Opinions / Discussions Pls. CamShaft Swap

Boink Boink

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
Hello Bros,

I would like to know what you guys think of the situation and what I should do next.

I recently swapped my camshaft for a longer duration 250+ cam from the factory original. It gives good idling and fits my needs well because the car is a daily car.

My 'problem' is this. I dont really feel much difference. In some areas things have inproved. In some areas, I would be hard pressed to say there was any difference.
After swapping I can tell for sure
  • Top end has improved to 175km/h
  • Cruising at 150/160 on highways is more readily acheivable..
  • Driving around KL, you can chug around in OD most of the time without feeling out of breath.
but my issues are this.
  • No change to the 0 - 100km/h time. Hardly.
  • Sometimes, you feel like the car is slow to respond, as if the cam was not swapped. In lower ends as well.
Maybe I had too much expectations about the cam. but I had the impression that Cam swaps were supposed to release quite a bit of performance from a car. Was I wrong?

At the moment, I have a Unichip installed with the usual Intake and exhaust mods. I spoke to a local tuner and he said "sorry la" automatics you can't really do much for it wan" Even a retune would not help much.

I spoke to the source of my cam and he also mentioned that I could be at the limit of my automatic gearbox.

So now I ask you.
1. Automatic Transmission so spastic wan mer?
2. Does anyone think a retune on the Unichip will yeild better results?
3. Can the transmission be modified?

BTW, the car is a Kembara, old version, automatic.
Thanx.

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
Camshafts are not magic wands that produce power the minute you slam them in.

You have to complement them with the rite gear ratio, powerband, in/ex ports size, exhaust system and fuelling.

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
250+ duration is about an additional 10 degree overlap from stock.

Maybe your expectation is too high.

MitonCT26

1,000 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Seremban
installation of performance camshaft be it race or street use are merely SHIFTING the peak power band towards the higher end of engine rev the more agressive the cams are.

looking at a dyno sheet, you will have huge gains compared to stock cams on a race cam for example, but you will notice that the power band shifted all the way towards the redline by looking at the graph point. stock cams usually are quite flat in comparison.

any cams that have a more agressive duration than stock will suffer in a way, more or less at the low end of the engine rev. that is normal.

Boink Boink

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
Joeker said:
250+ duration is about an additional 10 degree overlap from stock.

Maybe your expectation is too high.
Joeker - yeah perhaps my expectations were too high. Cannot seemto put my finger on it. Really quite one for me to think. Anyways, thanks for the magic wand statement, dont really agree. Had and still have the opinion that CAM swaps are prob the best money can buy, without going Forced Asp. Maybe I am wrong.

Milton - Eh sorrya rr.... but if you change duration, you get gains in both torque and HP with tradeoffs inbetween thr two. But if you change lift and lobe angle then you shift the torque curve along the rpm range. Am I mistaken?

Anyways, anyone can tell me what to do next?

MitonCT26

1,000 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Seremban
personally i am talking about purchasing camshafts instead of swapping.

so if you say customized, then you got me there point blank as i do not have experience with them before.

if you are talking about tradeoffs, which one are you sacrificing? torque or Hp?

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
Boink Boink said:
CAM swaps are prob the best money can buy, without going Forced Asp.
I think NOS is best bang for buck.

RM2,500++ = 50 hp GUARANTEE

Boink Boink

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
Miton - I oso dunno ler If I know I ask you guys mer..??? :) thanks though.

Koeker - Have that in the pipeline for a year already. Ask you a pop quiz, you think a stock engine will hold? 25HP? Wondering if anyone else that you might know has voluntereed to become the guniue pig? :) Remember this one not some honda vtec engine or some blardy reinforced L2 engine hor.

KCi

Jan 2, 2004
Hey Boink,

I don't not know what Camshaft you have opted for but the truth is you won't feel or notice much of improvement below 3,000RPM. This is what I'm facing right now. Frankly speaking, I'm using PowerZone Performance High-Camshaft. Definitely, the improvement gain in low-end is so marginally that you hardly felt. Moreover, my car is fitted with their extractor too and coupled with SAFC.

However, when you rev high enough, the power is there. The power delivery is so abrupt that you will be suprise. Just last weekend, I was on the traffic light and I'm quite hurry in time. One stock 1.5GLi Wira (I presumed so) was on full throttle, by the time I realized he is on pedal-to-metal mode, I was one car length belong him. However, after full 1st 3 gears red line, I'm able to overtake him easily. Just like that.

Just get used to the lower or slower response in <3K RPM. You may improve that by increase your compression and ported head. These 2 items alone already set you back at least RM2000. With this money, better go for transplant my friend.

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
here some the cars I've seen with 50 shot NOS (50 hp).

1. Siemens ECU Wira 1.5 Auto

2. Toyota Corolla 1.6 Auto

3. Toyota RAV4 Auto

All above cars are stock standard engine.

50 shot NOS on stock standard engine is most basic set up.

Boink Boink

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
KCI - you dont mind me asking what car are you using? I cannot sya that I dont agree with you. But what I was thinking, as per what joeker said, was perhaps I was expecting too much.
Anyway since you asked, I am using a Aussie Import High Torque Camshaft, 250+ duration. The next step is a 270+ cam which is a bit difficult for idling as my car is an auto and needs to be in town traffic.
That said, how much advance are you dialing into your cams? you have an adjustable pulley right?

joeker - I know which Rav4 your are talking about and prob also who is the nitrous supplier. Already have a set, second hand, but I shelved it for a while, unsure as to whether to progress or not. So if I were to ask you to put your gut feeling would you go ahead if you were me?

Anyways, my basic complint was that, was there anything I am missing for me to feel somewhat not so thrilled with my cam replacement.

KCi

Jan 2, 2004
Hey Boink,
I'm driving 4G15 Wira with manual transmission. Yes, I have adjustable cam pulley installed along with my camshaft. If I'm not mistaken, the advance was on 2-5degree. I had tried to dial in more but my engine started to ping. The advancement gives better feel in lower end but still lag or below my expectation. Hopefully I'm answer your question well.

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
how bout duration 292,full lift 107. is that hardcore race cams or just a semi race cam?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys,

Plan to go light weight rim to replace on my existing heavy JRD rim.
RPF1 with 4.4kg / rim quoted RM2400. However, Lenso with 5.8kg / rim quoted RM 1100.

Understand that Lenso is mfg from Thailand, and is quite fresh for me on the rim quality. Therefore, would like to ask for opinion on Lenso rim. Any user here? can share? Thanks.:hmmmm:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience