Car Idling & Die Off All of a Sudden During Heavy Traffic...

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

Just something to share and appreciate if anyone can share or advice on what to do when such
things happen or their experiences in this matter...

1 night, I was driving and got stuck at Sprint Highway Traffic Jam, before the toll.
Just got passed the toll for few minutes, suddenly my car seems like shut off and restart
again in just few seconds.

Well, got a shock of course, 1st time experience such problem. So, since car start back,
I thought nothing is wrong, but realised my left headlamp is not working anymore.

So, just on fog lamp during the jam and off the air cond. Fear for the worse that
my car is gonna stall in the middle of a jam.

So, as what I fear most, it happened, my car suddenly stalled. Car engine everything shut off.
Try the ignition, nothing happen as well. So, already prepared to call friends.

Bentley behind me was flashing at me already. Got down, and told him to cut out..
So left the key on the ignition, open the front bonnet to check.

To my surprise, when I open my front bonnet to check, I find it weird, my engine is running???
:confused:

So, went back to driver seat to check. My car indeed start back again. That's weird and kinda
miracle that it manage to start again. :hmmmm:

Didn't bother, since start already, I get in and continue driving. Fearing that my battery is
the one that is weak. didnt dare to switch on my radio or headlights. Just turn on the mini
bulb lights.

So, what is actually wrong? My car the Clock was reset, radio reset and even the colour of
my speedometer was reset back to white.

I suspect is battery or wiring problem.

Manage to reach my destination for dinner with friends and also went back home without
problems anymore. Just dunno what is wrong with the car.

Till today, nothing is wrong. Check with my dad, he told me the battery already replaced
at one of the famous workshop in Jusco Metro Prima, Kepong

He said, the guy replaced the battery told my dad can use this battery, just the connector
a bit small. Well according to my dad la. I said, best go change to a suitable one.

Without fail, each time my car masuk that workshop at Jusco, Metro Prima Kepong, come out
got problems with car. Like one problem after another...

So, question is, what to check when such thing happen? what is the cause? :adore:

Last edited:

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Maybe newest start stop function...? haha... just messing with u.

1st any engine check light..? modern car can check even the minor sensor faulty with factory scanner tool, try send the car to factory to check for false code store in the ecu. Battery will not cause your car to die off bcos when the engine is running, alternator is charging, after start u can run a car without battery, definitely will not start the engine on its own. Check the main fuse that run the dashboard, maybe it loose n cause all the dashboard cut off power while engine still running.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Maybe newest start stop function...? haha... just messing with u.

1st any engine check light..? modern car can check even the minor sensor faulty with factory scanner tool, try send the car to factory to check for false code store in the ecu. Battery will not cause your car to die off bcos when the engine is running, alternator is charging, after start u can run a car without battery, definitely will not start the engine on its own. Check the main fuse that run the dashboard, maybe it loose n cause all the dashboard cut off power while engine still running.
Haha! if New function then i'm not worried.

No engine check light or anything, all blackout, and when the engine revived back, no error sign
as well.

The engine totally die off as well along with all the lights and etcs. Can say, totally become
a parked car on Gear D :stoned:

I tried to start the car, no responds at all, then I just left the keys on Engine Start position.
Open up the bonnet, suddenly the car is running and everything is back on again, except the
clock was reset and radio channels as well.

Can outside workshop inspect on the matter, cuz before I get them to check, wanna know
what might causes the problem if anyone did experience something like mine.

Can't even turn on the hazard light...

Yes, thought the battery was weak or so, but since my car start back up again, suspect wire
problem or maybe like you said, ECU storing false code...:confused:

headache...

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
If your main fuse to dashboard is cut off, sure everything inside is dead. Ecu n engine run another set of fuse independently. I have a problem with signal light suka suka not turning on, finally solve it by sand down the oxidation on the fuse contact surface n voila, never had the problem anymore.

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
If your main fuse to dashboard is cut off, sure everything inside is dead. Ecu n engine run another set of fuse independently. I have a problem with signal light suka suka not turning on, finally solve it by sand down the oxidation on the fuse contact surface n voila, never had the problem anymore.
In my case, I think the ECU, Engine and dashboard main fuse, all shut off together. Car totally
can't drive. Can't restart the car as well.

So, I guess really have to get the car to workshop to check on those fuse
mentioned earlier, ECU, Engine, and Dashboard main fuse.

Just too scary to be in that situation again, or unacceptable for my car to breakdown :rofl:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
yr car have secret ignition kill switch?
Not sure to say how nice if have or too bad don't have. No benefits having such switch :dontknow:

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
normally cars when engine die off...they wont auto restart cos default ignition position is below engine start position (key start is when u turn to max to run the starter motor and let go when engine started, push button start is before u push the engine start button)

there could be something wrong with the ignition wiring. need to check the wiring n this check should start at the 12V in all the way to ignition key terminals. this should route thru yr ECU which controls everything...if the wiring intermittent there, it explains y the settings reset like cabut battery terminals.

another possibility is power to ecu power intermittent...as i'm sure newer cars have a last state setting for their ECU...something like our PC which remembers if they were off or on before a power outage and resume the previous condition...if the power to the ECU suddenly cuts off...it should kill the whole car n if suddenly gets back power, resume previous condition which is why engine auto restart n reset...

all are assumptions but still need to get it checked. imagine driving n engine die off n power assisted braking gone...u gotta pump n stomp real hard like crazy to stop....

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
normally cars when engine die off...they wont auto restart cos default ignition position is below engine start position (key start is when u turn to max to run the starter motor and let go when engine started, push button start is before u push the engine start button)

there could be something wrong with the ignition wiring. need to check the wiring n this check should start at the 12V in all the way to ignition key terminals. this should route thru yr ECU which controls everything...if the wiring intermittent there, it explains y the settings reset like cabut battery terminals.

another possibility is power to ecu power intermittent...as i'm sure newer cars have a last state setting for their ECU...something like our PC which remembers if they were off or on before a power outage and resume the previous condition...if the power to the ECU suddenly cuts off...it should kill the whole car n if suddenly gets back power, resume previous condition which is why engine auto restart n reset...

all are assumptions but still need to get it checked. imagine driving n engine die off n power assisted braking gone...u gotta pump n stomp real hard like crazy to stop....
Yes, when it die off, I tried starting, turning the key to the max but no responds, so leave the key as it is. Went to open bonnet to check, suddenly car engine is running again but no sound
of car starting at all. Like what we usually hear when we start engine, engine is cranking.

This time engine didnt even crank but it start back again.

About the car suddenly die off while driving, really will happen??? :afraid:
I even drive real fast on that night after the incident believing that once car is start, even if
no battery, it wont die off. Just cant start again if off engine.

You're right, my whole car was totally killed off on that night. But it restarted again. Like
as if human black out awhile...

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If the engine already off, it needs to be cranked to start again. Cannot come to life by itself. Even manual without crank, we still need the engine movement to start it, (eg. push the car with gear to start), unless yours is hybrid......
Sure not dreaming? If cannot find explanation, probably need to transfer this to Hungry Ghost thread.........kakakakakaka

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
If the engine already off, it needs to be cranked to start again. Cannot come to life by itself. Even manual without crank, we still need the engine movement to start it, (eg. push the car with gear to start), unless yours is hybrid......
Sure not dreaming? If cannot find explanation, probably need to transfer this to Hungry Ghost thread.........kakakakakaka
I have no idea how it came back to life bro...

Okay let me explain how it happen from 1st.

1. a few seconds shock for me car die off and came back, then left side headlamp
    no longer working. (like a blink of an eye)
  2. Continue driving, car suddenly totally everything shut down.
  3. Turn the car key to turn off the car, then turn back to the left, trying to start the car again.
    Nothing happen, left the key as it is.
  4. Went down, ask the car behind to cut out, open my car bonnet and was confused to see
    my car engine is running, thought maybe only light's out? can't be as i did try to start the car
    again but fail earlier on before opening the bonnet.
  5. Went back to look at my speedometer to see if everything is on, there everything is on with lights and car is back in running condition. But did not hear the car engine cranking? Or I just didnt hear it at that time...
  6. Shut the bonnet and only switch on the 1st level of my headlamp (mini bulb) afraid that car might die off again.

Indeed is a very weird situation I encounter in my life...:hmmmm:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I have no idea how it came back to life bro...

Okay let me explain how it happen from 1st.

1. a few seconds shock for me car die off and came back, then left side headlamp
    no longer working. (like a blink of an eye)
  2. Continue driving, car suddenly totally everything shut down.
  3. Turn the car key to turn off the car, then turn back to the left, trying to start the car again.
    Nothing happen, left the key as it is.
  4. Went down, ask the car behind to cut out, open my car bonnet and was confused to see
    my car engine is running, thought maybe only light's out? can't be as i did try to start the car
    again but fail earlier on before opening the bonnet.
  5. Went back to look at my speedometer to see if everything is on, there everything is on with lights and car is back in running condition. But did not hear the car engine cranking? Or I just didnt hear it at that time...
  6. Shut the bonnet and only switch on the 1st level of my headlamp (mini bulb) afraid that car might die off again.

Indeed is a very weird situation I encounter in my life...:hmmmm:
1 to 2 like blink of an eye can accept, as car still moving and engine may have started back, but from 3, since you already turn key to off then cannot explain, unless wiring haywire. On is off and off is On???

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
1 to 2 like blink of an eye can accept, as car still moving and engine may have started back, but from 3, since you already turn key to off then cannot explain, unless wiring haywire. On is off and off is On???
Not sure, but after I tried starting the car again, I left the key on car started position. Didnt turn
it off and went down to check by opening the bonnet...about 10 secs before I open the bonnet.
Cuz tried to make phone calls and ask the car to move to next lane...

Well, everyone know how jam it is at SPRINT Highway TOLL...:banghead:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
try checking your alternator bro.......
i guess u know how to do it rite....hehe...or course u do....while terminals are disconnected,
let your engine run a while......if it dies alternator prob lo.....

then switch off yr engine, leave it disconnected for 1-2 mins....then connect it back.....the ECU will reset itself....

P/S: yeah...i was the one in the Bentley....didnt know it was u...y never angkat tangan? hahaa..:driver:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
try checking your alternator bro.......
i guess u know how to do it rite....hehe...or course u do....while terminals are disconnected,
let your engine run a while......if it dies alternator prob lo.....

then switch off yr engine, leave it disconnected for 1-2 mins....then connect it back.....the ECU will reset itself....

P/S: yeah...i was the one in the Bentley....didnt know it was u...y never angkat tangan? hahaa..:driver:
Read some where, say not to remove battery terminals when engine have started. The spike from alternator higher current can harm the ECU?:hmmmm:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Goodyear Malaysia has received the ‘Most Improved Delivery’ award for 2010 from Honda Malaysia. The award is handed out to Honda suppliers in the Original Equipment Tyre Delivery category for models such as the Accord, Civic, City and CR-V with a total of 14 awards handed out for various other categories as well.

The purpose of the awards is to acknowledge the support provided by Goodyear as a supplier...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience