Status
Not open for further replies.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
:biggrin:

so it's obvious everyone is divided in their opinion. Everything is relative. I'm obviously obsessed with the Wira because of my long history with 2 which I maintained myself after warranty.

es2611 : Bro, you gotta remember this kid is a 19 year old who doesn't have any income, except perhaps his allowance. So comparing the Jazz with the Wira, Wira wins hands down in low cost la. Everything about the Wira is cheap, including build quality, but that's the thing - everythings cheap so it's easy to replace to become new.

supfan : Where'd you get all those requirements from? Airbags are available in some models of the Wira SE 1st gen car. Can mod the Satria GTI steering with Airbag into the Wira. Parking sensors, every car in the market now has except for the barebones Kelisa and Kancil la. And like what cvkit said - if you need sensors for those cars, you really shouldn't be driving a car. ABS can be retrofitted in the Wira too, again - from the Satria GTI. Stock handling - what car within that price range has good handling and zero bodyroll la? That's just an unreasonable requirement. But Wira easily resolved with suspension upgrades or stock suspension with 19mm rear ARB and 23mm front ARB (which is cheaper than changing suspension).

So again - Wira :P Hands down win.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
My criteria are:

Very important.
-Build quality. I don't want him blaming me and leaving me with an unusable car just coz there were existing issues which were prevalent in most cars of the same model. I don't care about how the interior looks like: as long as it don't give me driving difficulties.
No Protons then.

-Stock handling. Terrible understeer, weak brakes and body roll: 100% no.
No Myvi then.

Important.
-Aftermarket support. I'm looking forward to improve handling including braking parts as well as weight after I earn from direct sales. A direct bolt-on turbo/super may be possible in future, if travelling far is needed due to direct sales. (considering the fact that i maybe attending amateur competitions)
No Korean cars, poor aftermarket support here.

Medium.
-Comfort. As a university student who will definitely stay in a hostel, I will be only using this car sometimes. But I may be fetching friends from time to time.
Comfort subjective lah. Your butt cheeks might be harder than mine.

-Features. University student only, I don't need so much features to survive. But parking sensors are a MUST, as well as good anti-theft features.
Most cars have parking sensors.
Good anti-theft feature? Only Mercedes have laser cut keys. Everything else can be stolen. Volvos nobody would steal even if you left the keys in, Tiara and Savvy also nobody wants to steal.

-Safety. The car will only be used for driving to nearby places around campus, so will be driving slow for the first (and second) year. But ABS and SRS airbags is a MUST.
-Spare parts pricing. I have been advised to do frequent checkups instead of only fixing when problems show up, but it will still a burden if the parts are expensive.
Perodua got cheap half cut parts, Toyota & Honda too. Suzuki and Nissan parts going to be relatively costlier. Korean expensive.

After checking through a lot of stock used cars, I found these, all auto with advertised mileage below 100k (i know usually they can't be trusted, but this is all i have for now):-
Might as well buy a Vios? Why this?

Expensive to buy.

Expensive to maintain.

Too old IMO.

Proton and build quality doesn't go in the same sentence.

Parts going to be expensive cause this car not officially sold here. E.g. bumper, headlamps. That engine also not available here.

Good car, good choice, full featured. Spare parts expensive, but out of this lot I'll choose this. 2009, relatively new.

Too old.

Which one should I go with? May be involved in direct sales in future, and occasionally goes out.
And if possible, can give me hint on important things to check on in 30 mins around a car? thank you.
:pepsi:
Get a mechanic you trust, ask him to check the car for you. It is best if you can get a mechanic who i knowledgeable about the car you intend to buy. E.g. workshop that always fix Suzuki Swift will know what are the common problems and what to spot.

Finally

You want Good, Cheap with Build Quality, it doesn't exist. You can choose 2 out of these 3 criteria. A Proton Saga is good and cheap, but no build quality. It handles well in its class, 1.6L got sufficient power in its class.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Wah the FLX SE meh.
FLX i dunno la, but the manual variant sure out corner and out accelerate a Myvi. Sure can chase Vios, City, Latio no problem.

But no build quality wor, anjua

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
FLX i dunno la, but the manual variant sure out corner and out accelerate a Myvi. Sure can chase Vios, City, Latio no problem.

But no build quality wor, anjua
There is the only one and FLX 1.3L Manual that I know can chase and our corner Vios/Myvi/City/Latio without problem. Modded though :biggrin:

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006
:biggrin:

so it's obvious everyone is divided in their opinion. Everything is relative. I'm obviously obsessed with the Wira because of my long history with 2 which I maintained myself after warranty.

es2611 : Bro, you gotta remember this kid is a 19 year old who doesn't have any income, except perhaps his allowance. So comparing the Jazz with the Wira, Wira wins hands down in low cost la. Everything about the Wira is cheap, including build quality, but that's the thing - everythings cheap so it's easy to replace to become new.
well bro, i think the dad already consider the running cost. buying car doesnt end there, maintenance is next.

to be frank with u, the jazz didnt give me much problem only with one faulty coil and broken engine mounting. the others are only scheduled maintenance.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
well bro, i think the dad already consider the running cost. buying car doesnt end there, maintenance is next.

to be frank with u, the jazz didnt give me much problem only with one faulty coil and broken engine mounting. the others are only scheduled maintenance.
I guess really depends on the owner how they care for the car I guess :smile:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Does the standard Jazz have the same spark plug location as the hybrid? Cuz the stupid hybrid one has the spark plugs back facing the firewall so it's practically unreacheable unless you lower the engine.

And the Wira is pretty much the same thing, engine mounting and robust engine. But gotta give the Jazz the build quality win though, after 5 years most if not all Wiras have rust issues, worn rubber door seals, worn weather seals (boot aquarium), and all those "fun" stuff.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
kancil,kelisa,viva,maivi is enuf....

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
First gen Vios is a solid car.

You choose the G spec, you'll get twin airbags, ABS, EBD, a zippy 1.5L engine, a reliable 4 speed automatic gearbox, with a decent sized boot.

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006
Does the standard Jazz have the same spark plug location as the hybrid? Cuz the stupid hybrid one has the spark plugs back facing the firewall so it's practically unreacheable unless you lower the engine.

And the Wira is pretty much the same thing, engine mounting and robust engine. But gotta give the Jazz the build quality win though, after 5 years most if not all Wiras have rust issues, worn rubber door seals, worn weather seals (boot aquarium), and all those "fun" stuff.
yes bro. those spark plugs are located facing the firewall at about 45 deg angle but the first gen jazz gotta better clearance to go at it. as for the new hybrid, they are tight as hell and need to open up the wiper assembly part. as i am also DIY guy @ noob mechanic it will take some time to get the tool positioning right but definitely can be done.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
First gen Vios is a solid car.

You choose the G spec, you'll get twin airbags, ABS, EBD, a zippy 1.5L engine, a reliable 4 speed automatic gearbox, with a decent sized boot.
I'd be surprised if he can find a good condition 1st gen Gspec Vios. They still retail anywhere between 45 to 50k which is kinda ridiculous since most are 9 years old thereabouts. Agree with you on the solid though.

yes bro. those spark plugs are located facing the firewall at about 45 deg angle but the first gen jazz gotta better clearance to go at it. as for the new hybrid, they are tight as hell and need to open up the wiper assembly part. as i am also DIY guy @ noob mechanic it will take some time to get the tool positioning right but definitely can be done.
Friend has a Hybrid and he's cursed non-stop about the position of the plugs. He can't remove even with flexi joints! Don't know about the wiper assembly though. But that's even more insane than my Sylphy - remove manifold and coolant to access plugs. Yours is remove wiper to access plugs. :biggrin:

Wonder if there's a "remove exhaust to access plugs" car?

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
I'd be surprised if he can find a good condition 1st gen Gspec Vios. They still retail anywhere between 45 to 50k which is kinda ridiculous since most are 9 years old thereabouts. Agree with you on the solid though.
If OP can drive manual, the Fiesta 1.4M is a good bet...

TheDuckster

Known Member
Jun 18, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
forum.lowyat.net
Oh your dad allow small in size but don't care whatever the capacity....hahahha:biggrin:

I allow my kids to drive MT only....direct opposite.....:driver::biggrin:
I want to switch places with ur son :itsme:

If you intend to ferry people around, I would say forget about Satria Neo even though is potential with lots of parts to mod in future.
Then If you really looking for a small car and within that budget, you can get the new Myvi which would be around that price. Not the 1.5L ones but the 1.3L ones and is just slightly higher than your budget for used cars.

At least is new, you wont get blame or anything even if it breaks down like some said u can blame the manufacturer but dad will not blame u for picking that car like what u r gonna do on used cars. Myvi got lots of aftermarket parts even though lots of them hate it.
Even can consider K3VET in future as is gonna be fast enough for a Myvi or too fast. :biggrin:

If it really has to be used car, the only reliable one I see with good FC is the 1st Gen Toyota Vios. Friend have one and it is 10 years old but no headache at all within these 10 years. Serve him well and even make him think twice whether to sell off for and change a new car just for a change not because got problems. Aftermarket parts available as well.

Is either a used Toyota Vios 1.5L (1st Gen) or the New 1.3L Myvi.
Used car, I am pretty anti-P1 and anti-P2 for reliability concerns. Imagine the scolding i will get if i get blamed for new car problems :banghead: warranty for new car vs modding ability for used cars...hard to choose :confused:
and if he choose, confirm new saga/myvi, the two i'm trying to avoid for 18 years. :thefinger:
and Wira no parking sensor. I know it's cheap, but I dun wan to be just another fish swimming in the sea. I will need a bit stock power, like 120 hp i-VTEC (of coz not that, but somewhere close :biggrin:)

You can never compare a used car with a new car at the same price. If you buy new, at least you are warranted for 3-5 years and you pay 46k. If you buy a used car at 46k, you might need to fork out more for repair and maintenance. At 46k, decent used cars are mostly over 5 years old so wear and tear are there even though its the indestructible Toyota Hilux.

If you are going to get a used car, try getting one which is below 40k. At least you have 6k standby for vital part repairs. Plus, if you fond to drive a manual over auto, insist that you want a manual and give good reasons to you dad like you can keep you manual driving skills, lower maintenance, safer drive when going downhill, better fuel consumption, bla bla bla...show him that you know something and I believe he will agree, unless he doesnt know how to drive a manual.
The one below 40k is only Satria Neo...or should i consider persuading him to top up and get Honda City or Honda Jazz i-VTEC? 110+10hp :rofl:

Your wifey heavy footed and your straight flow exhaust problem laa... hahahahhahaahahah

duckster : Actually, my take on the Honda Jazz is maintenance is going to be very very costly. If I were you, I'd talk to your father about a Wira auto sedan. If you can get a good condition one, it's very easy to maintain (DIY) and very cheap. Nothing is cheaper than the Wira to maintain, even the Kancil no fight.

In terms of safety the Wira isn't as safe as the cars you mentioned, but in terms of potential, the Wira is king! My old Wira was 10 years old but had better FC than any of my cars (auto) and had plenty of mod potential. FC was 13km/L to 15km/L and I did all of the maintenance myself, kept costs very low.

The other thing about the Wira is if you have any accidents, minor or major, it's not an "expensive" car to begin with so it won't be heart ache to damage compared to your more expensive options.

But personally, if I had to choose only just between those you listed and not be allowed to look at anything else, I'd go for the Swift. Easiest to maintain, low maintenance, cheaper to maintain than Honda, good FC, nice and zippy to drive around town, all interior panels are connected using mostly clips, hardly any screws (easy to remove) and the safety rating for that car is quite good too. Lastly, it's cheaper than any of those you listed.

The Neo is a nice car, but as an auto, it's quite sluggish, slow and FC is terrible. I personally think the Jazz and Yaris are lady cars, not meant for men (hehehe) and can forget conti brands.

Btw, do you have your license already? Manual or auto? Or both? Manual cars are not hard to live with and have loads more modding potential, but as a everyday city driving car (during traffic jams) it can be tiring to drive. I'm going to start by saying consider getting an auto first. Once you understand the fundamentals of your car then only consider a gearbox transplant.
Bro, current test only allow manuals... but my dad wants me to drive auto. :banghead: he's taking away my youthhood.
And Jazz and Yaris has proven mods... Sprintex supercharger has ready-made kit for Jazz and Yaris has Blitz supercharger kit (3-stage on-the-go variable pulley system :eek:). I personally dont care whether it's ladies' car or not; they can laugh all they want when i burnout in their face :burnout: :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

to all sifus,

1st of all, my car only done minor upgrading such as exhaust system, intake manifold, and using ECU ralliart .
here the situation:

1) been use E9 almost 1year and never pump 95 only 97. my fc is about MYR 50/90km:banghead:
2) last night i decided to pump 95:thefinger:. what is the cons of using 95 on mivec turbo?

please advise me.

Tq:driver:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience