Buying a Citroen ZX.

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
Hai all,

need some opinion...

what do u think of Citroen ZX? I am thinking of buying one due to the low prices and demand, but high supply.

talk about the good factors...well its about same size as Satria but it has 129bhp 1.9 EFI engine or 132bhp 2.0 EFI. it was European Car of The Year 1993, good looking, practical with good handling passive rear steering and 4 wheel disc brakes.

I can bear its high fuel consumption..about 25mpg on normal drive (err, actually my company bears the cost)

but i need to know what to look at when buying Citroen ZX. anybody have bad experience owning one? is it worth spending RM10K on a 10 years old car olike this? i prefer the ZX than then Renault 19. As ZX has normal suspension system unlike the BX or Xantia with Hydractive, i believe the maintaining costs will be lower.

I could buy a 30-40K car, my problem is I cant afford the depreciation. Thus, 10K car wont depreciate much after a few years..though it will be much more difficult when re-sell time comes.

please share ur thoughts...as I would be surveying 2 units this weekend. thanxx..

i

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
i was told that 1 of the parts in Citroen need to replace frequently. I dunno the exact name, but I was told the part is meant for balancing, 1 at the front, and the other at the rear. And the price of the original parts cost around RM6K.

Any Citreon owner can verified that?

Last edited:

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
thanx samurai, hait! is the part used for wheel balancing? or some other things? ori item cost 6K?? no wonder ZX is selling cheap like kacang putih.

any other thots?

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
zan,
post your question at the other place, you will get better answer for Citroen.

Citroen thread

My advice is to surf around the thread before you post, later kena fire.
All the best. :)

(will i be band for doing this? :D)

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
already had. thanx... i am trying to get a non-bias general view not from a Citroen user. I had posted at the continental forum to find out about this too.
thanx again.

BlackStealth

May 30, 2005
KL
I would like to share base on my experience owning one before few years ago. I used to drive a 1.9 manual. The car was great in performance n handling. Modified some kits and performance parts but if in terms you want to buy this car to modify is quite hard coz theres not much part to upgrade here in malaysia which is available for ZX so instead my air filters n piping system exhaust all japanese. Even i wan to change the abstractor also cannot find. For fuel consumption is so freaking high like waterfall.... travel 4- 5 days on 20+ km a day also 50 bucks.wtf.... that is after modified. So now the real part.. in maintaining this car...hohoho.... if ur wallet dont explode, your head will!. Kepala pusing!! citroen parts are so expensive.. even not original parts also coz alot... no shit.After that Beh Tahan lo.. knn.. drive tractor like that... but one thing is i love the handling... corner kau kau no problem. But for value for this car.. nothing to say.. most european car value is like that..

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
My relative used to own a Xantia.

Citroen has very unique suspension system. Active Hydralic reservoired suspension.

It cost RM6K++ to fix the damn thing when it was damaged.

Smashed the bumper during parking accident.

Had to wait 2 months for the damn bumper from France.

Bought the car in 1994 for RM110K.

Sold it in 2003 for RM20K.

Citroen = Sit-Tou-Lhong (in Cantonese) = Rugi until Bankrupt.

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
to blackstealth, thanx for sharing experience.

i am not serious in modding. i like my car in standard, but unique. standard 130bhp would do juz fine for me. that is about az much produced by SGTI. he he
n i hope the fuel consumption is bearable without any mods to the powerplant.

to joeker, the smaller citroens are all using conventional suspension system like the Visa, AX aka Tiara, ZX, Xsara even the new C2, C3 and C4.

only those big models enjoy the magic carpet ride beginning with Citroen Pallas, GS, CX, BX, Xantia, XM and now the C5. i dont worry so much about that. thanx for making me worry a bit.

with regard to parts i know one workshop who is presently keeping 4 units of total loss ZX including ekhem the 3dr 16V. all those are wreck, no more value..some damage in front, some at rear...he he boleh mintak saja.

anyway, thanx again for all your opinions... appreciate it! :D

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
my father owns few zx's, even a 2 dr version b4...even my mother drives a zx....only problem is this when its aging..

1) power steering pump leaking. (change/repaired still the same)
2) batt connector always loose. (can diy lar)
3) kuat makan batt, as running on 2 fans..like mercedes.
4) some other internal parts, engine starter.

good points.

1) can widely use peugeot parts.
2) 1.9 version more powerful then the 2.0 version.
3) great torque, can outrun a peugeot 406 and 220 mercedes on a highway on flat surface.
4) top speed of 210km/h on a 1.9 b4 (balik kampung few years back).

if u want to know why i know so much about citroens, thats becos my father use to work at directional malaysia, years back. (citroen sole dealer)

for a more detailed resume about this car, u can pm seabiskut. he has a superfast & superCANTIK ZX.

happy motoring.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
zan, looks like you do did some homework :D
happy shopping. Citreon was one of my selection during earlier day, until I found out that 6K stuff issue :D

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
yeah laa fastrader..now i remember the same XU unit is shared with Peugoet 405 GTX, only fuel system different.

thank god ur family has some experience with the ZX. but sure or not can run 210km/h. that is incredible. high speed stability ok or not? if used 15" alloy will affect performance or not?

urghh...i dont like leaking power steering system..messy. but european cars are known to have engine cooling problems (if not solved by previous owner). i heard try opt for japanese fan motor and relays..more reliable.

the one i targeting now is 94 model ZX..which is imported CBU and not the CKD 2.0. well agree with you the 2.0 does not have so much power compare to the 8V SOHC 1.9. consumption arghhh....i think we all must share own one petrol station laa.. ha ha cost price fuel!! :D

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
zan said:
yeah laa fastrader..now i remember the same XU unit is shared with Peugoet 405 GTX, only fuel system different.

thank god ur family has some experience with the ZX. but sure or not can run 210km/h. that is incredible. high speed stability ok or not? if used 15" alloy will affect performance or not?

urghh...i dont like leaking power steering system..messy. but european cars are known to have engine cooling problems (if not solved by previous owner). i heard try opt for japanese fan motor and relays..more reliable.

the one i targeting now is 94 model ZX..which is imported CBU and not the CKD 2.0. well agree with you the 2.0 does not have so much power compare to the 8V SOHC 1.9. consumption arghhh....i think we all must share own one petrol station laa.. ha ha cost price fuel!! :D

yeah bro i was driving it, already max out at 210kmh..following a benz wit a beemer at the back, using stock 14' rims:D with full load of balik kampung stuffs at the trunk ahahahahhaha...better stability ma ekkekekek!!!

right now my mum has the 2.0 auto with 15'rims, power really kenot match those of 8v sohc 1.9, in terms of pick-up and mid end. i dont remember having any cooling problems from years of using zx's but i dunno about xantias or xm series...definately zx dont have cooling problems, if real heat up also radiator dirty ma..just clean lor.

cbu a very good choice for u bro, even the door closes more solid...ckd one's ah, aiYO PRANgggg...scary sound. hehehehhe

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
i believe you fstrader..i believe you. went for a test drive one on saturday. original colour (metallic gold), 1994 1.9 but CKD model.

the car feels heavy (actually solid he he) but the ride is nice. the car i tested not so smooth as i released clutch, developing jerkiness in low gears... paint is original, with minor scratches, even bumper touch ups can be seen.

interior like new, sony old generation cassette player and CD changer left by owner to atrract sales.

got minor problems like power steering noise, rear brake calipers missing its bleeding nipple (both) and strange noise coming from rear RH suspension. aircond also not cold.

dealer at kuchai lama promised to fix everything for me but what made me refuse to buy is that i can loan only 10,500 at 8% interest over 4 years period. their ad in Motor Trader stated full loan at RM12,800 selling price and upon 1st inquiry i was told intrest would be 6% over 5 years period.

i got upset, and told them to keep the car for 1 more year. he he...that's the price for cheating people like me. i didnt lose anything; they will lose a lot if they keep the car longer. :D

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys I'm currently planning to upgrade the brakes on my persona to mitsubishi twinpot.

So far I have a few questions. .
1. Twinpot from eterna and EVO 3 shares the same caliper (correct me if I'm wrong), what about the rotors?
2. What effects will using rotors with the same diameter but different thickness cause?
3. Can waja's knuckle fit in persona's lower arm and absorber?

Appreciate all the inputs ..:idea:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience