Used car below RM45k

Status
Not open for further replies.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
If you intend to ferry people around, I would say forget about Satria Neo even though is potential with lots of parts to mod in future.
Then If you really looking for a small car and within that budget, you can get the new Myvi which would be around that price. Not the 1.5L ones but the 1.3L ones and is just slightly higher than your budget for used cars.

At least is new, you wont get blame or anything even if it breaks down like some said u can blame the manufacturer but dad will not blame u for picking that car like what u r gonna do on used cars. Myvi got lots of aftermarket parts even though lots of them hate it.
Even can consider K3VET in future as is gonna be fast enough for a Myvi or too fast. :biggrin:

If it really has to be used car, the only reliable one I see with good FC is the 1st Gen Toyota Vios. Friend have one and it is 10 years old but no headache at all within these 10 years. Serve him well and even make him think twice whether to sell off for and change a new car just for a change not because got problems. Aftermarket parts available as well.

Is either a used Toyota Vios 1.5L (1st Gen) or the New 1.3L Myvi.
If not reliability and build quality issue being so important in TS's criteria, I think there are more choices for a 45k budget. :biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
If not reliability and build quality issue being so important in TS's criteria, I think there are more choices for a 45k budget. :biggrin:
Lots of choices indeed. Since also controlled by dad and afraid that dad might blame him for choosing a lemon. I think the dad should be the one to choose then he wont get the blame.

Get son to choose the car he likes but if anything happen, he is the one to blame. What a good idea. :banghead:

For me, used cars are expected to have at least some wear and tear. There is no perfect 2nd hand car.
Just don't get one with major problems is good enough. Also putting aside at least RM3K aside as extra when buying used car is necessary. At least won't get stucked with the car not drivable due to problems. (depending on what car)

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
You can never compare a used car with a new car at the same price. If you buy new, at least you are warranted for 3-5 years and you pay 46k. If you buy a used car at 46k, you might need to fork out more for repair and maintenance. At 46k, decent used cars are mostly over 5 years old so wear and tear are there even though its the indestructible Toyota Hilux.

If you are going to get a used car, try getting one which is below 40k. At least you have 6k standby for vital part repairs. Plus, if you fond to drive a manual over auto, insist that you want a manual and give good reasons to you dad like you can keep you manual driving skills, lower maintenance, safer drive when going downhill, better fuel consumption, bla bla bla...show him that you know something and I believe he will agree, unless he doesnt know how to drive a manual.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
You can never compare a used car with a new car at the same price. If you buy new, at least you are warranted for 3-5 years and you pay 46k. If you buy a used car at 46k, you might need to fork out more for repair and maintenance. At 46k, decent used cars are mostly over 5 years old so wear and tear are there even though its the indestructible Toyota Hilux.

If you are going to get a used car, try getting one which is below 40k. At least you have 6k standby for vital part repairs. Plus, if you fond to drive a manual over auto, insist that you want a manual and give good reasons to you dad like you can keep you manual driving skills, lower maintenance, safer drive when going downhill, better fuel consumption, bla bla bla...show him that you know something and I believe he will agree, unless he doesnt know how to drive a manual.
Used car higher risk in problematic gearbox, so manual will be easier to convince him :biggrin:
Can get Myvi SE manual 1.3L brand new.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Used car higher risk in problematic gearbox, so manual will be easier to convince him :biggrin:
Can get Myvi SE manual 1.3L brand new.
Indeed. And we dont know how the previous driver trashed or pampered his or her car.

New myvi SE is quite worthy. 2 Air bags, ABS+EBD+BA, with bodykits, free 3 years service incl. parts & labour, electric power steering, decent FC and a hardy K3-VE engine. P2 service centre is not bad too.

Drawbacks: brakes are rubbish, ride is rubbish, sound insulation is rubbish. But all these can be modified to suit one's needs.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
haha, i oso wan MT, i love the thrill of shifting gears with one hand and holding steering in another :driver: but as said, stubborn father, cant do much :hmpf:
You are 19 lo. What u buy now will haunt u for half a decade.
Unless u can afford to change la. Just persuade him, is not like he is the one driving it.

here what i personally can tell about neo..other car listed dont have onhand experience..neo is ok la..part ok..many workshop also can do..aftermarket support also good here..chasis is great..engine abit underpower for me & need more checking frequency..headroom a bit problem for me..rear seat abit problem for me also..but AT like my wifey neo big no no if u travel a lot fc abit on the high side..if want neo go for the MT one..
Ur's not modded 99 already meh?

You're not planning to change car soon?

Best dad. :biggrin:
Thats a motivation. Can or not have to see.

Ya ya, agree. Best dad haahha.

Some cars like Tezza doesn't need a lot of maintenance although its 15 years old.
So depends on which car model. Even the oil filter is using Vios one.

Yea TS. Persuade your dad for MT.

hahaha, i remember talking with him that day about his old car that is used by another relative, he said "even proton if 20 years old sure can maintain, i give him only, then only the car break here and there".
so, no, he will still kena me :rolleyes:
but why Jazz? when i asked on lowyat, a lot recommend saga/persona (which i will NEVER drive) or Swift as first choice, just after Satria. i wonder :confused:
U have to be open minded lo. Grab the pros and cons from the owners then decide.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
here what i personally can tell about neo..other car listed dont have onhand experience..neo is ok la..part ok..many workshop also can do..aftermarket support also good here..chasis is great..engine abit underpower for me & need more checking frequency..headroom a bit problem for me..rear seat abit problem for me also..but AT like my wifey neo big no no if u travel a lot fc abit on the high side..if want neo go for the MT one..
Your wifey heavy footed and your straight flow exhaust problem laa... hahahahhahaahahah

duckster : Actually, my take on the Honda Jazz is maintenance is going to be very very costly. If I were you, I'd talk to your father about a Wira auto sedan. If you can get a good condition one, it's very easy to maintain (DIY) and very cheap. Nothing is cheaper than the Wira to maintain, even the Kancil no fight.

In terms of safety the Wira isn't as safe as the cars you mentioned, but in terms of potential, the Wira is king! My old Wira was 10 years old but had better FC than any of my cars (auto) and had plenty of mod potential. FC was 13km/L to 15km/L and I did all of the maintenance myself, kept costs very low.

The other thing about the Wira is if you have any accidents, minor or major, it's not an "expensive" car to begin with so it won't be heart ache to damage compared to your more expensive options.

But personally, if I had to choose only just between those you listed and not be allowed to look at anything else, I'd go for the Swift. Easiest to maintain, low maintenance, cheaper to maintain than Honda, good FC, nice and zippy to drive around town, all interior panels are connected using mostly clips, hardly any screws (easy to remove) and the safety rating for that car is quite good too. Lastly, it's cheaper than any of those you listed.

The Neo is a nice car, but as an auto, it's quite sluggish, slow and FC is terrible. I personally think the Jazz and Yaris are lady cars, not meant for men (hehehe) and can forget conti brands.

Btw, do you have your license already? Manual or auto? Or both? Manual cars are not hard to live with and have loads more modding potential, but as a everyday city driving car (during traffic jams) it can be tiring to drive. I'm going to start by saying consider getting an auto first. Once you understand the fundamentals of your car then only consider a gearbox transplant.

slipar

500 RPM
Apr 29, 2006
banting - pj
Your wifey heavy footed and your straight flow exhaust problem laa... hahahahhahaahahah
that also the couse of the high fc..compare before with MT neo the l/km meter if not mistake also show big diffrent..MT one somewhere around 4-5 but AT one around 8-9..

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Izso:

ABS and SRS Airbags which is a must. (wira dont have)
Parking sensors also is a must. (wira not sure got or not)
Stock handling. Terrible understeer, weak brakes and body roll: 100% Unacceptable or a No No (wira good :top:)

I dunno which stock car to recommend liao with such criteria at RM46K below :rofl:

So need RWD which are not meant to understeer :biggrin:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, TS, since u plan to mod the car, weak brakes and body roll can always mod later.

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006

duckster : Actually, my take on the Honda Jazz is maintenance is going to be very very costly. If I were you, I'd talk to your father about a Wira auto sedan. If you can get a good condition one, it's very easy to maintain (DIY) and very cheap. Nothing is cheaper than the Wira to maintain, even the Kancil no fight.
gotta disagree with taikor Izso this time. been driving a honda jazz for the past 6 years, i believe that maintenance is cheap but definitely cannot take on wira on that matter. parts still a plenty, even still could be sourced in japan if ur interested (altho now 3rd gen jazz in japan) and not forgetting thailand. engine parts are the same with 4th gen.

later down the road, TS could convert the jazz to manual. plenty of halfcuts and damn it is fun in manual tranny :biggrin:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Izso:

ABS and SRS Airbags which is a must. (wira dont have)
Parking sensors also is a must. (wira not sure got or not)
Stock handling. Terrible understeer, weak brakes and body roll: 100% Unacceptable or a No No (wira good :top:)

I dunno which stock car to recommend liao with such criteria at RM46K below :rofl:

So need RWD which are not meant to understeer :biggrin:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, TS, since u plan to mod the car, weak brakes and body roll can always mod later.
Parking sensor 10 ringgit saja ma. :biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Parking sensor 10 ringgit saja ma. :biggrin:
He want everything to comes with it ma lol. If not those weak brakes and body roll is not an issue adi haha. but which stock daily non performance car no body roll la...:rofl:

Got 1 not too bad body roll. Kelisa :rofl: but no reverse sensor haha

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
He want everything to comes with it ma lol. If not those weak brakes and body roll is not an issue adi haha. but which stock daily non performance car no body roll la...:rofl:

Got 1 not too bad body roll. Kelisa :rofl: but no reverse sensor haha
If you need parking sensor in a kelisa, it is best that you dont drive wahhahaa...

All these body roll or brakes or handling thingy, you wont encounter any problem if you follow ALL traffic laws keke

Status
Not open for further replies.