RX7 MK3 FD3S Questions

HanJackaL

1,000 RPM
Hi,i am thinking of buying a RX7 MK3 FD3S but alot of people have advised me against it since they said RX7 is famous for maintanence problem and the maintanence cost will be at least 1 k monthly.I need opinions from RX7 fanatics please...i have a few questions :

1)What are the regular maintanence routine for RX7 and how often must i maintain it ?

A)Black Oil
B)??
C)??

For a normal performance car,i know that black oil needs to be changed every 5000 KM or so,piston rings and valve seal needs replacing every half a year or so.How about the RX7 ?I know the RX7 is powered by 2 rotors instead of pistons,so does that mean every half a year i must replace the rotors or the entire combustion chambers ?Means literally replacing 3 quarter of the engine ?

2)When buying an RX7,what is the MOST IMPORTANT thing to check to see if the car is in good condition ?

3)Besides Fuel consumption,what are the most common problems RX7 tends to give?Which part spoils the most often ...etc

4)How reliable is the RX7 if i plan to travel about 100-200 KM a day everyday ?Will maintanence be VERY much more expensive than a normal performance car ? (Evo,Skyline,Civic Type R)

5)Comparing an RX7 to an Evo 8,is RX7 maintanence very much higher than the Evo ?

6)Besides Exterior look,whats the difference between a 1995 RX7 MK3 Type R vs a 1999-2002 Type RS ?What engine parts is different and why is the RX 7 Type RS faster than RX7 Type R ?

7)Lets say i decide to boost up to 2.0 bar,does RX7 tend to have "knocking" problems like piston cars?If yes,then how do i lower the compression ratio ?

8)To increase performance of RX7,aside from porting the intake and exhaust and changing to bigger turbing with higher boost,how do i upgrade the performance ? Since RX7 has no cams,valves,pistons and the throttle body is connected to the output shaft,i am quite confused.I been modding normal engines and have no experience with rotary.

Please help and advice me guys ! THanks so much !

Last edited:

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom