Add a PC in your car. (wifi,bluetooth,dvd)

icecube

500 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
I think some of you have already installed a pc in your rides. But i really need some idea as i got a spare old pc laying around and hope i could run it in my kenari and probably add in a 14" LCD and run Wifi or watch DVD .
Its an old P3 600mhz with 256mb ram,onboard sound (creative) and agp card with tv-out.
The board is smaller then mATX .

The main thing is LOW COST DIY.

So, the problem would only be the expensive LCD monitor and how to mount it. Any one have an idea on how or where i should mount it ?

I know the in-car 7" LCD are easier to use and easier to mount but i wanted to use the pc for online purpose (wifi nearby cofffee bean) :D so 14" LCD is a must i guess.

Another problem would be the power supply. I think i need a sort of inverter from 12v to 240v AC . I saw one for sale at Low yat plaza for RM120 (a 150w) probably that would work with the pc i am using?

So, my setup would basicly consist of the following,

1. Pentium 3 600mhz.
2. Small Pentium3 motherboard with sound & Lan.
3. Wifi adapter on Usb.
4. 10GB hdd.
5. 200w power supply.
6. 14" LCD monitor.

Will add in a DVD rom later on when everything is working nicely.

Maybe some pro can share some more information which i am missing out before getting my head wet ??

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Make sure u get a small ATX PSU (below 150W) for the PC and another inverter for the LCD monitor (optional, if it can accept 12V DC).

jaywat

1,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
Power is one thing, better tap from constant 12v, else when u switch off the car key, everything gone.

Have to consider where u put ur PC components also; harddisk, mainboard, power supply and etc. Then u have to run the IDE cable/power cable all the way from the CPU. If not mistaken, the IDE cable in meter is selling for RM20+? i'm not sure.

PC cdrom is not anti shock, and harddisk is fragile. U need something (sponge maybe) to absorb the shock. Else harddisk is crashed easily and vcd also always hang.

Build a few ventilation fans on top of the cpu, else the cpu suffers from overheating when parking until hot sun.

I think that 's all about it, things need to take note.

LilKeV84

Known Member
Feb 7, 2005
Subang Jaya
Visit site
if u want low cost, then dun follow my idea, but this is my plan for my car

gonna order online for a 1 din comp case with a mini-itx board from Via. This comp is max 1 Ghz. Gonna use it as a comp and also a programmable head unit for my ICE.

normal comp eats bout 20 - 50 sumtimes 80w on idle(don't wanna think full load...)
this comp is actually very low on consumption, bout 5w on idle.(if i'm not mistaken...can't remember)

for the monitor, better get a 7" Monitor...not TV(monitor supports higher reso compared to tv), preferably with touchscreen.

i know this sounds quite highly priced for a in car comp...i calculated about max 3-4k with touchscreen monitor. :p but...i feel its worth...hehe

anyway...those who wants more info on this can contact me. I'll share what i can :)

for your case...just make sure u don't run ur pc too high load...then it should be fine...then it will be the problem of mounting it. 7" is quite okay for a monitor...but u must get a monitor if possible...7" tv is just too low reso and will result in very blocky or blurry text. But if u wanna just watch videos...7" tv is fine =)

icecube

500 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
thanks for all the input guys!

acbc,
You mean add 2 inverter in 1 car? Wouldnt that draw too much power from the standard car battery ? I was thinking of sharing one inverter for both the pc and lcd. As i read from somewhere the LCD are only taking up less then 30w if not mistaken. And i am looking for a small psu too, a normal rated 400w psu are actually running at 200w max (info from many computer shops).

Jaywat,
As my car are quite cramped with all my audio setup (3 amp,1 electronic crossover,a 12" sub) so adding in another battery to my car is quite impposible (if that what u mean by tapping onto something more constant for the 12v. Probably will have to remember to "shut down" the pc before shutting down the engine. :D

The layout of the pc is quite simple. The motherboard will be mounted on superlon (YES!) and also the harddisk will be wrapped or a layer underneath with superlon (another YES!)... and the harddisk will sit nicely on the useless ISA slot and one of the pci slot.
In that case, i dont really need a long ide cable but a really short one. :D

About the ventilation, yea was thinking it could cause overheat problem or so if running for a long period like 3 hours (if travel long distance) so a good small casing would really improve the small DIY. Thanks for all the small details!

LilKeV84,
Yea! I heard about the mini-ITX and its a dream for car pc. But i dont wanna waste too much money on this DIY. About the 7" touch screen LCD, i heard its cost around RM1,300 to RM1,500 depend on quality. If you really need to source out that particular item, let me know, i have a friend who can get it for you. I've seen his mini pc with that 7" touch screen and i am really speachless.
About the power comsumption, I still havent research out how much my lausy Pentium 3 600mhz gonna cost. I'll see what else i can come up with...

Anyone else have something to add or share? :D

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Sharing inverter is NOT recommended. It will blow a fuse or overheats.

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Alternatively, buy a used laptop - don't need the LCD screen, just make sure the base is working fine.

LilKeV84

Known Member
Feb 7, 2005
Subang Jaya
Visit site
mini pc? using the mini-itx board or what?
if he knows where to get it and the 1 din case(the 1 i found is from casetronics) let me know
=)
import damn expensive leh...
the touchscreen 1300 -1500 what brand?

LilKeV84

Known Member
Feb 7, 2005
Subang Jaya
Visit site
acbc,
actually good idea...buy the laptop...take the lcd away...install ur lcd(7" or 14" wif inverter)...then connect the lcd onto the back monitor connector of the laptop
not a bad idea =P

when choosing inverter...look at the efficiency. the higher percentage the better...at least u know the power converted wun go to waste into heat, putting strain to ur alternator/battery.

oh...1 more thing about putting a computer into ur car. make sure that if possible connect sum kinda voltage stabilizer to it...coz the spikes can kill ur pc/laptop.

jaywat

1,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
jiggly_head said:
and last but not least. pray that your car doesnt get broken into, ending up in lost goodies.
Must hide the lcd screen everytime u leave ur car lo...and don;t make the panel too high profile..

icecube

500 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Laptop is definately out of the question. Just want to use stuff that i already had with me. Rather then letting it collecting dust.

i saw the inverter at a computer shop nearby prymid. Its a 175W and it stated constant at 60w ...... does that mean it running 60w MAX if my pc load full ? I dont think that would be enough..... and a 500w would cost more then RM400 each!
sigh... :(

icecube

500 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
ierulink said:
I think no need to order only one unit from oversea.. If u purchase them in bulk, it's ok. why not try take a look at Advantech Control (M) Sdn Bhd. They offer a wide range of specialized computers, eg. industrial mini computer and others. http://www.advantech.com/products/Model_Detail.asp?model_id=1-TQVN8&BU=ACG&PD=
too expensive. my DIY is to use the material that i have now. Dont want to waste money buying new stuff.

Okie, i came accross a 400W max rated inverter (150W constant) ... so i think it would be sufficent for my setup ?
Still deciding between 17" LCD or a 14" LCD. Like someone mention earlier, if the LCD is not bright enough, during daylight it would be hard to view...

jaywat

1,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
I think 17 inches is too big for ur car already lar...maybe 15 or 14 ler...