RX7 journals.....

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
All,

let's have some fun and write some stories about your 7 or 8....
stories including when you get it... what went wrong, what did u do.. what upgrade and what's next... and plan....

give me a little time as my story is 1.5 years length.. but i'll keep it simple.. :)

let's get start posted.

Story of my 7

1) The condition was quite bad upon purchase. The condition of the engine was still okay but the interior was terrible. Interior problems including rattling door panels, broken hand rest, broke door panel holder etc. The car still runs quite well.

2) gear box seems to be leaking oil. Few trips every now and then. Brought it to them to fix the gearbox, rebuild the rear suspensions and change the clutch as it had totally worn out.

3) realised only 190 rwhp. There’s a day found out it’s at 170 rwhp. installed S-AFC recomended by Links. and changed gear box fluid, rear axel fluid. put my car back on 190 rwhp.

4) car got broke in AFC stolen. Spent long time searching for window. same time realise boosting at 0.5 bar

5) recomended a power FC by Links again. unable to tune because of knocks. requested them to check for vacuum leak but never done.

6) introduced to Ah Choy. replaced the Y pipe coupling. and found out a few hoses are popped out. most likely causing boost leak.

7) same time found out pre-charge control and wastegate control is disabled and some hoses are capped with screws. solution was to revert back to stock hosing route and check all solenoids. the car run like god afterwards. but bad hessitation believe it's hitting boost cut due to boosting higher.

8) idle was always high at 3000 RPM. found out that lower manifold gasket was chipped off sucking raw air. replaced that and idle was like god again :) and same time installed boost meter (the most important mod)

to be continued

Last edited:
damn... very long winded... i'll stick with the point form on my next post.

9) found out radiator water gets less day by day... 500 ml a week. worried was o ring bad... but actual fact is radiator cracked. solution was replaced the radiator

10) bad clunking noises from the rear end of the car. bushes and linkages were worn. replaced them with a 2nd handed and better ones.

11) very difficult to close the door. people thinks that i'm pissed off banging the door hard. so bought 2 doors from ah choy, replaced the locks and door panel. now the car is like new :)

12) replaced the center console as well as most of FD were damaged due to aging pastic cracks

13) one day driving in a hot day... the AST blew up.... splitted into 2. the car immediately beep for warning. called and sent my brother to get a temporary AST for emergency use from Ah Choy.

14) replaced with a SARD metal AST. using 1.3 Bar cap... (i must be crazy)

15) air con hot like hell for quite some time. when in a jam.. the air con does not cool at all. sent to an air con shop in sunway. took out the whole air con to check for leakage and replaced the air-con hoses as it is loose causing gas leak. with a large bill, air con is cold like freezer even on traffic jam.

16) one day the alternator failed on me... i was outstationed. sent to a workshop and charged me a bomb for a re-cond alternator from pajero. months later came back to ah choy and replaced with a re-cond FD alternator. it has to be 100 Amp alternator. else it's not charging enough.

i believe that concluded my FIXING of the OLD Lady and reviving it back to a CHIC :)

17) replaced her contact lenses (the reflector) to a newer one. now she looks brighter :)

can you all imagine how much effort i spent on reviving the OLD LADY ? ahahhaaaha

that's the route to go through when you get a bad conditioned car.

Basically its not due to the bad condition but for its age. Even though u get a good condition car these kind of problems will still appear and need to be maintained every now and then. Well, thats the price to pay for playing with more than 10 years old car. At least u still enjoy it,uh I do =)

oh yeah... so happy to see the old lady with new make up and with new plastic surgery :) internal transplant :)

okay. as of 2nd March 2007... death of my rotary is confirmed.
i'll finish my story in between before i go for my rebuild stories.

3rd episode of my car story

13. got myself a set of Trust shocks coilover. non hi-low, but it's a softhard adjustable. it's lowered by 25 MM. pain in the ass going over high bumps and un-even roads. (the shock still available for sale dirt cheap price)

14. went on track day with the rest of RE group. got into accident. bang into Berg's car. not major.. just some minor scratches.

15. during the track event, realise that my car when it's really hot, it will cut my boost into half and gives me huge misfiring.... after cool down, it behaves normal.

16. purchased an aftermarket tuned ECU by FAM speed. it's an ECU that runs blardy rich but hell powerful. but high RPM bogging due to too rich. can u imagine.. air fuel ratio is lower than 9....

17. upgraded my single oil cooler to twin oil coolers. very reasonable price. tyres were worn out. decided to change new tyres. give it a try on Toyo T1R. good shit for my 250 horse.

18. went on track with new twin oil coolers, upgraded ECU, new tyres... wicked !!!! no more limp mode.... rev all the way until my tyres can't take it and finish one tank of petrol... that's how rich i'm talking about :)

19. got myself another shocks... HKS hyper-D... this set of shocks provides ultra handling yet comfortable on normal roads....a little regret on the trust that i bought earlier... they were too low for my area. too much scratches.

20. another track event.... with my new 99 spec rear spoiler and my HKS shocks... amazing fun and amazing run.... the car just handles better...

21. money again.... bought a powerFC... because i can't take the extreme bad fuel economy... earlier it was just 220 KM for one freakin full tank.... Power FC gives me 300 per tank... and tuned up to 282 Bhp on the WHEELS.... that's amazing for almost stock...

22. backside itchy.... got myself a 99 spec front brake kit... they are LARGE... and they really stop car like no body's business...

23. night time track event.... with my power FC... 99 spec brakes.... even more fun... at night people can see my car do flame throwing like mad on deceleration.. and the brakes really stop veryvery well.... so well that it locks up earlier than the rear...

24. purchase again... got myself a wideband O2 sensor and a braided brake lines. both of them are in... my O2 sensor does not get into effect first as it doesn't interface well with my laptop... i got myself a Innovate motorsport LC1, and Russell Braided Brake line kits. my car stops EVEN better...

25. ordered a datalogit to interface the O2 sensor with PowerFC in Datalogit for my own tuning purposes. haven't arrive.

26......... 2nd Febuary 2007...... death of rotary..... water seal damaged... fron rotor compression 6 for all 3 sides.... rear rotor 5 5 4..... all 4 plugs are full of water... exhaust is blasting out water... way out of my budgeting suddenly need to rebuild.. never plan for it.. now need to bleed for my wallet....

good side is that... i get to post more pictures and details about what i'm doing with my car :) good for the other members...

Think of it this way....you'll be getting a fresh start and that motor will be bloody good for another 60k-90k depending on the drivers right foot. That's a bloody long time ehhh?? Dude....this is a new chapter for the lady in Red.:shades_smile:

yeah it's a new chapter......
with new implants and organ transplan... with pace maker etc.. eheheeh
expecting it to last more than 100 K KM. .. putting new stuffs in them..
details will be reveal soon...

stuffs to be purchased
1) new Apex Seal from Rotary Aviation RA classics with new springs
2) new o ring kits from Rotary Aviation as well
3) street port for my housing

stuffs yet to purchase and still considering
1) 99 spec 280 horse power turbos
2) 3 inch downpipes

do it right the first time. spend the money where its important and you'll never regret.

totally agree... that's why going for RA classics... i dun have single turbo.. no need go for super seals :)

definitely i'll do it the right way..... after it's completed.. i'm turning off my boost... RPM cut set at 5000....

run in with full syn oil for 1600 KM...

definitely have a good run in and do it the correct way....

the question is down pipe or not :P

the Rebuild Kit that included in my shipment
DSC00352.jpg

my O Ring kits that's being used in my Engine
DSC00354.jpg

My RA classics Apex Seal Kits (2 piece Apex Seals)
DSC00357.jpg

DSC00358.jpg

Last edited:
my damage on the housing plate
a small chip on the corner causing the water entering my engine
DSC00359.jpg

this picture is when my engine is taken out
DSC00362.jpg

at the moment.. the car is ready....

1) ported (brap brap brap)
2) better healthier turbos
3) all vacuum issues solved
4) solenoids replaced (not working ones)

yeah discover new issue.

1) my gear box has been running not enough gear oil. thus my gear box is quite hot after some distance driving or high speed drivings.
2) the gear oil poured out is full of metal dust

cause: the gear box oil refill hole is jammed unable to refill through that hole.. previous guys that refill mine did not tell me. makes me wanna ram the whole gear box into their ass...

remedy: using 30 years of experience in opening screws, the hole will be opened.. worst case is to re-tap the thread and replace with a larger plug after filled in the oils. at least it should last me up to another year or so....

oh yeah.... my rebuild total cost....4.8K....new seals, new o rings, healthier turbo, better rotor housing. better rotor cover plate, better end rotor plate, new pilot bearings, some other gaskets are new as well...

those seals that i showed above cost 1.2 K and kau tim the customs when collecting them.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom