Buying a Citroen ZX.

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
zan said:
i believe you fstrader..i believe you. went for a test drive one on saturday. original colour (metallic gold), 1994 1.9 but CKD model.

the car feels heavy (actually solid he he) but the ride is nice. the car i tested not so smooth as i released clutch, developing jerkiness in low gears... paint is original, with minor scratches, even bumper touch ups can be seen.

interior like new, sony old generation cassette player and CD changer left by owner to atrract sales.

got minor problems like power steering noise, rear brake calipers missing its bleeding nipple (both) and strange noise coming from rear RH suspension. aircond also not cold.

dealer at kuchai lama promised to fix everything for me but what made me refuse to buy is that i can loan only 10,500 at 8% interest over 4 years period. their ad in Motor Trader stated full loan at RM12,800 selling price and upon 1st inquiry i was told intrest would be 6% over 5 years period.

i got upset, and told them to keep the car for 1 more year. he he...that's the price for cheating people like me. i didnt lose anything; they will lose a lot if they keep the car longer. :D
if u wan i got jalan...pm me ur number to get a decent zx bro...

aircooled

Known Member
Jul 9, 2004
some notes n questions

1. about the Rm6K part, may i know which part exactly is that?

2. honestly, i find Citroens very cheap to maintian provided you send it to the correct person. New brake disc - RM260 each, front brake pads original France RM110, oil filter Purflux RM15, used radiator Rm300-400, rear brake pads original France RM70, air filter MANN germany Rm30, Purflux fuel filter RM35, engine mounting RM160, RM40, RM135, Sprak Plug Rm20 original France and above, Original Bougicord plug cable Rm110, Timing Belt GATES brand made in FRANCE kit RM160, SKF water pump RM160, ......the list goes on....prices quoted are approximate only ...from my memory...honestly, i dunno which is the expensive part. I find it to be as cheap as maintianing a Proton Iswara...maybe a little bit higher. i think those who find it expensive have been sedning it to some Mercedes driving mechanic.

3. in Hydraulic Citroens which does not aply to ZXes, there are certain expensive parts, but at the moment there are lots of used parts. if u wana know in detail , do go to a Citroen forum.

4. be very careful when shopping for a used ZX. Why? These cars handle very well and very nice to drive. BUT

4.1 . they are cheap second hand, so a lot of youngsters can afford to buy, but they cannot afford to maintain and yet still drive like mad, hence a lot of poor condition cars running around.

4.2 . Cheapskate people who upgrade to ZX from ridingg kapchai or Perodua Kancil cheap out on maintianence.

4.3 . There are some imitation parts or 2nd grade out there, price is cheaper by 50%...so normally these cheap people will but these parts and you know what happens.

4.4 . another thing to note is the rear axle.....they need periosdic maintainence by removing , checking the arm bearings, greasing, many owners skip this, never do and end up with a permanently damaged axle. Second hand is available RM800 i think.....but damage is mostly due to st00pid and poor people driving ZXes. they just dunno how to maintain it properly..or shoud i say no money.

5. ZXes are very cheap now, but i personally advise to prepare 6-7K CASH to do it up to good standard...if u get a good , well maintained unit, maybe less.

6. parts are cheap...dont have to worry about that.

zx3sgte

Known Member
Jul 18, 2005
Pj
zx rules

bro i own a 95 citroen zx 2.0i volcane........excelent car handling is superb power is awesome(gti's in kl got no scene)
i've beaten modded gti's in drag race and my baby chases any car that passes it on the highway...230 kmh sap sap soi
tell me bro which car in this gods green earth doesnt have problems......it all boils down to maintainance of the machine....i bought mine last year august........RM17k full loan 1 owner. the only worry it gives me is the consumption i only get 50kms for RM10 but this is due to the mods done to the exhaust system..........parts are not that expensive seriously....we ZX owners in malaysia have our own club and online forum......getting parts through them is much cheaper than d.i.y plz feel free to visit us at www.l2tt.net .......nice bunch of guys who would do anything to help another zx owner. gimme a call if u need any help......i'll do all i can to assist you......frankly speaking once u own it u wouldnt regret it..i'm definitely not regretin buying it in fact i'm havin a time of my life drivin it.. ..my no is 019 3893138 Daya

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
thanx a lot to aircooled for worthy advice.
i'l watch out for the axle problem.

to zx3sgte, ur words motivates me even higher...

i found one 94 CBU model, a 1.9 but auto. its going cheap as a private sale (not dealer). about 10K.

is auto ZX ok or does it has similar syndrome with used perdanas?

shahosman

Sep 1, 2005
ipoh
i owned two citroen zx before first is the 1.9 , then the 2.0 volcane, not bad really enough for na engine...., but the best if you could give fully synthetic oil, then take care the thermal fan, . but body especially the bumper really strong....its really worth the money....i m looking for the 16v...really plush and somfortable too.
but before buying ...check properly....see the rpm meter when its idle....,see whether the rpm stable or not.if not that stable just above 2000 or up and down ...dont buy....
then the aircond...make sure there is no leaking or dont feel cold....because the aircond connencts with the radiator fan...then the condenser its abit expensive about 400.then the test drive ...try to take very sharp corner....see does it feels like throwing...to aside...if so it have problem with the stabilizer rod...., then milage laa...no white smoke or black or something.....then seee any signs of leaking at the engine parts or undercarriage.........ehhh contact me at [email protected]....i shall be able to advise u more k

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
so zan, what car you wanna buy now? :)
more and more helpful citroen owner reply your post.

Seabiscuit

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Sometime JB
Visit site
Just to share what have I spent on my '97 ZX2.0i Volcane bought 2 years ago.

-Changed 2 pcs of plastic bearing in between alternator and pwr steering pump. Cracked in the middle of the night. still can drive but no pwr steering assist and have to reach home fast before batt flat. RM70/pc.

-External aircond tubing leak. Workshop welding RM100 incl gas refill.

-Bypass hot aircond RM70.

-Alternator Kong. Replaced recond unit RM290.

-Front brake rotor worn out. Change to Brembo OEM rotor S$80/pc + Grooving RM20/pc

-Change a set of cheapo taiwan "MR-6" 15" RIM + Yokohama 195/50/15 ES100. appox. RM2000

-Throw away the OEM muffle. Replaced with REMUS muffle. RM220 (2nd hand)

-Larger pipping. forgot the diameter. fstrader recommeded workshop RM400+

-Tapau 2004 honda accord 2.0 at traffic light. Priceless.

-Kena tapau by Peugeot 406 also priceless.

-0km/h to 100km/h not so fast.

-120km/h to 180km/h very fast.

-City driving fuel consumption super fast.

-Depreciation super dooper fast.

Last edited:

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Seabiscuit said:
Just to share what have I spent on my '97 ZX2.0i Volcane bought 2 years ago.

-Tapau 2004 honda accord 2.0 at traffic light. Priceless.

-Kena tapau by Peugeot 406 also priceless.

-0km/h to 100km/h not so fast.

-120km/h to 180km/h very fast.

-City driving fuel consumption super fast.

-Depreciation super dooper fast.
hahahaha, Seabiscuit, this is damn funny post.

Seabiscuit

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Sometime JB
Visit site
Haha.. Last time test power with my friend's new accord vtec. A priced less than 20k car can win 140k car. I feel damn 9 lansi like my car's the fastest in the world.

The next day went test power with a stranger's 406. Kena tapao balik!

Zx can go very fast but not the fastest.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Peugeot 406 is featuring in the Movie "Taxi 2", can sapu BMW flat. :D Dun play play.

off topic: Seabiscuit, are you still working in Johor? Where is your bunny suits avatar? :D

Last edited:

Seabiscuit

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Sometime JB
Visit site
haha... Last time got ppl say it is a violation taking pic in the fab. quickly take out lor.

Never work in JB b4 lar. All the while in s'pore.

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
zx kenot win 406 meh?? sure bot bro biskut? ehehehhehehee...

why last time i use can tapau them, but highway la...ekekekekee..:tongue:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Yo guys...

my car 7 years didnt wash the engine, now dirty until like shit... 1 dot 1 dot punya stain liow... <_<
thinking to wash it, but scared will spoil something after wash... :(

anyway, i got list out some few steps to prepare before wash, pls give some comment... :D

1) wrap all those electrical socket.
2) wrap distributor. How about TB? need to wrap also?
3) disconnect the car negative battery terminal. so wont short circuit right? :lol:
4) after wash, let it dry under the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience