Choices of cars to buy?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

RM100k and brand new car. Which one would you choose?

• VW Polo Sedan 1.6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kia Forte 2.0

• Ford Focus Sedan 1.8

• Nissan Sylphy 2.0

• Toyota Vios 1.5

• Chery Eastar 2.0

• Mazda 2 Sedan

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I will pick the Sylphy due to availability of parts over the Kia Forte.

153nM of torque is nothing to shout about on the Polo Sedan, its just a 1.6L N/A mill, there's only so much it can do. 136nM for a Myvi 1.5L, you'll have issues running away from them on the road.
I don't really "run away" from cars one la. They want to go faster just go la. My only issue is those going slower than me. It's bloody hard overtaking with a Myvi 1.3

I'm in the same boat too...

I've viewed all and test drive a few...
Polo Sedan - 1.6 and nothing much inside...you pay for brand and quality...
Focus Sedan - got 1.8? i thought now only 2.0 sport and titanium..Focus 2.0 over RM100k...good car..
Vios - cheap car...but not price..out..
Eastar - ??? its MPV...and China...
Sylphy - Smooth engine and gearbox...not to comfort on highway...tested on Federal Highway..
Elantra - Overprice..overspec (engine)...inside feels cheap..not the 1.8..1.8 good but over RM100k..nappa leather FTW
Almera - same as vios...
Insight - Nice!

My choice down to 2 only..
Inspira 2.0P
Forte 2.0

Spec almost the same..Forte wins with 6 airbag..
However, searching the forum, found Forte got lots of problem while Inspira a bit/lot less..

My money is on Inspira 2.0P...
inspira 2.0 ofcoz..
u cn get comfort ride(tested), nice sport look (even only with chnge rims), power engine (2.0 liter maa same like lancer) good fc (cvt) & low maintainance (local product)

but if u hd more budget, go for ford focus
So right now it's boiled down to just the Lanspira and Sylphy. I've read some of the feedback for the Forte and it's amazing how many problems there are but only seemingly affecting a small group of people.

I'm somewhat biased against Lanspira so I guess my final decision will be the uncle car of the lot. Oh well.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Interestingly though, a lot of people are voting for the VW.

Issit because of the brand?

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
I don't really "run away" from cars one la. They want to go faster just go la. My only issue is those going slower than me. It's bloody hard overtaking with a Myvi 1.3

So right now it's boiled down to just the Lanspira and Sylphy. I've read some of the feedback for the Forte and it's amazing how many problems there are but only seemingly affecting a small group of people.

I'm somewhat biased against Lanspira so I guess my final decision will be the uncle car of the lot. Oh well.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Interestingly though, a lot of people are voting for the VW.

Issit because of the brand?
Very nice uncle car..luxury spec got gps and touchscreen..
Huge rear legroom...seems like better to have chauffeur than drive..

But..only 3 years warranty..

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Very nice uncle car..luxury spec got gps and touchscreen..
Huge rear legroom...seems like better to have chauffeur than drive..

But..only 3 years warranty..
that's 140k i think. The one I'm looking at is the basic model, 114k with 8k rebate.

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
that's 140k i think. The one I'm looking at is the basic model, 114k with 8k rebate.
erm...maybe wrong..
i mean the middle one...misplaced the brochure..

yup middle one, luxury...RM140k i think is the Premium...

Forgot the price...i think RM125k with RM9k discount (Sek 15, Shah Alam)...
Got tinted sumore...:biggrin:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Get the car tinted, so people cant see your face clearly inside :biggrin:

Sylphy is smooth and quite luxurious feeling. And at this price, it is considered cheap and worthy. But with only plenty on the road, you might wana dig deeper for its worth. And btw, Nissan parts aren't cheap.

Maybe if you really go for sylphy, you might install aftermarket impul body kits if budget allows. That doesn't reflect obacan driver :biggrin:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
maybe u need a ride in my altis before making up your mind?
:biggrin:
I hope with that grin of yours you don't offer him a ride on your hot rod after the altis.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Out of your choices, I'd probably go with the Sylphy because:
- It's very comfortable, quiet, and got the best leg room at the rear.
- It seems more luxurious than the rest. It still has the dash wrapped in leather instead of just bare plastics.
- It's also seem reliable/well proven.
- Engine is decent 2ltr but definitely nothing to brag about in terms of performance.
But I agree the exterior shape is nothing to be excited about, very ordinary/bland, so called uncle's car, and the proportion is too tall/not wide enough. Another thing I don't like about this car is the rear brakes is still drum brakes.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
actually the sylphy with impul bodykit doesn't look uncle, looks decent actually

Like a normal looking girl putting in decent effort to dress up and make up.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
erm...maybe wrong..
i mean the middle one...misplaced the brochure..

yup middle one, luxury...RM140k i think is the Premium...

Forgot the price...i think RM125k with RM9k discount (Sek 15, Shah Alam)...
Got tinted sumore...:biggrin:
I never take tints from those salesmen. Most of the time it's some crappy tint anyway, I prefer to do it at my friends place and get a proper HuperOptik 30 tint done with security VKool at the sides. Nice and dark and almost impenetrable. The price you're talking about is the middle range one, a little too much for my budget unfortunately. I'm struggling with the basic range as it is.

Get the car tinted, so people cant see your face clearly inside :biggrin:

Sylphy is smooth and quite luxurious feeling. And at this price, it is considered cheap and worthy. But with only plenty on the road, you might wana dig deeper for its worth. And btw, Nissan parts aren't cheap.

Maybe if you really go for sylphy, you might install aftermarket impul body kits if budget allows. That doesn't reflect obacan driver :biggrin:
Dude, if you look at the choices I've listed out, all are in the "not cheap parts" category except Vios. So no worries la. This is really a concern unless every part is 4-figures or more. Like the GTR35. As for Osan driver, aiya... I openly admit I'm not young. Not as old as vr2turbo, but not young. I'd rather be wafting along in my super comfy car while listening to my tricked out ICE system.

Which Altis is yours? The old gen one or the latest one? Come come let me test test.

I hope with that grin of yours you don't offer him a ride on your hot rod after the altis.
Do you mean this in the literal sense or the figurative sense? I thought he sold off his Neo already

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Bro. kc, don't tease bro. Izso with your Altis.....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

Dude, if you look at the choices I've listed out, all are in the "not cheap parts" category except Vios. So no worries la. This is really a concern unless every part is 4-figures or more. Like the GTR35. As for Osan driver, aiya... I openly admit I'm not young. Not as old as vr2turbo, but not young. I'd rather be wafting along in my super comfy car while listening to my tricked out ICE system.
heh! heh! Yup, old uncle already, but I have 3 rides. One NA that is comfy, one VR that is for power and one SUV. All up to me what to drive....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

My turn to do a "What car is best" thread. I'm looking for :

1. A sedan car with a big boot.
2. Resale value isn't a big deal for me.
3. Performance and comfort are vital.
4. Safety is vital.
5. Budget is 100k give or take.
6. No second hand cars. Recon might consider.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to a few cars but any additions would be welcome as long as they fit the above criteria.

1. VW Polo Sedan 1.6
2. Kia Forte 2.0
3. Ford Focus Sedan 1.8
4. Nissan Sylphy 2.0
5. Toyota Vios 1.5
6. Chery Eastar 2.0

Any owners of the above cars please give feedback? I want to know what's it like to live with your cars in terms of maintenance, NVH, comfort, etc.

The #5 is there because Ixeo declared it to be the best car in KL below RM100k.
The #6 is there because I saw it at a road show and it looked pretty damn impressive. Kit, safety and price, all prettily packaged.
Seen this many times, not only for choosing cars but other things too. Different people, different likes, different dislikes. The more you ask, the more different answers you will get.
I would suggest you go and try out all the cars you have listed, then buy the one most suited to your priorities, and not the car suited to our likes.....:biggrin:
My wife's SUV purchase, actually started out when we were looking for a MPV. With budget, we started with the Alza. Too small and the back door rattles on the test car.
Then we tested the Exora before CFE, Size pretty perfect, but lacks power, middle seats not comfy, back seats too cramp. We in fact tested 3 times including manual and auto.
Then we tested Eastar. This was in a way perfect. Middle seat were comfy and can be adjusted like front seats, therefore rear seat can still seat a 6 footer, but alas the air con system have no blower to the rears...:confused: Test car also had accelerator vibration. Not convinced we tested the car another 2 times the following week, and yet different car still had accelerator vibration.
While deciding 50/50, we then looked at the Chery Tiggo SUV. Front shaped like older CRV and rear like the RAV4 we fell in love with it. Then asked to test both 1.6M and 2.0A the following week, and the rest was history, wife love the 2.0 auto and that is how we got an Auto car in the family.....:rofl:

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
According to the choices listed on your list, I would go for Kia Forte 2.0. Gadgets are real good and looks good too..
Like everyone said, maybe wait for K3, not sure the price. But I still prefer the looks of the Forte over K3.

K5 is much better looking :biggrin: but over budget.

But if there are more choices, I would pick Proton Inspira 1.8, Manual. Since performance and comfort was mentioned.
Lots of aftermarket parts available and spacious. Still below RM100K.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Didn't know Syphilis is cheaper than Altis. :biggrin:

At RM114K u get a 2.0L Sylphy comfort, at RM113K u get a Altis 1.8E with Dual VVT-i.

So, I think can consider Sylphy still not a bad choice. Is nissan anyhow :smile:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Won't be overtaking anything bigger but hey, it's those damn Myvis, Vivas and Kelisas that I want to overtake. Not the bigger cars.
As an owner of a discontinued perodua, this sentence made me proud somehow :proud:

but... I'd trade those peppy acceleration for a mid size & comfortable ride any day

...I do felt very old :smokin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
izso...y not increase your budget abit? then at least u could get a more reliable car....like the new civic?
Neh. I'm not a big Civic fan. In fact I'm not a Honda fan... period. Old Hondas yes.. new ones not so much. The Civics front dash is ridiculously big. Damn space waster. Can't argue with the performance though.

Bro. kc, don't tease bro. Izso with your Altis.....:biggrin:
Now I'm curious. What's so special about his Altis? I have a lady friend who drives back to Seremban daily with her 1.8 Altis with OZ 17" rims. Was a great drive that car, pity she sold it to her father, I wanted it.

Seen this many times, not only for choosing cars but other things too. Different people, different likes, different dislikes. The more you ask, the more different answers you will get.

I would suggest you go and try out all the cars you have listed, then buy the one most suited to your priorities, and not the car suited to our likes.....:biggrin:
Ok so based on your feedback (you're the only one who's actually tested the car other than me) the Eastar is out. But I assume you tested the 2.0 variant and not the 2.5 right? The 2.5 was a failure. Eastar is the most comfortable car in my list. I've pretty much test driven (for a very short distance in some cases) all the cars mentioned and I have mixed feelings about all of them.

The most comfy is the Eastar. The next most comfy and the most spacious is the Sylphy. Sylphy outranks the Eastar in terms of driving but both handling characteristics are horrible. But they are cruisers so cruise is all I'll do in them if I buy them.

The VW is a conti, feels conti and handling, suspension, everything is conti. I like it a lot but space is lacking in the rear since for the same money I can get more from the Kia Forte 2.0. This Kia is a very zippy responsive car but handling is downright scary in corners, but again like the Sylphy it's a cruiser so Polo Sedan wins in terms of handling.

Ford Focus is a wild card, I got lubang to get an older model for less money but at the same time I know this car is probably the most expensive to maintain amongst the lot. I'm a little mixed with this car. It's huge and feels huge when driving it around.

The Vios ultimately is still a 1.5 and my Wira (although heavily modded.. not quite a fair comparison) out performs it and I feel the Wira is slow to some extent. So I prefer not to get a small car like this. Comfy, economical and pretty easy to maintain - sure. Does it make me want to drive it everyday? No.

The day I give in to priorities over my own personal needs will be the day I really become an uncle. Right now I'm compromising because my wife said so. Otherwise screw practicality, I want a RX7 FD. My car has to be something I enjoy driving. I do not enjoy driving the Myvi so I get very easily irritated whenever I'm driving it. With my Wira however I just waft along and let anyone and everyone overtake if they want to. I rarely get agitated. Also another thing is people seem to give way to the Wira more than they do the Myvi. In fact no one gives way to Myvis. Bloody hell so bloody irritating.

Why honda city not include, is about 90k and is fast with paddle shifting
I have a Honda City in the family and I've driven it to Klang, Kajang, Subang, Sungei Long and PJ (in that order) in one day before. I hated driving it. Manual or paddle shift, it's just sluggish. The Vios is more responsive. I don't care about top speed, I want torque and the Vios has more imho. Maybe it's because of those heavy 16" vs the Vios 15".

Didn't know Syphilis is cheaper than Altis. :biggrin:

At RM114K u get a 2.0L Sylphy comfort, at RM113K u get a Altis 1.8E with Dual VVT-i.

So, I think can consider Sylphy still not a bad choice. Is nissan anyhow :smile:
Is the Altis that much cheaper? The Nissan Syphillis has an overtrade of 8k and a family friend is working as a high level manager there so I probably can get a good deal for the Nissan if I wanted it. Toyota isn't really quite that much cheaper.

As an owner of a discontinued perodua, this sentence made me proud somehow :proud:

but... I'd trade those peppy acceleration for a mid size & comfortable ride any day

...I do felt very old :smokin:
Bro, you and I have been around for a long time. We're both old. LOL! :slug:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
VR, so u have the tiggo now? always thought u had the eastar.
Yup, almost took the Eastar, but later went for the Tiggo.....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Ok so based on your feedback (you're the only one who's actually tested the car other than me) the Eastar is out. But I assume you tested the 2.0 variant and not the 2.5 right? The 2.5 was a failure. Eastar is the most comfortable car in my list. I've pretty much test driven (for a very short distance in some cases) all the cars mentioned and I have mixed feelings about all of them.

The most comfy is the Eastar. The next most comfy and the most spacious is the Sylphy. Sylphy outranks the Eastar in terms of driving but both handling characteristics are horrible. But they are cruisers so cruise is all I'll do in them if I buy them.

Yup, When I was looking into this, the Eastar was with the 2.4 (not 2.5) Mitsu 4G94 Single cam engine, but got news that the Ateco 2.0 twin cam will be fitted to it later after the Tiggo. First was the road tax, as 2.4 have to add a few more hundred RM, and after checking the power and torque of the Ateco 2.0 is about the same as the Mitsu 2.4, that is why waited to test it.
One thing is the price is bang for bucks, spacious, leather seats, DVD double din, overhead 9" screen, rear camera and sensor, front sensor, security tint and came with 205/55R16 rims/tyres and was ready to up it to 215/45R17....:biggrin:
Just did not like the air con, only coming from the front dash and under the seat. Under the seat how much air con can you get?:confused: Then the accelerator vibration. 3 test cars also like that:smokin:
But for a family car is pretty good.....

Not old yet, wait quite a few more years.....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

Now I'm curious. What's so special about his Altis? I have a lady friend who drives back to Seremban daily with her 1.8 Altis with OZ 17" rims. Was a great drive that car, pity she sold it to her father, I wanted it.
I let him tell you of his Altis, I just only found out not long ago.....:rolleyes:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Neh. I'm not a big Civic fan. In fact I'm not a Honda fan... period. Old Hondas yes.. new ones not so much. The Civics front dash is ridiculously big. Damn space waster. Can't argue with the performance though.

Should Have sold mine to you last time :rofl:

The VW is a conti, feels conti and handling, suspension, everything is conti. I like it a lot but space is lacking in the rear since for the same money I can get more from the Kia Forte 2.0. This Kia is a very zippy responsive car but handling is downright scary in corners, but again like the Sylphy it's a cruiser so Polo Sedan wins in terms of handling.

Ford Focus is a wild card, I got lubang to get an older model for less money but at the same time I know this car is probably the most expensive to maintain amongst the lot. I'm a little mixed with this car. It's huge and feels huge when driving it around.

The Vios ultimately is still a 1.5 and my Wira (although heavily modded.. not quite a fair comparison) out performs it and I feel the Wira is slow to some extent. So I prefer not to get a small car like this. Comfy, economical and pretty easy to maintain - sure. Does it make me want to drive it everyday? No.

The day I give in to priorities over my own personal needs will be the day I really become an uncle. Right now I'm compromising because my wife said so. Otherwise screw practicality, I want a RX7 FD. My car has to be something I enjoy driving. I do not enjoy driving the Myvi so I get very easily irritated whenever I'm driving it. With my Wira however I just waft along and let anyone and everyone overtake if they want to. I rarely get agitated. Also another thing is people seem to give way to the Wira more than they do the Myvi. In fact no one gives way to Myvis. Bloody hell so bloody irritating.

Everyone hates Myvi when they see them in their rear view mirror :rofl:
Mostly ah bengs with stock myvi but all HID and etcs...Lighted up like a parade car. :rofl:

Wira, mostly we know they are modded nicely :top:

I have a Honda City in the family and I've driven it to Klang, Kajang, Subang, Sungei Long and PJ (in that order) in one day before. I hated driving it. Manual or paddle shift, it's just sluggish. The Vios is more responsive. I don't care about top speed, I want torque and the Vios has more imho. Maybe it's because of those heavy 16" vs the Vios 15".

Is the Altis that much cheaper? The Nissan Syphillis has an overtrade of 8k and a family friend is working as a high level manager there so I probably can get a good deal for the Nissan if I wanted it. Toyota isn't really quite that much cheaper.

If you are looking for a comfy car + enough power for overtaking, I believe is
either the Toyota Altis Dual VVT-i or the Nissan Syphilis 2.0. But Altis will be the 1.8 model.
The 2.0 model cost around RM132K for Toyota Altis, and is newer model compare to Syphilis.

http://www.toyota.com.my/corolla-altis/

I guess just narrow down to these 2 and test drive both to see which one you like bro. Might
also consider including Proton Inspira into the picture? or maybe Proton Preve 1.6 CFE.

:biggrin: :top: :beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

did these decals using normal stickers bought from 'brother's'
first i draw the needed logo in my computer..
then i mirror image the logo...
then print it to the required size at the back of the sticker sheet...
then cut them out patiently...
once its ready...
stick em up...

pls comment

windscreen decal...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience