Old School Cars Discussion

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
ya.... crazy prices.... but previously, those cheap units were not really nice and needed work. The ones up on sale now look pretty good actually.
Depends on perspective. Some of these for sale now looks a bit too riced up with fancy stickers, wide bodykits.

Previously, I have seen a few Supra for sale which is quite close to stock condition. Just that some of them comes with automatic gearbox. Now, do you think FD3S RX-7 will end up like this as well? Price hike in a few more years.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Old car prices are between buyer and seller. Desperate for one will willingly pay high price......lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Old car prices are between buyer and seller. Desperate for one will willingly pay high price......lol
But now, it seems like several Supra owners have decided to sell at such high price. Trying to manipulate market price together? :hmmmm:

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
But now, it seems like several Supra owners have decided to sell at such high price. Trying to manipulate market price together? :hmmmm:
Yeah, more like since some one sell at such high price i might as well try too.
They might learn their lesson when nobody calls up and then lower the price, look at that AE86 on mudah, first ask for 130K now down to 86K.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
has been happening to several models... celicas could be had for under 40k when i was looking.. then suddenly... all went up to 50-70k... aiyoh crazy... after a few months then jatuh balik... happens every once in a while.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yeah, more like since some one sell at such high price i might as well try too.
They might learn their lesson when nobody calls up and then lower the price, look at that AE86 on mudah, first ask for 130K now down to 86K.
Too much increment. If is like trying to sell like 100k-110k, perhaps that is still acceptable. But now, the increase is like as much as 50-60k more from 80-90k. A Supra is not even that high on demand over here. In western countries, I heard that their price did went up in recent times. I notice Malaysians are more inclined towards Skyline than Supra. I've seen more Skyline than Supra on the roads.

has been happening to several models... celicas could be had for under 40k when i was looking.. then suddenly... all went up to 50-70k... aiyoh crazy... after a few months then jatuh balik... happens every once in a while.
Which Celica?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I would guess it's about repair - that there is a certain set of skills and methods and tools and traditions in repairing cars that don't have computers, and that you have a definite step change when you add computers into the mix.
>>>
You are right about this. When it comes to repairing old school cars which is mechanically based, the skill of the mechanic is very important to detect problems and how to tune the car. Things like OBD and ECU is not present in old school cars and you really have to know what you are doing to properly tune the car. Unfortunately, most young mechanic nowadays are taught to repair and maintain modern cars with electronics. They probably can't do much when it comes to old school cars.

Last edited by a moderator:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
You are right about this. When it comes to repairing old school cars which is mechanically based, the skill of the mechanic is very important to detect problems and how to tune the car. Things like OBD and ECU is not present in old school cars and you really have to know what you are doing to properly tune the car. Unfortunately, most young mechanic nowadays are taught to repair and maintain modern cars with electronics. They probably can't do much when it comes to old school cars.
You reply to spammer. Delete his link in your reply quote......

Back to topic, actually old school without electronics nice to play with. Everything manually can adjust. The carbs got adjustment can change the fuel feed needle/pin, clean the contact points (pak kam) and so on. I am from old school era mah!.....lol:biggrin:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Too much increment. If is like trying to sell like 100k-110k, perhaps that is still acceptable. But now, the increase is like as much as 50-60k more from 80-90k. A Supra is not even that high on demand over here. In western countries, I heard that their price did went up in recent times. I notice Malaysians are more inclined towards Skyline than Supra. I've seen more Skyline than Supra on the roads.

Which Celica?
7th gen's

Back to topic, actually old school without electronics nice to play with. Everything manually can adjust. The carbs got adjustment can change the fuel feed needle/pin, clean the contact points (pak kam) and so on. I am from old school era mah!.....lol:biggrin:
these newer cars... some sc's are so reliant on their diagnostic tools that they cannot really deal with issues without them.....

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

Eh? I got tricked. Good thing I din't click on the link.

Agree with you. The mechanical charm is unique and they can't be found in newer cars anymore. 2 days ago, I drove the unused Saga Iswara for petrol refuel as requested by my grandfather. The engine is not even in a good condition as I have mentioned before several times. Not even using good engine oil, cheap mineral oil. After driving the Iswara, I drove my Wira out again for refuel. What I found out after driving both cars consecutively, the Iswara's seems to have a faster throttle response than my Wira. Response just feels so direct even with air conditioner turned on. Back to my Wira, although the torque feels stronger and it is faster, the throttle response is slower even with air conditioner turned off. Can't believe that the poorer condition Iswara seems more fun to drive than my car.

7th gen's

these newer cars... some sc's are so reliant on their diagnostic tools that they cannot really deal with issues without them.....
I thought 7th gen price still remains under 50k now? Or was is long time ago when you say they are at 50-70k?

My mechanic told me a story about his friend's son who worked several years in Peugeot SC centre. When my mechanic's friend's Toyota Unser got problem with the radiator clutch fan, his son don't know how to fix it. Don't even know how to remove and install the clutch fan. Later on, another car of the father got problem, Toyota LE as my mechanic said. I guess that is AE80 Corolla? My mechanic said again the son don't know how to fix that car. The father ended up thinking the son is a useless fella because worked few years in Peugeot SC also don't know how to fix other cars.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Eh? I got tricked. Good thing I din't click on the link.
I thought 7th gen price still remains under 50k now? Or was is long time ago when you say they are at 50-70k?

My mechanic told me a story about his friend's son who worked several years in Peugeot SC centre. When my mechanic's friend's Toyota Unser got problem with the radiator clutch fan, his son don't know how to fix it. Don't even know how to remove and install the clutch fan. Later on, another car of the father got problem, Toyota LE as my mechanic said. I guess that is AE80 Corolla? My mechanic said again the son don't know how to fix that car. The father ended up thinking the son is a useless fella because worked few years in Peugeot SC also don't know how to fix other cars.
nowadays easily under 50k.... some decent ones under 40 even. price fluctuates like nuts... for 6 months the prices were what i would call 'silly'....

xtaulah some of these mechanics... maybe too used to peugeot related stuff. Then again clutch fan.... not exactly a difficult piece to deal with... maybe he doesnt know how to troubleshoot without diagnostics.... in peugeot, if ade issues, replace je...
OR
son just too lazy to tolong his father.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
nowadays easily under 50k.... some decent ones under 40 even. price fluctuates like nuts... for 6 months the prices were what i would call 'silly'....

xtaulah some of these mechanics... maybe too used to peugeot related stuff. Then again clutch fan.... not exactly a difficult piece to deal with... maybe he doesnt know how to troubleshoot without diagnostics.... in peugeot, if ade issues, replace je...
OR
Maybe limited or totally no exposure to these old stuff. Everyday fix modern tech Peugeot, don't know how to deal with these maybe. I'm not sure whether those automotive colleges actually taught students on older technologies or not.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Maybe limited or totally no exposure to these old stuff. Everyday fix modern tech Peugeot, don't know how to deal with these maybe. I'm not sure whether those automotive colleges actually taught students on older technologies or not.
quite sure adelah. i mean look at us.... we tadak study ape:laugh: can still to a certain extent troubleshoot with the help of others....

now my front sway bar bushings kaput.. car was making ill noises so jacked it up, reached up, bushing perished in my hands.... :rolleyes:gona be so noisy this week..... looking for pu bushings, nobody seems to want to get back to me...

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
But sometimes not all problem can check from the diagnostics. Loose wire instead of the unit have problem. Sometimes got problem no CEL, sometimes got CEL, but diagnostics say no problem......lol

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang

OR
same story here, my bawah pokok pomen son work with bmw SC penang.
But i never see his son give hand when father work with old car. :mad:
Sometimes have to hands ON, not not hands ON scantool. lol...
That why i always tell new factory intake, learn to run machine in manual mode. So can troubleshoot faster.
Auto mati, is mati sure cannot learn. :sleep:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I drive a Daihatsu Charade G100 that is carburatored.

My car does not come with auto choke so during cold starts, how long should I have the choke on?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience