Used car below RM45k

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
First gen Vios is a solid car.

You choose the G spec, you'll get twin airbags, ABS, EBD, a zippy 1.5L engine, a reliable 4 speed automatic gearbox, with a decent sized boot.

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006
Does the standard Jazz have the same spark plug location as the hybrid? Cuz the stupid hybrid one has the spark plugs back facing the firewall so it's practically unreacheable unless you lower the engine.

And the Wira is pretty much the same thing, engine mounting and robust engine. But gotta give the Jazz the build quality win though, after 5 years most if not all Wiras have rust issues, worn rubber door seals, worn weather seals (boot aquarium), and all those "fun" stuff.
yes bro. those spark plugs are located facing the firewall at about 45 deg angle but the first gen jazz gotta better clearance to go at it. as for the new hybrid, they are tight as hell and need to open up the wiper assembly part. as i am also DIY guy @ noob mechanic it will take some time to get the tool positioning right but definitely can be done.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
First gen Vios is a solid car.

You choose the G spec, you'll get twin airbags, ABS, EBD, a zippy 1.5L engine, a reliable 4 speed automatic gearbox, with a decent sized boot.
I'd be surprised if he can find a good condition 1st gen Gspec Vios. They still retail anywhere between 45 to 50k which is kinda ridiculous since most are 9 years old thereabouts. Agree with you on the solid though.

yes bro. those spark plugs are located facing the firewall at about 45 deg angle but the first gen jazz gotta better clearance to go at it. as for the new hybrid, they are tight as hell and need to open up the wiper assembly part. as i am also DIY guy @ noob mechanic it will take some time to get the tool positioning right but definitely can be done.
Friend has a Hybrid and he's cursed non-stop about the position of the plugs. He can't remove even with flexi joints! Don't know about the wiper assembly though. But that's even more insane than my Sylphy - remove manifold and coolant to access plugs. Yours is remove wiper to access plugs. :biggrin:

Wonder if there's a "remove exhaust to access plugs" car?

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
I'd be surprised if he can find a good condition 1st gen Gspec Vios. They still retail anywhere between 45 to 50k which is kinda ridiculous since most are 9 years old thereabouts. Agree with you on the solid though.
If OP can drive manual, the Fiesta 1.4M is a good bet...

TheDuckster

Known Member
Jun 18, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
forum.lowyat.net
Oh your dad allow small in size but don't care whatever the capacity....hahahha:biggrin:

I allow my kids to drive MT only....direct opposite.....:driver::biggrin:
I want to switch places with ur son :itsme:

If you intend to ferry people around, I would say forget about Satria Neo even though is potential with lots of parts to mod in future.
Then If you really looking for a small car and within that budget, you can get the new Myvi which would be around that price. Not the 1.5L ones but the 1.3L ones and is just slightly higher than your budget for used cars.

At least is new, you wont get blame or anything even if it breaks down like some said u can blame the manufacturer but dad will not blame u for picking that car like what u r gonna do on used cars. Myvi got lots of aftermarket parts even though lots of them hate it.
Even can consider K3VET in future as is gonna be fast enough for a Myvi or too fast. :biggrin:

If it really has to be used car, the only reliable one I see with good FC is the 1st Gen Toyota Vios. Friend have one and it is 10 years old but no headache at all within these 10 years. Serve him well and even make him think twice whether to sell off for and change a new car just for a change not because got problems. Aftermarket parts available as well.

Is either a used Toyota Vios 1.5L (1st Gen) or the New 1.3L Myvi.
Used car, I am pretty anti-P1 and anti-P2 for reliability concerns. Imagine the scolding i will get if i get blamed for new car problems :banghead: warranty for new car vs modding ability for used cars...hard to choose :confused:
and if he choose, confirm new saga/myvi, the two i'm trying to avoid for 18 years. :thefinger:
and Wira no parking sensor. I know it's cheap, but I dun wan to be just another fish swimming in the sea. I will need a bit stock power, like 120 hp i-VTEC (of coz not that, but somewhere close :biggrin:)

You can never compare a used car with a new car at the same price. If you buy new, at least you are warranted for 3-5 years and you pay 46k. If you buy a used car at 46k, you might need to fork out more for repair and maintenance. At 46k, decent used cars are mostly over 5 years old so wear and tear are there even though its the indestructible Toyota Hilux.

If you are going to get a used car, try getting one which is below 40k. At least you have 6k standby for vital part repairs. Plus, if you fond to drive a manual over auto, insist that you want a manual and give good reasons to you dad like you can keep you manual driving skills, lower maintenance, safer drive when going downhill, better fuel consumption, bla bla bla...show him that you know something and I believe he will agree, unless he doesnt know how to drive a manual.
The one below 40k is only Satria Neo...or should i consider persuading him to top up and get Honda City or Honda Jazz i-VTEC? 110+10hp :rofl:

Your wifey heavy footed and your straight flow exhaust problem laa... hahahahhahaahahah

duckster : Actually, my take on the Honda Jazz is maintenance is going to be very very costly. If I were you, I'd talk to your father about a Wira auto sedan. If you can get a good condition one, it's very easy to maintain (DIY) and very cheap. Nothing is cheaper than the Wira to maintain, even the Kancil no fight.

In terms of safety the Wira isn't as safe as the cars you mentioned, but in terms of potential, the Wira is king! My old Wira was 10 years old but had better FC than any of my cars (auto) and had plenty of mod potential. FC was 13km/L to 15km/L and I did all of the maintenance myself, kept costs very low.

The other thing about the Wira is if you have any accidents, minor or major, it's not an "expensive" car to begin with so it won't be heart ache to damage compared to your more expensive options.

But personally, if I had to choose only just between those you listed and not be allowed to look at anything else, I'd go for the Swift. Easiest to maintain, low maintenance, cheaper to maintain than Honda, good FC, nice and zippy to drive around town, all interior panels are connected using mostly clips, hardly any screws (easy to remove) and the safety rating for that car is quite good too. Lastly, it's cheaper than any of those you listed.

The Neo is a nice car, but as an auto, it's quite sluggish, slow and FC is terrible. I personally think the Jazz and Yaris are lady cars, not meant for men (hehehe) and can forget conti brands.

Btw, do you have your license already? Manual or auto? Or both? Manual cars are not hard to live with and have loads more modding potential, but as a everyday city driving car (during traffic jams) it can be tiring to drive. I'm going to start by saying consider getting an auto first. Once you understand the fundamentals of your car then only consider a gearbox transplant.
Bro, current test only allow manuals... but my dad wants me to drive auto. :banghead: he's taking away my youthhood.
And Jazz and Yaris has proven mods... Sprintex supercharger has ready-made kit for Jazz and Yaris has Blitz supercharger kit (3-stage on-the-go variable pulley system :eek:). I personally dont care whether it's ladies' car or not; they can laugh all they want when i burnout in their face :burnout: :rofl:

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
Bro, current test only allow manuals... but my dad wants me to drive auto. :banghead: he's taking away my youthhood.
And Jazz and Yaris has proven mods... Sprintex supercharger has ready-made kit for Jazz and Yaris has Blitz supercharger kit (3-stage on-the-go variable pulley system :eek:). I personally dont care whether it's ladies' car or not; they can laugh all they want when i burnout in their face :burnout: :rofl:
Burnout aside, make sure you can handle that amount of power.

you're just 19, and (to me), supercharger/turbocharger isn't a wise idea. Sure you can get the car first, learn about it, drive it hard (on the tracks please!) and know its limits.

Then only talk about performance..

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Lots of choices indeed. Since also controlled by dad and afraid that dad might blame him for choosing a lemon. I think the dad should be the one to choose then he wont get the blame.

Get son to choose the car he likes but if anything happen, he is the one to blame. What a good idea. :banghead:

For me, used cars are expected to have at least some wear and tear. There is no perfect 2nd hand car.
Just don't get one with major problems is good enough. Also putting aside at least RM3K aside as extra when buying used car is necessary. At least won't get stucked with the car not drivable due to problems. (depending on what car)
Don't say used car, even a car that is owned for years by own family also got wear and tear. Cannot avoid it, must need $ for maintenance unlike electronics stuff.

Ya ya, agree. Best dad haahha.
Your dad got like that?

Izso:

ABS and SRS Airbags which is a must. (wira dont have)
Parking sensors also is a must. (wira not sure got or not)
Stock handling. Terrible understeer, weak brakes and body roll: 100% Unacceptable or a No No (wira good :top:)

I dunno which stock car to recommend liao with such criteria at RM46K below :rofl:

So need RWD which are not meant to understeer :biggrin:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, TS, since u plan to mod the car, weak brakes and body roll can always mod later.
Mine don't have ABS, SRS Airbag and parking sensors. :biggrin:

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006

you're just 19, and (to me), supercharger/turbocharger isn't a wise idea. Sure you can get the car first, learn about it, drive it hard (on the tracks please!) and know its limits.

jgn la demoralize him bro. but i gotta agree with u.
for the time being, as 19 yo like u should concentrate on the core. car only for transportation.

soon after u could pay ur own roadtax/insurance.. u can think about it.

p/s: i was once a 19 yo with lotsa things in my mind without lotsa money to do to a car :smokin:

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
for the time being, as 19 yo like u should concentrate on the core. car only for transportation.

p/s: i was once a 19 yo with lotsa things in my mind without lotsa money to do to a car :smokin:
Let him learn his car first. Give him some time, familiarize himself first.

Dont forget maintenance too!

TheDuckster

Known Member
Jun 18, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
forum.lowyat.net
No Protons then.

No Myvi then.

No Korean cars, poor aftermarket support here.

Comfort subjective lah. Your butt cheeks might be harder than mine.

Most cars have parking sensors.
Good anti-theft feature? Only Mercedes have laser cut keys. Everything else can be stolen. Volvos nobody would steal even if you left the keys in, Tiara and Savvy also nobody wants to steal.

Perodua got cheap half cut parts, Toyota & Honda too. Suzuki and Nissan parts going to be relatively costlier. Korean expensive.

Might as well buy a Vios? Why this?

Expensive to buy.

Expensive to maintain.

Too old IMO.

Proton and build quality doesn't go in the same sentence.

Parts going to be expensive cause this car not officially sold here. E.g. bumper, headlamps. That engine also not available here.

Good car, good choice, full featured. Spare parts expensive, but out of this lot I'll choose this. 2009, relatively new.

Too old.

Get a mechanic you trust, ask him to check the car for you. It is best if you can get a mechanic who i knowledgeable about the car you intend to buy. E.g. workshop that always fix Suzuki Swift will know what are the common problems and what to spot.

Finally

You want Good, Cheap with Build Quality, it doesn't exist. You can choose 2 out of these 3 criteria. A Proton Saga is good and cheap, but no build quality. It handles well in its class, 1.6L got sufficient power in its class.
the people in lowyat mostly voted for Suzuki Swift as well. i have divided views here and there. Only similarity i can find is-
1. a lot recommend Swift, and Satria neo
2. aiyo, i dun wan saga or persona. I got a friend mechanic, and if i get that, considering how they treat people during service, i will be learning zilch man. and my dad will scold more if new car problem, hanya tau guna mulut makan saya saja :banghead:

:biggrin:

so it's obvious everyone is divided in their opinion. Everything is relative. I'm obviously obsessed with the Wira because of my long history with 2 which I maintained myself after warranty.

es2611 : Bro, you gotta remember this kid is a 19 year old who doesn't have any income, except perhaps his allowance. So comparing the Jazz with the Wira, Wira wins hands down in low cost la. Everything about the Wira is cheap, including build quality, but that's the thing - everythings cheap so it's easy to replace to become new.

supfan : Where'd you get all those requirements from? Airbags are available in some models of the Wira SE 1st gen car. Can mod the Satria GTI steering with Airbag into the Wira. Parking sensors, every car in the market now has except for the barebones Kelisa and Kancil la. And like what cvkit said - if you need sensors for those cars, you really shouldn't be driving a car. ABS can be retrofitted in the Wira too, again - from the Satria GTI. Stock handling - what car within that price range has good handling and zero bodyroll la? That's just an unreasonable requirement. But Wira easily resolved with suspension upgrades or stock suspension with 19mm rear ARB and 23mm front ARB (which is cheaper than changing suspension).

So again - Wira :P Hands down win.
Wira considered too big for him. Proton suprimak he oso say too big, wira sure kena as well. HE wan me sit Myvi-size.

If OP can drive manual, the Fiesta 1.4M is a good bet...
I can drive manual, of coz. But respect dad first, he want me drive auto :bawling:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
True.. but dude - those kits cost 5-figures. I'm sorry but at your age and not earning money with restrictive parents, I doubt you'll be getting those kits anytime soon.

Aiya. Whatever you consider has pros and cons la. Ultimately you should go test drive yourself and decide.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

You've got a point. Talking about bolt on superchargers and burnouts. Forced induction engine are not as easy to maintain as NA engines. FC is probably higher too. About burnouts, tyres ain't cheap and tyre thread is important. You don't want to go around fast in a near bald tyre.

Previously, probably like last year or so I always have crazy ideas about having various powerful mods on car. Now after I have a car to use, I begin to notice and realize the amount of money needed to pay for normal maintenance like engine oil, tyres, spark plugs and so on. From these, I know that even with stock engines and stuff, things like these don't really come cheap especially if you are not working full time with proper income. At least all these helped me to think more rationally next time if I wanted to change car or mod my car. I'll look into the pros and cons of what each mod will do to the car first.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

True.. but dude - those kits cost 5-figures. I'm sorry but at your age and not earning money with restrictive parents, I doubt you'll be getting those kits anytime soon.

Aiya. Whatever you consider has pros and cons la. Ultimately you should go test drive yourself and decide.
Engine internals like piston and con rod might need to be strengthened for forced induction mod. If it is not done the proper way, I think there will be a risk of blowing the engine which costs even more money to repair...

TheDuckster

Known Member
Jun 18, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
forum.lowyat.net

ya, which is why i only want to improve handling first if i mod. I will get used to the car for 2 years before mod for power. As far as i know, Swift and Jazz has good stock handling.

if i earn enough thru direct sales, i will tell him that i can pay roadtax and insurance myself...and then power modding, here i come :burnout:

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

dun worry, i earn a lot thru part-time jobs. and i remember that Jazz sprintex w/ piggyback ecu was RM6k, no? someone on lowyat gave that price, now i cant find that thread back.

You've got a point. Talking about bolt on superchargers and burnouts. Forced induction engine are not as easy to maintain as NA engines. FC is probably higher too. About burnouts, tyres ain't cheap and tyre thread is important. You don't want to go around fast in a near bald tyre.

Previously, probably like last year or so I always have crazy ideas about having various powerful mods on car. Now after I have a car to use, I begin to notice and realize the amount of money needed to pay for normal maintenance like engine oil, tyres, spark plugs and so on. From these, I know that even with stock engines and stuff, things like these don't really come cheap especially if you are not working full time with proper income. At least all these helped me to think more rationally next time if I wanted to change car or mod my car. I'll look into the pros and cons of what each mod will do to the car first.

Engine internals like piston and con rod might need to be strengthened for forced induction mod. If it is not done the proper way, I think there will be a risk of blowing the engine which costs even more money to repair...
i know, which is why i planning to mod handling only for now. power won't be necessary as long as stock hp is enough for me to go somewhere within time limit.
and as far as i know, for forced induction, you need intercooler to decrease temperature to reduce/eliminate detonation and lower compression ratio/forged piston only, no? :hmmmm2:
anyway, i planning those like blitz variable supercharger on Yaris anyway (off, lo, med, hi), i love my fc. :p

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
ya, which is why i only want to improve handling first if i mod. I will get used to the car for 2 years before mod for power. As far as i know, Swift and Jazz has good stock handling.
The local Jazz 1.5 is a CVT gearbox right? It's a killjoy.

In that case then the Swift is a good choice. Just be wary of what mods work, and what wont.

:biggrin:

All the best to you!

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
the people in lowyat mostly voted for Suzuki Swift as well. i have divided views here and there. Only similarity i can find is-
1. a lot recommend Swift, and Satria neo
2. aiyo, i dun wan saga or persona. I got a friend mechanic, and if i get that, considering how they treat people during service, i will be learning zilch man. and my dad will scold more if new car problem, hanya tau guna mulut makan saya saja :banghead:

Wira considered too big for him. Proton suprimak he oso say too big, wira sure kena as well. HE wan me sit Myvi-size.

I can drive manual, of coz. But respect dad first, he want me drive auto :bawling:
Because Suzuki Swift meets YOUR requirements. Proton Satria Neo has no build quality, as with all Proton.

Oh, stock Suzuki Swift will not outgun a stock Myvi 1.5L. In fact it might tapao the Swift in straight line. Not very swift the Swift.

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
Because Suzuki Swift meets YOUR requirements. Proton Satria Neo has no build quality, as with all Proton.

Oh, stock Suzuki Swift will not outgun a stock Myvi 1.5L. In fact it might tapao the Swift in straight line. Not very swift the Swift.
Oh the irony.

On the flip side, the Swift does have some decent handling. :biggrin:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
You're not planning to change car soon?

Best dad. :biggrin:
They both drives the manual Hyundai Sonata and even the VR.....:driver::biggrin:

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

You can never compare a used car with a new car at the same price. If you buy new, at least you are warranted for 3-5 years and you pay 46k. If you buy a used car at 46k, you might need to fork out more for repair and maintenance. At 46k, decent used cars are mostly over 5 years old so wear and tear are there even though its the indestructible Toyota Hilux.

If you are going to get a used car, try getting one which is below 40k. At least you have 6k standby for vital part repairs. Plus, if you fond to drive a manual over auto, insist that you want a manual and give good reasons to you dad like you can keep you manual driving skills, lower maintenance, safer drive when going downhill, better fuel consumption, bla bla bla...show him that you know something and I believe he will agree, unless he doesnt know how to drive a manual.
But the thing is for the price for new car you can get a lower end model, but for used car much higher cc and bigger car.....:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
They both drives the manual Hyundai Sonata and even the VR.....:driver::biggrin:

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

But the thing is for the price for new car you can get a lower end model, but for used car much higher cc and bigger car.....:driver:
Which generation of Sonata are you using? Got manual some more...

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Erm, no hard feelings duckster, you talk about horsepower, handling, turbo n supercharge, tapau this and that, but you need parking sensor to park a car? It sounds very very wrong to me and I don't feel comfortable sharing the roads you r driving on lol

Status
Not open for further replies.