manufactured year 2011.

I've called Proton hotline to report on this issue but was informed to refer to the SC instead. My preferred SC is closed today & hopefully I can get them tomorrow. Can I claim Proton for the damaged tyre?

Thank you in advance. :biggrin:
Joseph

Attachments

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Thank god you stopped, and rim looks undamaged. Continental tyres are rubbish, unless for the imports. The local ones are made in Slime tayar factory in Malaysia. Sorry, Sime tayar, that handles like slime.

josephlauby

Known Member
Apr 10, 2009
Penang
ixeo, rim is fine but maybe some scratches.

stupidcar, no cracks was visible. Through-out the time i've owned the car, 100% driven on paved roads. No overloading to the car before so shouldn't have caused stress to the back wheels before. Hopefully i'll be able to get replacement tyres from Proton / Continental tyres. Looking forward to change 1 whole set. Since all tyres might be from the same batch, possibility my other 3 pieces might have problem as well. Fingers crossed.

radhie

500 RPM
May 16, 2006
Try claim with proton, u got the car which is 2012 stock, bet the car has been parked at the warehouse for a long time.i got my 2012 inspira jun 2013 last year ..after a week of driving the car, tried to speed up to 120km/h but the steering vibrates really bad, checked the tyre at the tyre shop and do balancing, the tyre man told me if i do the balancing the problem wont solve, due to the tyre shape/surface is not round, some surface. Maybe because of the car was parked for a long time.. End up i changed to 17 inch wheels..
Luckily nothing bad happen to ur car

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Good day:biggrin:. I'm a proud owner of a Proton Inspira 2.0E. 2012 model, purchased & collected 30th July 2013 which makes my car is only 6months old. All 4 tyres are Continental which came with the car.

All tyres were inspected personally before travelling. NO chips off the tyre walls & has been properly inflated.

On the 31st of Jan, I traveled from SP to Ipoh without stopping at any rest stops. A couple of KMs after Taiping exit, I realized a soft wind flopping sound which within a few seconds became quite loud & i immediately pulled to the emergency lane to have a check. Breaking was quite a challenge but the car managed to come to a full stop. It was my left/back tyre which to my horror was completely ripped & torn. Long story short, changed to the spare & I'm now running on used tyre for the moment.

I've attached some photos for comment purposes. Any idea what could have caused the damage? As checked by PLUS personal & the tyre shop foreman there were no nails. Both mentioned possibility that my tyre was 1 out of 100 which was bad due to QC. Not gonna speculate for the moment. All 4tyres were manufactured year 2011.

I've called Proton hotline to report on this issue but was informed to refer to the SC instead. My preferred SC is closed today & hopefully I can get them tomorrow. Can I claim Proton for the damaged tyre?

Thank you in advance. :biggrin:
Joseph

Bro., Lucky it was your rear tyres. If the front deflated you may have lost control especially driving fast on the highway.
Anyway for your tyres you can try claiming them at Continental but I think you need to send to their HQ in PJ. The sidewall have torn off because the tyres were completely deflated and was cut by the rim edge pressure. Whether you can claim or not will be determined by Conti service center.
Please send in for check up especially the other 3 pieces, because you need to check the side facing inside too....:listen:

josephlauby

Known Member
Apr 10, 2009
Penang
Try claim with proton, u got the car which is 2012 stock, bet the car has been parked at the warehouse for a long time.i got my 2012 inspira jun 2013 last year ..after a week of driving the car, tried to speed up to 120km/h but the steering vibrates really bad, checked the tyre at the tyre shop and do balancing, the tyre man told me if i do the balancing the problem wont solve, due to the tyre shape/surface is not round, some surface. Maybe because of the car was parked for a long time.. End up i changed to 17 inch wheels..
Luckily nothing bad happen to ur car
radhie, I've tried this afternoon with Proton centre but was unsuccessful. The technician mentioned that Proton's warranty covers all except tyres, wipers, & some other things which i didn't pay much attention to. Yup, i'm grateful that nothing happened. The scary thing was when i was trying to slow down to a full stop, it was extremely tough as like there wasn't any breaking power at all.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Bro., Lucky it was your rear tyres. If the front deflated you may have lost control especially driving fast on the highway.
Anyway for your tyres you can try claiming them at Continental but I think you need to send to their HQ in PJ. The sidewall have torn off because the tyres were completely deflated and was cut by the rim edge pressure. Whether you can claim or not will be determined by Conti service center.
Please send in for check up especially the other 3 pieces, because you need to check the side facing inside too....:listen:
vr2turbo, Yup, Thank God is was the back tyre. I'm currently in communication with Continental tyres already. PIC in Penang division is on-leave & i'll be calling tomorrow again. According to their HQ, they will have someone to check both the damaged & the other 3tyres accordingly. Hopefully the inspection will be done within this week & i'll update on the progress.

Another thing to point out is that my tyres looks kinda dry. I'm no expert but to a lay man's view, it looks the part. There isn't any flakes or dry peels, but just looks dry. Another is when I'm travelling down the highway, the tyre noise is much louder compared to the time when the car much newer. Opinions?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
vr2turbo, Yup, Thank God is was the back tyre. I'm currently in communication with Continental tyres already. PIC in Penang division is on-leave & i'll be calling tomorrow again. According to their HQ, they will have someone to check both the damaged & the other 3tyres accordingly. Hopefully the inspection will be done within this week & i'll update on the progress.

Another thing to point out is that my tyres looks kinda dry. I'm no expert but to a lay man's view, it looks the part. There isn't any flakes or dry peels, but just looks dry. Another is when I'm travelling down the highway, the tyre noise is much louder compared to the time when the car much newer. Opinions?
Dry? Try taking a closer look to see if there are any fine crack lines on the thread pattern area and also the sidewall. If none, try looking at sidewall where the tyres meet the ground. This is because there will be a weight on that area and the sidewall will bulge out slightly. If still no crack lines then should be okay. But best to check the inside part also.
For tyre noise usually due to the wear on the thread pattern. If uneven will be more noisy. From the picture they are the Continental Comfort Contact 5 (CC5) model which are entry level tyres.
Good to hear they are sending someone up from their HQ to look into this....:driver:

josephlauby

Known Member
Apr 10, 2009
Penang
Dry? Try taking a closer look to see if there are any fine crack lines on the thread pattern area and also the sidewall. If none, try looking at sidewall where the tyres meet the ground. This is because there will be a weight on that area and the sidewall will bulge out slightly. If still no crack lines then should be okay. But best to check the inside part also.
For tyre noise usually due to the wear on the thread pattern. If uneven will be more noisy. From the picture they are the Continental Comfort Contact 5 (CC5) model which are entry level tyres.
Good to hear they are sending someone up from their HQ to look into this....:driver:
vr2turbo, I've checked and there isn't any bulges, fine lines or cuts on the outer side of the tyres. Inner side not too sure but I'll be meeting up Continental Tyres Penang division at Kelawai Road Penang tomorrow for a full inspection. They seem to be quite nice ppl & I hope to have successful claim. Will update in return on the progress.

All 4tyres are confirmed Conti Comfort Contact. Wow, I never knew these were entry level types. Better go read up more about tyres then. :biggrin: Thanks.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
vr2turbo, I've checked and there isn't any bulges, fine lines or cuts on the outer side of the tyres. Inner side not too sure but I'll be meeting up Continental Tyres Penang division at Kelawai Road Penang tomorrow for a full inspection. They seem to be quite nice ppl & I hope to have successful claim. Will update in return on the progress.

All 4tyres are confirmed Conti Comfort Contact. Wow, I never knew these were entry level types. Better go read up more about tyres then. :biggrin: Thanks.
Yes, please update us on your claims.

CCC or comfort range are entry level in the sense for durability and every day use.
CPC or premium contact is their mid range for comfort and performance, something in between
CSC or Sports contact are their UHP range for traction and handling

However Conti tyres do have some issues from bulging for their CSC range. Heard issue from CSC3 from PUG 308T owners and even on their new CSC5 from my ex colleague....

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
if they reject your claim tell them u will bring this issue to the press & inform everyone regarding the quality of conti tires.
But if the other 3 have no issues, how?

And on certain forums already bad image.....:listen:

josephlauby

Known Member
Apr 10, 2009
Penang
Yes, please update us on your claims.

CCC or comfort range are entry level in the sense for durability and every day use.
CPC or premium contact is their mid range for comfort and performance, something in between
CSC or Sports contact are their UHP range for traction and handling

However Conti tyres do have some issues from bulging for their CSC range. Heard issue from CSC3 from PUG 308T owners and even on their new CSC5 from my ex colleague....
Thanks for describing on the Conti tyre type. I travel 100-150km every day so i think CCC is fine for me. I'll keep a close eye to the bulging part.

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

if they reject your claim tell them u will bring this issue to the press & inform everyone regarding the quality of conti tires.
Well, hopefully I don't have to get to that part. Appointment confirmed at 12:30 today at Goh Swee Hin Tyre shop Dato Keramat Penang. Fingers crossed:proud:

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

But if the other 3 have no issues, how?

And on certain forums already bad image.....:listen:
I read the same. Goodness, the amount of problems & complains is through the roof.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Thanks for describing on the Conti tyre type. I travel 100-150km every day so i think CCC is fine for me. I'll keep a close eye to the bulging part.

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

Well, hopefully I don't have to get to that part. Appointment confirmed at 12:30 today at Goh Swee Hin Tyre shop Dato Keramat Penang. Fingers crossed:proud:

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

I read the same. Goodness, the amount of problems & complains is through the roof.
If happen to use Conti, get the CPC2 range, so far less complaints. This model is in between so you get comfort and performance that is better then CCC range.

Goh Swee Hin? I thought they are Pirelli distributor. So they trade with other brands too?

Yah! especially the CSC range, already many many complaints. Was surprise my colleague had problems with their latest CSC5 also...:banghead:

dkny

Known Member
Jul 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Big possibility is your tyre running under pressure for period of time, causing the tyre damage.
When tyre under pressure, heat generate more then normal driving.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I respayed my car almost 6 years ago...

Its extra metallic powder 2K metalic oven baked spray with diamond effects.

One angle it looks like blue, another angle it looks like greenish blue....

Am sending to touch up the rear boot lit and bumper soon...

The repainter assured me it will be very close in matching the old paint...

Also it has got watermarks on the front of the car and on the left side of the front door & windscreen.

Overall the paintwork is in almost perfect...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience