Alternator versus Battery

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
personally im not a fan of removing the terminals to check the voltage. when you do that the voltage will spike, some electronics are very sensitive. Best way is to use a multimeter and get the voltage readings.

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
personally im not a fan of removing the terminals to check the voltage. when you do that the voltage will spike, some electronics are very sensitive. Best way is to use a multimeter and get the voltage readings.
sometimes voltage reading also not accurate.
example my case, the wireman says detected 12.2V only and this is insufficient to support the whole car.
I then started the car + turn on radio + turn on aircond + turn on head lamp, when everything if running I removed the negative terminal, and YET THE ENGINE IS STILL RUNNING !
If the alternator is producing insufficient juice as he said, then the engine should jerk & die off.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

WTA: to check alternator? if we removed one of the terminal battery, as fact car will jerk jerk burp burp the engine died off. is there any testing that newbie can do to check "health" of alternator?
if your alternator can't support the whole car and jerk and died off, I think your alternator is dying

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
sometimes voltage reading also not accurate.
example my case, the wireman says detected 12.2V only and this is insufficient to support the whole car.
I then started the car + turn on radio + turn on aircond + turn on head lamp, when everything if running I removed the negative terminal, and YET THE ENGINE IS STILL RUNNING !
If the alternator is producing insufficient juice as he said, then the engine should jerk & die off.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

if your alternator can't support the whole car and jerk and died off, I think your alternator is dying
Your 12.2v is with engine off right, as you mention then you start the car. If engine off 12.2 is ok but a bit on the low as correct reading is around 12.6. He should check with engine on.
If want to check the charging amp then he need to connect multi meter between removed terminal and battery...:driver:

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
Your 12.2v is with engine off right, as you mention then you start the car. If engine off 12.2 is ok but a bit on the low as correct reading is around 12.6. He should check with engine on.
If want to check the charging amp then he need to connect multi meter between removed terminal and battery...:driver:
When I off my car, it's 12.2V, when I start the engine, it's 12.2V too when the wireman tested. But when I test at home with my own meter, the reading is 13.0-13.3V

charging amp shall check between removed terminal & battery, means the negative terminal & positive at battery ?

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
so far from my experience, the volt readings have never failed me. could it be his meter was faulty? like i said earlier pulling the terminals off and seeing if the car dies off is not the best way. i have had cases the where the engine does not die off but at night when electrical load is high,the battery slowly drains. this is cause the alternator cant cope with the electrical load. numbers are way more accurate then just pulling the terminal off. i have had a customer who towed their ford escape to me cause after replacing battery the guy wanted to test the the alternator and pulled the terminal off.. the car died and refuse to start. further inspection revealed a burnt ecu. who knows what was the exact cause but i would refrain from pulling the terminals of.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
When I off my car, it's 12.2V, when I start the engine, it's 12.2V too when the wireman tested. But when I test at home with my own meter, the reading is 13.0-13.3V

charging amp shall check between removed terminal & battery, means the negative terminal & positive at battery ?
Must be his meter konk already. On and off also same.....lol

For the amp test I do from positive side, but like bro. scoupe mentioned, hook up first then start and test, not remove terminal after start. Make sure Meter + and - joined the right way....:driver:

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
this is cause the alternator cant cope with the electrical load. .
if the alternator can't cope with the electrical load, the engine shall die regardless it's night or day time.
as long as the electronic equipment you turned on exceeded the max output of the alternator, the engine shall die off immediately.

There is a case where alternator output is weak, so it will slowly drain the battery until the battery dies off. But in this case, when you remove the -ve connector, the engine shall die because it can't get the support from the battery anymore.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
if the alternator can't cope with the electrical load, the engine shall die regardless it's night or day time.
as long as the electronic equipment you turned on exceeded the max output of the alternator, the engine shall die off immediately.

There is a case where alternator output is weak, so it will slowly drain the battery until the battery dies off. But in this case, when you remove the -ve connector, the engine shall die because it can't get the support from the battery anymore.
When the terminal is remove and as long as no power coming from the alternator, the engine will die off.

In your second case, means terminal to battery is still hooked on. As long as no power coming from the alternator, the engine will take power from the battery until it is drained then engine also will die off....

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
In any case, use a multimeter. still the best way to diagnose without causing an electrical short. :)

awie5940

Known Member
Jan 6, 2014
Selangor
thank you friends!!
i am have another problems.. i am noobs about car..problems comes when i godek2 the alternator belting because sound of creeeeettt comes out..now ok BUT cold start my 'ayam' apexi pen timer voltage is 10.4..after revving the volt get 13.3v-13.5v. i am trying pulled out the battery terminal, engine steady(aircond on,radio on,headlamp on).

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
thank you friends!!
i am have another problems.. i am noobs about car..problems comes when i godek2 the alternator belting because sound of creeeeettt comes out..now ok BUT cold start my 'ayam' apexi pen timer voltage is 10.4..after revving the volt get 13.3v-13.5v. i am trying pulled out the battery terminal, engine steady(aircond on,radio on,headlamp on).
did you loosen your belt or applied some KY so it can't grip ?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Loosen? should tighten right? Add ky will slip more.....hhahahhaha:rofl:
Look for belt dressing or belt grip. Apply those for better grip....:biggrin:

awie5940

Known Member
Jan 6, 2014
Selangor
tighten the belt my friend. i am using natural lubricate..kahkahkah

Loosen? should tighten right? Add ky will slip more.....hhahahhaha:rofl:
Look for belt dressing or belt grip. Apply those for better grip....:biggrin:
yes brother. tighten the belt. will looking that belt dressing. tq.
in normal cases, is it the belt can self tighten when we revving? OR becoz it was not enough tight?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Revving wont tighten the belt....in fact it will stretch the belt.....and you'll see it flexes.

Please tighten the belt to the correct tension as specified by the manufacturer. Timing belt is designed to flex, but to a tolerable degree.

If the belt slips, the belt could have worn-out or have glazed. The pulley may be stained or dirty.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Ferrari and Lamborghini will always be archrivals as long as they exist in the motoring world, and they had actually engaged in a silent power race between each other for quite some time. For example, when Lamborghini came up with the new Gallardo, it has 560 horsepower in its disposal which not long after that...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience