The 3 Types of Engine Oils

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Shell Helix

engine-oil-drain.jpg

There are 3 typical oil types we’re most familiar with. Starting with mineral, semi synthetic and fully synthetic oil types. In this order, its price and performance increases exponentially.<b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b>

Mineral Oil
As with most engine oils, Mineral Oils are derived from the crude oil extracted from under the ocean through fossil oils. The crude oil is then distilled and further processed to acceptable levels for automotive use and should contain some level of additives. Mineral Oils have been the baseline product used by car manufacturers as it is the most cost effective while maintaining the minimum accepted quality for consumers.

Semi Synthetic Oils
Generally blended with no more than 30% of synthetic content, semi-synthetic oil further increases lubrication performance with improved corrosion deterrent ability, sealing, and can withstand higher operational temperatures. Synthetically blended oils also has better friction reducing abilities compared to pure mineral oils

helixpacks.jpg

Fully Synthetic Oils
These are the best engine oils that is engineered to outperform mineral based oils with even greater low and high temperature viscosity. It is also blended with advanced chemicals for shear stability, resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown and greater prevention from oil sludge. Fully synthetic oils also lasts longer for extended oil service intervals, resulting in less oil wastage. With the merits of a fully synthetic oil, comes with better protection for a longer engine life.

Car owners who demand the best typically find it more worthwhile to purchase synthetic oils for its benefits in greater protection and longer service life clearly outweighs its higher purchase costs.

For example, the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 is five times as effective at removing sludge than mineral oil with friction modifiers that helps the engine to unlock additional horsepower while reducing wear to a minimum.

The Shell Helix Ultra is developed with Ferrari and is the preferred choice for the Italian high performance automobile manufacturer.

More about Shell Helix Ultra Engine Oil

Attachments

• engine oil drain.jpg
    engine oil drain.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 5,115
Nice info...btw..currently i'm using mineral oil based for my engine....my question is...can i top up with the semi synthetic oil?meaning to say that i wanted to mix up with mineral oil based with semi synthetic oil...tq

Nice info...btw..currently i'm using mineral oil based for my engine....my question is...can i top up with the semi synthetic oil?meaning to say that i wanted to mix up with mineral oil based with semi synthetic oil...tq

It's not wise to mix different grades of oils but if you have an urgent need to top up your oil before an oil change, you can do so

thanks tom..top up already...what to do....the oil already way to low at that time...hahah...hope the engine will be fine :thefinger:

now i m using shell 10w for a long period of time..can i change to 5w any time

Last edited:
If your engine is running with mineral for a long time, and have noticeable sludge, you should be careful if you want to change to fully synthetic. In many cases, fully synthetic EO will clean that sludge and sometimes, it may cause the sludge stuck on the oil passage, causing less EO delivered and excessive wear on engine parts

Just wanna ask..Im using a kelisa and im using mineral oil..Is it wise if i change to semi synthetic ?? Or for a simple car such as a kelisa i should jst stick to mineral for the best performance and maintenance ??

Just wanna ask..Im using a kelisa and im using mineral oil..Is it wise if i change to semi synthetic ?? Or for a simple car such as a kelisa i should jst stick to mineral for the best performance and maintenance ??

If wallet allow then the best mesti is fully. If that is too expensive for u then u can use semi, cos mineral oil are less protection n fuel efficiency.

Top Bottom