Alternator versus Battery

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
Hello members,

I have a proton wira made in year 2000, recently the alternator was dead and the mechanic changed a recon alternator for me.
the first alternator failed after 3 months, and he gets a warranty claim for me.
second alternator failed after 1 month, again warranty claim....
i changed 4 recon alternators in 6 months and I am bit tired so I bought a new alternator brand FOCUS. I thought this should be good but it failed after 6 months, luckily the warranty was 1 year so i claimed another new FOCUS alternator.
I then found that my battery was about to die too so I bought a new Yokohama NS70 instead of NS60.

I read in some articles saying that alternator shall produce 13.8 to 14.2V of power, when I measure mine, it produces 13.3V only.
I then start the car, turn on the aircond+radio+headlamp, and unplug the negative terminal of the battery... engine continues to run without dying...

I am wondering the alternator produces 13.3V instead of 13.8-14.2 is it because of the oversized NS70 ?
sometimes my digital clock seems to be a bit dim, sometimes it will come back bright enough...

Anyone has any clue ? Maybe the 2nd new Focus alternator also problem ?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Actually,there is almost no such thing as new alternator from spare part shop.almost 90% are recon or rebuilt.
if not mistaken,wira original alternator is APM.not sure if its for all wira or certain year model.
I have never heard of Focus alternator,maybe just another recon company like VT.
correct me if i am wrong.

Recon part nowadays suck big time and the alternator is one example.
Dont worry abt your battery,if its original then its fine.
What u can do is fond a 2nd hand alternator at chop shop,nowadays its 10 times better than reco part.

on the clock,most old wira have the problem.its the clock itself.
i do suggest u to install grounding cable to imrpove the voltage stability of the electrical system.

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
Actually,there is almost no such thing as new alternator from spare part shop.almost 90% are recon or rebuilt.
if not mistaken,wira original alternator is APM.not sure if its for all wira or certain year model.
I have never heard of Focus alternator,maybe just another recon company like VT.
correct me if i am wrong.

Recon part nowadays suck big time and the alternator is one example.
Dont worry abt your battery,if its original then its fine.
What u can do is fond a 2nd hand alternator at chop shop,nowadays its 10 times better than reco part.

on the clock,most old wira have the problem.its the clock itself.
i do suggest u to install grounding cable to imrpove the voltage stability of the electrical system.
Thanks mate, I thought of 2nd hand from chop shop / kedai potong but i am worried what if the car that sent to chop shop actually using recon parts too ?

now i measure the voltage every day, to make sure the alternator pumps out > 13.3V...

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Wira alternator Izso has experience. He uprated it since he has ICE also.
Do check if you have any voltage leaks, grounding ok or not...
I am just wondering what will happen if original alternator but with NS70 oversized battery

it's something like water pressure, normal hose + normal tank = normal water pressure
but now normal hose + big tank = low water pressure ?

That's why if i put in NS60 battery i would get 14.2V but now i get 13.3V due to the NS70 ? just my guessing lah :)

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
Thanks mate, I thought of 2nd hand from chop shop / kedai potong but i am worried what if the car that sent to chop shop actually using recon parts too ?

now i measure the voltage every day, to make sure the alternator pumps out > 13.3V...

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

I am just wondering what will happen if original alternator but with NS70 oversized battery

it's something like water pressure, normal hose + normal tank = normal water pressure

That's why if i put in NS60 battery i would get 14.2V but now i get 13.3V due to the NS70 ? just my guessing lah :)
my 660 (1996) is using NS60 (instead of usuall NS40) + chop shop stock alternator, coz of ICE the batt can last around 1.5 years & now it's the 2nd batt & almost a year edi but still no prob. when you get your reading, the engine is idle at what r.p.m?? & really wit headlamp on & -ve is not connected, u'r engine is still running.??:confused:. as far as I know wit headlamp is on the engine will die off coz the lamp edi consume most of the wattage produced & cut the support for the spark plug.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

Oh forgot to say.
No, it won't be a problem. Its just a bigger capacity.
Takes longer to fully charge but its the same.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
another way to squeeze more charging-juice out of an alternator is change to a smaller pulley....provide the engine rpm is constant....

One reason why alternator kong faster is heat build-up in the engine bay. Heat is the biggest culprit in shortening the life of components in the engine bay....

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
my 660 (1996) is using NS60 (instead of usuall NS40) + chop shop stock alternator, coz of ICE the batt can last around 1.5 years & now it's the 2nd batt & almost a year edi but still no prob. when you get your reading, the engine is idle at what r.p.m?? & really wit headlamp on & -ve is not connected, u'r engine is still running.??:confused:. as far as I know wit headlamp is on the engine will die off coz the lamp edi consume most of the wattage produced & cut the support for the spark plug.
yes, I turn on the radio and headlamp then unplug the negative terminal.
the engine still running

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka

Most of the time the alternator at chop shop are originsl unit.
hard to tell the different but its possible.recon part are very2 clean buy will got chip and scratch on the body and sign that it has been opened.

i have a faulty recon alternator for a pajerk at home.very2 shiny but can only be used for a month.VT company recon.want to rebuild the ori mitsubishi alternator but dont have the time.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I then found that my battery was about to die too so I bought a new Yokohama NS70 instead of NS60.

I read in some articles saying that alternator shall produce 13.8 to 14.2V of power, when I measure mine, it produces 13.3V only.
I then start the car, turn on the aircond+radio+headlamp, and unplug the negative terminal of the battery... engine continues to run without dying...

I am wondering the alternator produces 13.3V instead of 13.8-14.2 is it because of the oversized NS70 ?
sometimes my digital clock seems to be a bit dim, sometimes it will come back bright enough...

Anyone has any clue ? Maybe the 2nd new Focus alternator also problem ?
Bro. if you have not started your car, the measurement of voltage is from your battery. 13.3v from battery is high, should be 12.6v only.
You should test the voltage after you start the car and that is your alternator voltage and should be around + or -14v.
If you remove any battery terminal + or - after you start the car, the car now runs on the alternator. In fact, after you have started the car the alternator takes over and at the same time charge up the battery for your next crank to start the car.
If the engine dies off when you remove the battery terminal, means you have dead alternator....

As for the clock, when you switch on the car lights it will dim, you off the lights it will brighten up....

Bigger NS70 battery can be used. As bro. SC mentioned just take longer to fully charge up to full.... :driver:

Last edited:

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
Bro. if you have not started your car, the measurement of voltage is from your battery. 13.3v from battery is high, should be 12.6v only.
You should test the voltage after you start the car and that is your alternator voltage and should be around + or -14v.
If you remove any battery terminal + or - after you start the car, the car now runs on the alternator. In fact, after you have started the car the alternator takes over and at the same time charge up the battery for your next crank to start the car.
If the engine dies off when you remove the battery terminal, means you have dead alternator....

As for the clock, when you switch on the car lights it will dim, you off the lights it will brighten up....

Bigger NS70 battery can be used. As bro. SC mentioned just take longer to fully charge up to full.... :driver:
so in my case if I turn on the headlamp while the +ve terminal is not connected, means that by any chance that my alternator goin to die soon :confused:

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
so in my case if I turn on the headlamp while the +ve terminal is not connected, means that by any chance that my alternator goin to die soon :confused:
Doesn't mean your alternator is dying, it could be pumping out insufficient power or maybe due to the old wire... maybe your alternator pumps out 13.8V but when it reaches the -ve terminal you have 12.4V left. so if you turn on the headlamp, 12.4V might be insufficient then engine die off

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

I think I did not describe it clearly.

When my engine is off, i measured the battery, it's 12.8V,
Then I start the engine & measure, it's 13.3V.
Then I turn on the headlamp + radio and measure, it's 13.09V
Then I unplug the -ve terminal while the engine is still running, the engine WON'T die off, still running... headlamp & radio still operating like normal

As I know, alternator shall produce 13.8V-14.2V, but mine when I measure, it's between 13.09V-13.3V... that's why I am asking is it due to the oversized NS70 battery

slipar

500 RPM
Apr 29, 2006
banting - pj
Doesn't mean your alternator is dying, it could be pumping out insufficient power or maybe due to the old wire... maybe your alternator pumps out 13.8V but when it reaches the -ve terminal you have 12.4V left. so if you turn on the headlamp, 12.4V might be insufficient then engine die off

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

Then I unplug the -ve terminal while the engine is still running, the engine WON'T die off, still running... headlamp & radio still operating like normal

As I know, alternator shall produce 13.8V-14.2V, but mine when I measure, it's between 13.09V-13.3V... that's why I am asking is it due to the oversized NS70 battery
im using ns70 also..just change about 2 weeks ago..before this also ns70..so dont really know diff between ns60..
so here my answer according to my car only..
1- When my engine is off, i measured the battery, it's 12.8V,
- yes this is normal volt..got circuit load..if disconnect terminal volt diff..last time my batt die on me the volt only 11.3V..could not crank anymore..

2- Then I start the engine & measure, it's 13.3V.
- yes this is normal also..like sf said take time to charge bigger batt..the volt just hover around 13~13.6V..

3- Then I turn on the headlamp + radio and measure, it's 13.09V
- for sure volt drop..headlight bulb got big watt..load is increase here..

4- Then I unplug the -ve terminal while the engine is still running, the engine WON'T die off, still running... headlamp & radio still operating like normal
- yes its going to operate like normal..alternator doing its job now..i also changing batt without turn off engine..to avoid alarm turn on..

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Probably the ampere from the alternator not enough to support your headlights and engine at the same time.

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

Then it is normal. Bigger battery only takes longer to charge up. But once charged up, the system will be back to normal....

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

im using ns70 also..just change about 2 weeks ago..before this also ns70..so dont really know diff between ns60..

4- Then I unplug the -ve terminal while the engine is still running, the engine WON'T die off, still running... headlamp & radio still operating like normal
- yes its going to operate like normal..alternator doing its job now..i also changing batt without turn off engine..to avoid alarm turn on..
NS60 is smaller in size and capacity is 45AH. NS70 is 65AH.

Don't do too often. Removing the battery terminal when engine is running can send electrical spikes to your ECU and fry it up...Some reading here.....

Your battery does more than just provide electricity. It also shorts AC, spikes and transients to ground. Removing the battery from the circuit allows those spikes and transients to travel around, endangering every semiconductor circuit in your car. The ECU, the speed sensitive steering, the memory seat adjustments, the cruise control, and even the car's stereo.

Even if your computers and stereo remain intact, in a great many cases removing the battery burns out the diodes in the alternator, necessitating a new alternator. If disconnecting the battery interferes with the voltage regulator's control voltage input, it's possible for the alternator voltage to go way over the top (I've heard some say hundreds of volts), frying everything.

Even the initial premise was wrong. If you disconnect the battery and the car conks out, you don't know if it conked out due to insufficient alternator current, or whether the resulting transients caused your ECU (the car's computer, which controls fuel mixture, timing, and much more) to spit out bad data, shutting down the car.

Nobody should EVER run your engine without a battery.

slipar

500 RPM
Apr 29, 2006
banting - pj
NS60 is smaller in size and capacity is 45AH. NS70 is 65AH.

Don't do too often. Removing the battery terminal when engine is running can send electrical spikes to your ECU and fry it up...Some reading here.....

Your battery does more than just provide electricity. It also shorts AC, spikes and transients to ground. Removing the battery from the circuit allows those spikes and transients to travel around, endangering every semiconductor circuit in your car. The ECU, the speed sensitive steering, the memory seat adjustments, the cruise control, and even the car's stereo.

Even if your computers and stereo remain intact, in a great many cases removing the battery burns out the diodes in the alternator, necessitating a new alternator. If disconnecting the battery interferes with the voltage regulator's control voltage input, it's possible for the alternator voltage to go way over the top (I've heard some say hundreds of volts), frying everything.

Even the initial premise was wrong. If you disconnect the battery and the car conks out, you don't know if it conked out due to insufficient alternator current, or whether the resulting transients caused your ECU (the car's computer, which controls fuel mixture, timing, and much more) to spit out bad data, shutting down the car.

Nobody should EVER run your engine without a battery.
just to change batt only..not more than just 30sec..hehe..good info btw bro vr2

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear Sifus,

I had problem with my car paint. hope somebody can help me to solve my paint issue. it has some serious pitting issues that seriously made the car looks not appealing. what should i do?

Should i just wet sand the entire car to smoothens the surface of the painting.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience