thinking to buy 2nd hand sports car after getting the license......

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

viperxs

Jul 6, 2006
Sorry to say but if you are worried about space, petrol, maintenance etc I would suggest that you take a normal car. Well if you don't mind stylo mylo even a good old Nissan Sunny is good enough to go anywhere. Main thing is it must be in good condition. No point for flashy car but always break down etc right...
I have two and my parent and my siblings can only drive my car for few meters away simply because it's a complex car to begin with and since I paid with my hard earned money (yes..my parent paid up till my secondary education and rest came from myself, no parent chipping in) so they know not to play with my toys that much.
Experience comes slowly and it comes with right attitude. You have a 1000hp car and you expect everyone to move over and loose your patience easily then you are bound to hit the lamp post soon.
Why I would suggest a normal car? See, you can get a good quality kancil or for around 10k. Or perhaps a brand new viva etc...That will teach you patience and earn some skill along the way. Tell your daddy for the rest of 40k or whatever left of it that you want him to bank in to your account because when you grow up, wise enough and can pay for better car you would want to use that money for something way way way better...maybe R35. Not everyone as lucky as you are so think and act wisely...not to mention that the 40k you can use it for maintenance for the car easily.
If I were you I would get an old reliable car and plonk the rest into savings. Soon enough the Toyota 86 would mature enough in terms of getting turbo kits etc (5 years down the road perhaps) and you can pay for the car along with modifying it...now that's a head turner from old car to super hot fast car...

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I don't think it's wrong for new drivers to get sports car. Hell, get any car you want (or actually afford, lol).

It's not age, it's attitude. Most of the drivers that behave like crap on the road are old uncles in Camrys and Hiluxs, not to mention the makciks in Myvis....:rolleyes:

CPS is a good shout out. And he actually said under 120k, not at 120k.
I think mostly those who behaves like crap on the streets are those guys aged low 30s or below, especially those young boys who just got their licenses! They tend to be more aggressive, and think they own the road, tailgating, zig-zagging, etc2 without much fear/not yet realizing the risks. That's why in more developed countries, males on this age bracket must pay the highest insurance premium. Heck I was also like that when I begun to drive my self, driving an old slow car but revving it like mad and still went faster than most cars on the road, and end up crashing many times! :banghead: Simply got too big headed without much brain at those times. But now I'm already in the category of those old uncles, already know a lot better and be much wiser lor, so drive much sensibly! :biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Getting one is never a problem...maintaining it is always the issue. :smile:

Unless you or parents can afford the some minor repairs and maintenance for that particular sports car.
Also depends on what is your budget on getting a 2nd hand sports car. Too many to choose from with different price tags.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
hahaha~well i probably will get dc2,juz look up at my local 2nd hand shops....
DC2 is a good choice. But since they are old and you're looking 2nd hand, make sure you have someone who knows his Hondas with you. The differences between a normal DC2 and a Type-R are very subtle and 100% of all DC2s have been thrashed someway or another. Also it's a cash buy of RM50k plus minus, no one will loan you money (banks) for a car that old

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I would go for ST205, rare and yet not something to look down at :biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
True true...another thing is dont use car or money to kau lui...use ur own skills! Comes with experience

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
If I were in your shoes, I would buy a.....

brand new PERODUA MYVI 1.5

After using it for 3 to 5 years, I still can sell it for a bundle of cash, then I'll go for serious sports car!

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Mind asking, are you working or still studying? and before you drop that 50K down...what is your monthly allowance? because you will need to maintain the car after you bought it....and you need to set aside emergency cash if shit happens when you got the car....

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Mind asking, are you working or still studying? and before you drop that 50K down...what is your monthly allowance? because you will need to maintain the car after you bought it....and you need to set aside emergency cash if shit happens when you got the car....
Dear TR,

Judging from his postings, I think he is a richman son...

If father can throw 50K for him to buy car, another 50K is nothing if he asked nicely....

Am I right TS ?:listen::biggrin:

youdunsay

Jan 15, 2013
unknown
Dear TR,

Judging from his postings, I think he is a richman son...

If father can throw 50K for him to buy car, another 50K is nothing if he asked nicely....

Am I right TS ?:listen::biggrin:
he give 50k to me for buy car de >< then i thinking buying sports car lo.....
but nvm lah i juz want hear ur guys de opinion :biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
You have an awesome dad.

Just be wary of the running costs of cars these days. Petrol is expensive (relatively), maintenance is not exactly cheap if you don't DIY and don't forget - sports cars most of the time have 16" or 17" rim sizes so tyres prices will break you.

Lesley is right, you should consider a brand new Myvi 1.5, at least that car is an awesome drive, good fuel consumption and *relatively* cheap parts.

Alternatively you could consider a Wira 1.5 or 1.6 (or Satria.. just don't get 1.3) for around 20k give or take and use the remaining money to mod it and/or touch it up (new paint, bodykit, etc)

Why Wira? Cheapest car to maintain in Malaysia, tonnes of aftermarket parts and tonnes of halfcut spares from Lancers, Evo and other Wiras.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
True true...another thing is dont use car or money to kau lui...use ur own skills! Comes with experience
Bro, kau lui surely no problem for you :rofl:

That's a real nice dad of yours, got to discuss with your dad, giving you the money to
get a car is 1 thing, question is...

1. Who will maintain the car for you if shit happens/repairs/servicing and etcs?
  2. Fuel Consumption, will it be your concern? If dad will sponsor on petrol, then okay
  3. Is comfort your concern in getting a car?
  4. Auto or Manual?

RM50K can get quite a good variety of sports car...
If your dad willing to give you RM50K, and if everything is sponsored, why not consider
Toyota AE86, not really a sports car but a very RARE collector's item drift legend.

Maintenance wise, for 4AGE, still acceptable but since your dad can give you RM50K
to get a car, maintaining an AE86, wouldn't be a problem.

Sporty and yet a head turner car :rofl: if you get what i mean, if a ferrari F430 and
AE86 pass by, I would look at AE86 :rofl:

But that is me okay :rofl: Can't guarantee everyone but then I bet many would love
to own that car.

:biggrin:

http://www.mudah.my/Toyota+86+M+-19375171.htm?last=1

Last edited:

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Nah! Performance car is not suitable for a beginner. Maintaining the engine and other wear and tear is quite complicated. I have seen newbies getting conned by workshop for small issue. We will never know what has the previous owner done to his ride.
Get a new MYVI or Saga FLX which is a decent car to start / learn with. If you don't like locals, Up the budget for Almera or Vios. Why new car? peace of mind as no wear and tear issue and there is this thing call warranty.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam

buy the car.. get the tree free of charge :biggrin:

btw, since this is ur 1st car.. better get a good condition car.. ie no leaking, no squeaking, good idling..

Gudluck :burnout:

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

anyways.. nowadays, lots of AE86 owners call their car 'Toyota 86'..

they should call it by its original name 'Toyota Trueno AE86'

:wink:

This is Toyota 86